Selec-trac, good or bad?.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClintCart

Reaction score
How does everyone like there Selec-trac transfercase, was it really worth getting?. We now have it in our new 07'.
Thanks in advance.
Clint.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES YES YES.

Forget Command Trac, get Selec Trac if you can.
It is everything PLUS full time 4x4 available option.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The only negatives are:

1. Higher purchase price
2. SLIGHTLY lower torque handling rate.

That's about it... Full Time is great for even light offroading.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are bunch of options in LTD that many people don't even need.
Just remove Sunroof, "silver" grill and 6CD changer, there it covered your selec trac option.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I really liked that lead me to select-trac is that the wife doesn't have to make a judgement call as to what's slick enough and not. She doesn't have to worry about playing with the shifter in crappy weather, and I don't have to worry about her binding the drivetrain. Win-win in my opinion. As I have a whopping 900 miles on mine right now, I can't really comment on how well it does. I did put it in full time 4wd for a bit to spin the T-case and see if it really didn't bind on corners. 85* sunny day and there was no wheel hopping or anything on corners.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. Not to mention the damn drivetrain slack on 4x4..
That's what you get with selec trac, it feels loose and feels like it is missing a tooth in the differential! I have no idea why it makes that much bang, but it just does.
If it does in your 4HI, too. Than you won't really be bothered by it.. However, since it locks all 4 wheels in your 4HI, I just dont think it will be as much louder., compared to selec trac.

I am sleepy, sorry if that made no sense

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The center differential.... MORE drivetrain connections and MORE drivetrain SLACK. That's the reason for the bang. I've heard it, it's LOUD. I was making a turn in Full Time, heard it, thought someone hit me or the frame cracked! Everything was fine though.

ClintCart

Reaction score
The thing I really liked that lead me to select-trac is that the wife doesn't have to make a judgement call as to what's slick enough and not. She doesn't have to worry about playing with the shifter in crappy weather, and I don't have to worry about her binding the drivetrain. Win-win in my opinion. As I have a whopping 900 miles on mine right now, I can't really comment on how well it does. I did put it in full time 4wd for a bit to spin the T-case and see if it really didn't bind on corners. 85* sunny day and there was no wheel hopping or anything on corners.

This is a big plus for me too (Wife), we have very little kms. on ours too (like 40).
We had Command trac in the 04 Columbia Edition I like it too but this full time thing is going to be killer in the winter!.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any women driving my Jeep so my Command Trac does just fine. However, having the option of running 4x4 FT would be convenient.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it. I use it in rain, light snow mostly. Sometimes on curvey mountain roads. Once in a while on dry roads for the heck of it. On the boat launch ramp. On a dirt road short cut over the mountain to Sacandaga Lake.

Dave

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first Jeep and I have the Selec Trac. I can't comment on not having it for that reason. I do know that I use my FT alot here in Guam. When it rains, these roads get slick as shit. I used it off-road a bit, but mostly just stuck it in 4L and crawled around for a while.

I can't imagine not having it.

billy

Reaction score
select rtac

is it possable to swap a select trac for a command trac transfer case with little problems?
what is all involved?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billy, you've asked the same question in about 4 different threads. No disrespect here buddy, but the how-to writeup is the best writeup you are going to find. It's fairly straight-forward, and shouldn't change between years.

My advice (no offense) is that if you can read it and visualize and understand what he's saying, you'll be fine. If you're not understanding it, I think the swap will be over your head.

Not many people have done it, so IMO, that's about the only information you're going to fine. Basically unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in, swap handles.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping a 242 in place of a 231 is a little involved,need new drive shafts(off donor KJ),new shifter(off donor KJ),linkage,and wiring to make the lights lite up correctly in the dash(if you so choose),why would you want to do it anyway? There are 3 versions of the 242 t-case and the one offered in the KJ is the weakest version,and is half the strength of the 231 t-case.
is it possable to swap a select trac for a command trac transfer case with little problems?
what is all involved?
Your best bet isto trade in your 231 KJ for a KJ with a 242,you'd spend the same amount on the trade in lose as you would swapping the t-cases,would save alot of time and headaches and you will retain your factory warrenty.Yep that's right you will lose all thge warrenty pertaining to the whole driveline by doing the swap,to include that lifetime warrenty if you got it.

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
few things:

1. if i wansnt on my phone id post the link, but google (selec trac wiki) and read the wiki on jeep tx case tech....about selec, command, quadra, ect worth a read

2. i run full time most always even off road no prob. avoid binding is a good thing. people with lockers who know what they r saying will say the same, dont lock em lett u need to, to avoit excess wear and tear, imho this applies to lockin the tx case too.

3. hyp, LOL ur tired hehehe, ya u didnt make much sense there so for clarification...stock libbys dont lock all tires (differentials open in front, lsds in bak on some libbys, open in bak on others) i think u know this but it wasnt clear in ur post so im saying it. no offense =)

4. is there more slop in the selec vs command? im not understanding this... y swap away from selec to command? i havnt noticed a difference in this respect.

5. after i read the wiki on the differences in these tx cases, i dont see any real advantage to one vs the other that cant b overcome by the application of clever operation with either. i decided to get selec for the extra option...