Security Concern Re: Vin #

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so this information was passed along to me, probably 3rd hand at best.

Turns out thieves, have been walking up to DC (including Jeep) vehicles, writing down the VIN number, calling a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealership and saying they've lost thier keys, here's my vin #, they look it up and have a new key cut for the criminal, pay the charge and walks back to your Jeep and drive off.

Now either they're working with someone inside the dealership, (gives stealership a new meaning) for the person at the dealership is as dumb as they come not to check for ID or the such.

So the information suggested that you use a business card to cover up a portion or all the numbers. I looked at my Liberty, the VIN number is in a odd place (versus other vehicles) but a business card or large index card will block a portion or all the numbers.

I hope this isn't true.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
wow, that is truly eye opening.
i think i'll block it partially too,
what we can all do tho is call your dealership, and ask them the process one would take if someone did lose their keys....(tho what one sez, isnt exactly the whole store policy) but it's a good start to see if it can or will happen in your area

2003KJ

Reaction score
If this becomes a re-occuring problem, I think we should all contact Chrysler personally and alert them to the situation, and let them know "we're not happy".

Frankly, I'm not surpsied this is happening. Seriously, how hard is it to do that? Walk up, get the number, walk into the dealer, and poof, you got a set of keys to a car that doesn't belong to you.

Certainly does make you think though....... :-k

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i guess it's good to have an auxiliary alarm system. I have one, and w/o the FOB, to disable the alarm, you wont be able to start the KJ, but still thats beatable too. it's just stupid, you know people doing such atroicous things...
raises our premiums, and doesnt make us feel any better when we leave the KJ outside....

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I parked a Land Rover (not mine) at the dealership. There was no available parking so I parked in the back near the dumpsters. I was there at most an hour and when I came out the truck was gone. When I talked to the manager he said they had no idea whos vehicle it was and they had to move it so they cut a key in the parts dept. and moved it them selves. He even offered me the key.

Moral of the story: If you want another key made just go to the dealer and park like an idiot for a while (whistle)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Note really a problem

TargetPractice said:
Obscuring your VIN isn't going to do much.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Thanks for the link. Good info!

Well, with anything, sometimes you just have to be careful not to set yourself up to be a victim. There are little things that you can do to make yourself not as attractive as the guy next to you.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do you guys think that you are overreacting at all? 8-[

It's true. You got a VIN, the dealer can make a key. No biggie, and I'm very surprised some of you didn't know this already.

2 years ago, my mom's Kia was in the dealer for a body shop repair. The geniuses locked the keys in it, running of course. Very smart. We discovered it when it was finished, and it was locked. Before we could even start to tell the service manager what had happened, a mechanic came running with a freshly cut key, which we now have as a spare.
No offense, guys...

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile a go, there used to be an alarm system that used a starter kill switch, but it incorporated a electronic keypad, if you didn't enter the correct number, didn't start. I wonder if they still make those?

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before even clicking the link I went over to snopes and grabbed the link to their write up -- glad to see it was already posted up.

I think what everyone is forgetting though is that if someone wants your vehicle they will take it. If they cant get a key they'll drag it away on a flatbed.....

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
I think what everyone is forgetting though is that if someone wants your vehicle they will take it. If they cant get a key they'll drag it away on a flatbed.....

(word)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sentry Key enters the picture again-- if you have a sentry key for your libby, even if you have a properly cut key, they wont be able to start the vehicle. Get in, yes, but not start it. They'd need to hook up to the BCM to update the key info in order for any newly cut key (assuming it's one with a chip in it) to work properly.

-Blu

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
what we can all do tho is call your dealership, and ask them the process

You're forgetting, Jon that your NYS DMV reggie window sticker has your VIN printed on it as well. Obsure it and you'll get a $5000 ticket..or there abouts. I saw this on a news clip and they were predominantly old model Chryslers. I wouldn't worry about it.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
CHUD said:
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
what we can all do tho is call your dealership, and ask them the process

You're forgetting, Jon that your NYS DMV reggie window sticker has your VIN printed on it as well. Obsure it and you'll get a $5000 ticket..or there abouts. I saw this on a news clip and they were predominantly old model Chryslers. I wouldn't worry about it.

#-o forogot about that..they are so **** about that too, place it the wrong way...TICKET!!! oh well...there goes that idea...

Members online

No members online now.