select trac transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatfoot

Reaction score
Hello to all.

Pleae forgive this question, as I am inexperienced with four wheel drive vehicles and have a few questions about it, as I am deciding on which jeep configuration to get.
The question I have is pertaining to the select trac option. And please forgive me, if I ask a question that I have mistaken assumptions on.

1) You have the option of full time 2wd or full time 4wd on dry pavement.
If conditions are optimal, why would one use one mode over the other? Is it a gas savings item, or easier on the vehicle in 2wd?

2) The difference between part time 4wd(used on snow, mud etc), is different that full time 4wd, because the front and rear tires are given a bit of freedom of movement on their own, so as not to hop the tires?
So the part time 4wd, is really a stronger four wheel drive(meaning traction potential is greater), then the full time, because the full time doesnt lock in all four tires?

3) If you need to tow someone out of a ditch, or for short towing, and you need to use the low gear, you have to be moving first to place it in low, and then you can utilize the vehicle for what you want. So you would have to get it into low first, before attaching whay you are towing, or pulling out of a ditch.

4) I basically have moved to a home, that is sort of up the side of a mountain, that is dirt paved and the road doesnt get plowed by locality.

5) Does one really need the select trac, if they dont go off roading, but travel a lot in inclement weather, in the new england area?

So I need to go up and down about a 3/4 of a mile to get to main road in all types of weather, and I think the liberty fits my price range, and wants.

2003KJ

Reaction score
First off, (welcome)

To answer your questions...

1) One would use the 4 Full Time option in the rain, for added traction, or on roads with lose dirt or gravel (if necessary). MOST owners with the Selec-Trac leave it in 2HI for 95% of their driving.

2)You will still experience slight wheel hop if you are in Full Time on dry pavement and make a sharp turn at slow speeds, as the power to each axle ratio is 48% to 52%, with 48% going to the front, if I remember correctly.

3) Depending on the conditions (dry, snowy, etc), and the type of ditch (steep vs. not steep), as well as what your pulling out (say a truck/SUV vs. a small car), you could probably do it in 4hi. As far as shifting to 4lo, it's better to be rolling, but it can often times be done sitting still. I've done it both ways. If you need to do it sitting still, try shutting the engine off with the transmission in neutral (which it needs to be in neutral anyways, even when you're rolling at 2-3mph) and then shifting it. Then restart and go about your towing.

4 & 5) If I knew then what I know now about Jeeps, I would have found one with the selec-trac back when I was in the market. It is VERY handy for those times when things like your local roads and driveway and such are not plowed, and the main roads are plowed, or have patches that are still slick. This will keep you from having to switch b/w 2HI and 4HI (if you have the command-trac) all the time.

Bottom line, if you have the option to get a KJ with selec-trac, DO IT. You will not regret it.

bfaas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this man speaks the truth

i have command-trac and i constantly find myself shifting between 2HI and 4HI because the lack of FT 4HI

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 4 wd full during wind, rain, snow.
4 lo can be easily selected, but you ned to have the ****** in neutral to select it.
Steering is a little heavier in 4 fulltime, but not much else is noticable.
With your conditions I'd go for the "06-'07 rigs with traction control.
Unless you have lockers installed you will never have all wheels driving at the same time, you wouldn't want to be fully locked on snow/ice as you spend your time doing uncontrollable spins on the road.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of it is true, except one thing. (whistle)

If the full time 4WD is functioning properly, you should not experience any wheel hop at all. as the label says, you can use it full time- wet, dry, loose, firm, slick, or sticky...full time.I had a Grand Cherokee with selec-trac, and the only difference was a slight bit more noise when using FT4WD.

For the conditions you've described, I'd get the Selec-trac. And in the winter, leave it in FT4WD, then if you hit any surprise ice patches you are ready for action \:D/

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with Select-Trac!! I have Command Trac and having to shift from 2WD to 4WD when conditions are slightly messy is sometimes a pain. I would of gotten Selec-Trac but my experience and knowledge of 4x4's was limited at the time of buying the Jeep.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love Selec-Trac... and agree... get it. I use it all the time in the KJ whenever the roads get wet. It sticks to the road like glue! Plus, then you do have part-time four-wheel drive for when you want to lock the axles together for serious conditions (I was just using that last week for 2.5' drifts!).

On the TJ, with Command-Trac, I find myself shifting in and out of four-wheel drive a lot due to mixed road conditions. I have to say, I wish it too had Selec-Trac.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are exellent systems. We have a WJ with Select-Trac, a KJ with Command-Trac and a JK with Rock-Trac. The select trac is the most user-friendly of the bunch, as you can stick it in 4Full-Time and leave it there forever. You get better milage in 2wd, but obviously better traction in Fulltime. That being said, when I drive the WJ in bad weather (pretty much never, since the Rubicon is mine), it's nice to just leave it in Fulltime. When I drive the rubicon in bad weather, I find that I'll only use 4wd if I need it. Last week for example, I was driving about 120 miles in heavy snow...When there was only a little bit of snow on the roads, I would just leave it in 2wd and save the stress on the drivetrain, but if there was enough snow on the road for me to feel uncomfortable in 2wd, 4wd was there. There really aren't any benefits of one over the other, and I really don't have any preference (except the low range in rock-track, but you can't get that on a liberty [-X ). Where in New England are you? That could make a difference in which transfer case you want.

flatfoot

Reaction score
selec trac

Thanks to all that responded. I understand what its all about now.

Muc thanks

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: selec trac

flatfoot said:
Thanks to all that responded. I understand what its all about now.

Muc thanks
Glad I could help. Remember, you can't get Select-Trac or Command-Trac on a RAV-4 \:D/ .

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a VERY good little anecdote about the uses of the selec-trac transfer case.

Towed a 2WD van from a trail last week. I was going to get my tow gear out but decided to turn around first. I was in FT4WD and slipped off the side of the trail (it's skinnier than I thought). I tried reverse, but wasn't going anywhere. I have the rear LSD, but it was a front wheel that spun freely while the others stayed still. So I popped it into PT4WD and reversed out like I wasn't even stuck in the first place.

Tried yanking the guy out in FT4WD just to see if it could be done, it couldn't so PT4WD got him going a few feet backwards then he was REALLY stuck. I tried yanking him forward but PT4WD didn't seem to have enough "oomph". I put it in 4LOW and pulled him 1/4 mile to the end of the trail with no trouble. Due to it being a cargo van and full of tools, etc, we figured it was very close to, if not over, the 5000lb towing limit of the Libby. It wasn't dead weight (rolling) so I didn't expect it'd hurt too much as long as I was careful

For my daily driving here's what I noted...
2WD and FT4WD have extremely close fuel mileage. So close I've written them off as identical. I've made many long distance trips for comparison and the difference comes down to which trip had more stop-and-go highway traffic. For city driving, the 2WD seems slightly better, but again we're talking less then 1mpg difference. I tend to leave my Libby in FT4WD all the time (summer and winter). Certainly there's more driveline noise, but it doesn't bother me. In the winter the FT4WD absolutely kicks ass on the roads. For me it's a set it and forget it mode of driving.

To sum it up, the Selec-trac transfer case is (IMO) the best thing going. You've got 2WD or AWD for everyday use and PT4WD and 4LOW for when you need it. It has every mode you'll ever need and, the best part is it's user selected, not some fancy computer that decides what it thinks you need.

If you or a friend are stuck beyond this vehicles limitations, you're an off-roader at heart, and you're likely smart enough to already own a winch.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
I have the rear LSD, but it was a front wheel that spun freely while the others stayed still. So I popped it into PT4WD and reversed out like I wasn't even stuck in the first place.

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. From the way this is written it sounds as though the PT4WD option is as good as having lockers front/rear, but I always thought that it simply locked the front/rear together, but it could still slip side to side at either front and/or rear.

So how's it go?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is as good as having lockers front/rear,
No,full time 4wd just lets the front and rear driveshafts turn at different speeds so you can use it on hard surfaces.Part time 4wd locks the f/r driveshafts toghether so they always turn the same speed,if used on hard/dry surface it will cause driveline bind.