Serious Questions Regarding UCA Prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two years ago the dealership replaced the upper control arms on my 04 lifted Liberty because of failed upper ball joints. This month the MVI failed because of bad brakes & a bad upper ball joint on the passenger's side. I've taken care of the brakes but the dealership states that the 1 year warranty on the UCA's has expired. There was no discussion of a recall.

Now I know that the Mopar UCA ball joints aren't serviceable, I need a whole new one but the dealership is quoting my approximately $350 Cdn for a single UCA.

I've been seriously considering a pair od UCA's from Al's for about $400 USD however I'm reading similar discussions on this forum with prices far less;

I'm also in need of some UCA's due to some deteriorating ball joints. These are the options from RockAuto. Is the "Professional Grade" really any better than the Moog?

$41.89 DORMAN Part # 520354 {#52088632AC}

$56.79 RAYBESTOS Part # 5021039B Service Grade; Ball Joint

$60.99 MEVOTECH Part # MK3198 {#K3198}

$66.79 AUTO EXTRA / CHASSIS RITE Part # AXK3198 {#RK3198}

$98.89 MOOG Part # K3198

$114.79 ACDELCO Part # 45D1039 {#89036883}

$132.99 RAYBESTOS Part # 5021039 Professional Grade

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48705&page=2

I suppose I'll have to replace the pair of UCA's. It's not likely wise to ride with a Mopar UCA on one side and a non-Mopar one on the other.

Please chime in with your opinions. I need to order something soon. The Reject sticker on my Libby is only good for two weeks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any of the above ones would or ( should ) be the same as OEM so you could in fact replace just one.
You do get what you pay for though and some of those may have cheaper boots etc Who knows ???
Cheaper for you at this time though

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with the als, i just lifted and put in als gen 4.5 a arms and they are a well built product and if your upper ball joints go bad again they are replaceable, (in addition to being greasable for regular maintenance) it may be a bit expensive but its a good product and you do get what you pay for

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with the als, i just lifted and put in als gen 4.5 a arms and they are a well built product and if your upper ball joints go bad again they are replaceable, (in addition to being greasable for regular maintenance) it may be a bit expensive but its a good product and you do get what you pay for

I have the 4.5's also and love them. I have had them on now for....8 months maybe...maybe a little more. I highly recommend them and wish I swapped mine sooner. It is a chunk of change but, I have taken on the approach several others here have, when it breaks, upgrade. With the lift, depending on how much you have, it is almost if not actually needed. I am sitting at about 3" of lift right now. :)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have an update and a confession :icon_frown:

Today I bought a single UCA from a local parts supplier because the price was only $140 and it was in stock. I can have my Libby legally back on the road by the end of this weekend.

Later this year before the snow flies I do plan to buy a pair of JBA's UCA. They really are the best choice for a lifted Libby.

If anybody's interested I can always take pics of the repair and post them. It might be educational.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
LF too bad I did not see this earlier. Sure post up a few pics...
I have my stock A-Arms that came off my 04 rig with 35k miles on it.
Anyways you got something for now...
Until you get to the 4.5 good stuff......Hope the replacements are ok...
Sure like my new suspension and no more spring contact!
40921[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• NoSpringContactNow.jpg
    NoSpringContactNow.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick update.

I've replaced the bad ball joint/UCA and have noticed that the rattle that I used to hear from the passenger's side front is gone. I was thinking that the noise was from a bad shock but it must have been the ball joint.

Also after doing the brake job earlier this week I've noticed the flutter in the steering wheel is gone too. I suspect from the front brake rotors that were replaced.

So even though I took a hit to my wallet I'm happy with the results and satisfied that I did all the repairs. I don't even want to think of what it would cost if I took it to a garage.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So even though I took a hit to my wallet I'm happy with the results and satisfied that I did all the repairs. I don't even want to think of what it would cost if I took it to a garage.

Yeah, it does feel good to do the job yourself doesn't it.

I've done my own maintenane and such on my motorcycles for years, and just recently started doing the Jeep stuff by myself too.

Good to hear everything went well for you

"Greasy hands and a sweaty brow lead to a clean conscious and a good soul"

Joe Mann

Reaction score
my 03 was covered by a recall to replace both upper ball joints.No cost to me.Check with your dealership.