Servicing / Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeb

Reaction score
Hey guys.

The Libby is about ready for its first oil change, but I'd really rather take it to one of the quicklube places than the stealership.

The problem is that I vaguely remember the salesman saying the following words in the same sentence: "serviced", "authorized", "warranty", "invalidated".

Is there any clause of any document that necessitates dealer service as opposed to quicklube or self-service in relation to warranty terms violation? I've got the schedule book, and I assume I could just have the quicklube people stamp it or what-have-you. Is that right?

Thanks.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick lube place is just fine. You can even do it yourself. Just keep the receipt in case anything ever happens.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, from what I've been told you just have to prove that the oil was actually changed so they can't blame it on improper maintenence.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, the first oil change is free. Yeah, it takes longer to go to the dealer and sit around with the soccer moms. Just keep a record that it was changed. I can't believe DCX would try and pull something because you used someone else. Hopefully you'll never have a problem anyway!

jeb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just went on and had it quicklubed and threw a can of BG44K in the gas tank and all is right with the universe.

And, yeah, hopefully I'll never need another major warranty service. The PCM (powertrain control module) went out on the sixth day I had it, and it took them 8 days to get a new one and plug it in. I was livid, but there wasn't much I could do. I contend that, in its infancy, it just broke down to show off. Hopefully it's grown out of that phase.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, obviously just a bad part to start with. Well, really I haven't had any problems in 18 months. Seems to be very well built. No bad parts so far!

rogersjam

Reaction score
You don't need a dealer. For maintenance, there's no reason you must rely on a dealership, which might charge more than an independent shop. It rarely takes a lot of special equipment and know-how to change the oil or flush a cooling system. Federal law gives you the right to service your vehicle wherever you like without affecting your warranty.
(from Consumerreports.org and signs posted in independent service shops in my area)

gavin

Reaction score
Rogersjam is right on. Also, you don't need to prove that you have properly maintained your car for warranty. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that you DIDN'T.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gavin said:
Rogersjam is right on. Also, you don't need to prove that you have properly maintained your car for warranty. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that you DIDN'T.

If they say "the engine seizure at 45,000 miles is because you never changed the oil", I think it would be in your best interest to have receipts to back up the fact that you did change the oil.

I bring mine into the dealership rather than to a quicky-lube place for a few reasons:

#1, Jiffy Lube is around $40 for an oil change. I thought those places were supposed to be cheap. My dealership generally charges $25 for an oil change.

#2, Free first day rental w/ the extended warranty - I can drop my Jeep off in the evening before 6pm or in the morning after 8am, sign the paperwork and drive off in a rental car. When the oil change is done, they call me, and I come back by with the rental at my convenience. Sure beats waiting in line at the JiffyLube.

#3, the dealership takes care of the paperwork. I do try to save all the receipts, but it's nice to know that I can always just say "I brought it to the dealership, you should have it in your records".

Latest posts

Members online