OBDLinkMX+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzrbrn48

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD with about 200K miles. I am the original owner. I keep the oil changed and it has always been maintained and serviced on schedule and by a dealership. Lately it has been in getting repaired a lot. This last time when I picked it up it ran better than it has since about 2007 or so. Then about 50 miles or so after this last repair it went bonkers again. The rpms go up and speed goes down, way down. Engine light is on.

I am not a mechanic. To give you a feel for my level of incompetency, early on, as in 2007 or so, I changed the oil drain plug from the female Allen wrench type to a more traditional male type plug, so it would be easier to unscrew. And then, yes...either I overtightened or one of the oil change shops overtightened and the pan stripped. This was fixed. But this has nothing to do with what is going on now.

I just bought the OBDLinkMX+ bluetooth scanner. I have an iPhone 7s. I downloaded the requisite software and did a firmware update. This scanner works well when connected to my Ram truck. I am hoping to identify the Jeep codes that relate to this newest incident of the engine light coming on and operating as noted above.

However the scanner will not connect to the Jeep. Does anyone have this particular scanner and is there something I am missing? As I said it connects fine to my Ram truck.

I tried to search on this website for any previous discussions related to this subject but to no avail. If this has been addressed in a previous threat would someone please just direct me to it?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Does OBD LinkMX+ have a help phone number? It may be best to consult with company if possible.
In the meantime to obtain codes, you could borrow a hardwired scanner from Autozone to obtain codes & clear them.
I have a dedicated compact "Scan Gauge II" which is very useful and works well across a very broad range of vehicles perfectly.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the OBDLinkMX+ on my 3.7 with the torque app with no problems on my Android Phone.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check the big rubber air intake hose that runs from the airbox to the turbo. They tend to rot out underneath near the turbo from oily air introduced by the crankcase ventilation system. This introduces air giving false readings from the sensors on the airbox. Another possibility is a hole rotted in one of the hoses running from the turbo to the intercooler, or the intercooler to the intake manifold. All these holes will cause a loss of power.

The odd thing you mentioned is that the revs go up and the power goes down. Check the transmission fluid and you might try adding more above the full mark. Some of the dipsticks are too long and give false readings. Mine is a 2005 and the dipstick bottoms out against the transmission oil pan and needs to be ziptied down or it pops open on top. I keep meaning to fix that. A transmission code will trip the check engine light with a p0700 code, (I think), which only lets you know there's a transmission code. It takes a special reader to get the actual transmission code.

I don't know anything about your code reader. I got a scangauge which reads and erases codes and displays lots of information. It also needs all the basic parameters reprogrammed everytime the CRD jeeps are turned off so it isn't a good pick for a CRD owner. Check on the LOSTJEEPS forum for what works best on our CRDs. My money's spent so I don't know. LOSTJEEPS has the best info and knowhow on the 2.8 CRD. It's the goldmine.

Good luck!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I looked around on LOST for code readers that work well and some are using what you have and others are using Torque which is android only. One guy said the protocol to use is ISO 9141-2 and another suggested leaving the ignition off during the initial steps.

Mysterious stuff to me.