Second Battery Options and Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I've got alot of accessories in my KJ and I'm thinking about installing a second battery. I've got 8 KC lights, 2 walmart lights, a hard wired GPS, a CB, and an alternate horn. Needless to say those things pull alot of power so what are my options for installing a second battery?

Where could I put it?
How would I connect them?
Would my alternator charge both?
Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
just added weight but with that much i would have already added a 2nd battery..lol

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Ultimately you want both batteries close together, this maybe hard to do with the under hood space on the KJ.....yes your alt will charge both batteries, but, it may be ******* the factory alt to do so.

Hook them up paralell

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd run an isolator, I'll put up details once I find them, I have a doc somwhere.
Charges both but keeps them separate. In my other vehicle one battery only runs the starter, the other everything else. That way if you run one down you can always start your motor.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd run an isolator, I'll put up details once I find them, I have a doc somwhere.
Charges both but keeps them separate. In my other vehicle one battery only runs the starter, the other everything else. That way if you run one down you can always start your motor.

Every boat I have seen with dual batteries run an isolator and a vast majority also have a battery selector switch (off-1-2-both). Marine stuff is designed to be reliable and sometimes redundant so you are less likely to be stranded. If you want to see how fancy you can get check out some marine forums, but just an isolator like 4x4 said should be sufficient.

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a post of mine from another forum, we were also talking about batteries.

Optima batteries:
Red top - for high but short loads. i.e. starter motor or winch
Yellow top - deep cycle for extended drain, high vibration
Blue Top dark grey case - marine deep cycle, extended drain, long sitting times with no use
Blue Top light grey case - combination deep cycle / starting battery, long sitting time with no use

You can't go wrong with a yellow top in a 4x4.

One of the simplest ways to run a dual battery setup is to run a battery isolator, doesn't get any easier.

There are either 3 or 4 terminals on an isolator.

One terminal for positive on battery #1
One terminal for positive on battery #2
One for charge wire from alternator
If your charging system has an excite circuit, a fourth terminal for the excite wire (as in a Toyota).

The batteries are both charged by the alternator but they can't "see" each other, i.e. one won't drain the other in unequal voltage situations.

Should one battery become totally discharged you can boost it by simply bridging the 2 positive terminals on the isolator.

Battery location doesn't matter, put it where it suits you best, just remember that good cable costs lots of money, and the cable might end up costing more than the isolator. Welding cable is my favourite.

As speedracerbubba says you can also run a marine switch, should one of your batteries go dead, all you need to do is bridge the positive terminals on your isolator, or put in a switch and let it do that for you.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
What are my options for a different alternator? I know you can't just swap them out and get more power without changing the bcm because it controls the power output.

Where could I get one of these isolators?

What should I wire to what battery? should I just do all my accessories to the second and leave everything stock to the first one? or will I need to spread it out amoung both?

Basically what your saying is put the battery where ever I can get it. Get an isolator and run the alternator to it. Then connect each battery seperately to the isolator and it will work fine?

How many amps does the isolator need to be good for?

Could I use 6 gauge power wire from a subwoofer ampflier wiring kit to connect the second wire to the isolator?

Does there have to be any connection on the negative post of the second battery?

If I ran only my lights to the second battery would it hurt to possibly over charge the battery when the lights are not in use but the vehicle is still in use and still charging the battery?Would I need some type of constant draw on the battery if it were constantly drawing to prevent over charging it?

What do you guys think about under the rear seat for mounting the second battery? would it be in the way to lay the seats forward and down?

any other ideas for locations to put the second battery? I thought about possibly installing a cold air kit and putting it where the air box is.. what do you think about that?

Last edited:

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
What do you guys think about under the rear seat for mounting the second battery? would it be in the way to lay the seats forward and down?

Well I folded the seats down this afternoon to see how much space there actually was under there and there is no way a battery would fit under there with it down, maybe not even with it up. I thought about just putting it there anyway and never putting the seat down but what if ya know...

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
just buy one (1) strong battery like cuatroXcuatro said and just leave all your lights and whatever hooked up...does your kj have power windows?

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
just buy one (1) strong battery like cuatroXcuatro said and just leave all your lights and whatever hooked up...does your kj have power windows?

i think he was saying that a yellow top is what i should go with for the second. maybe not but yes i have power windows

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
i think he was saying that a yellow top is what i should go with for the second. maybe not but yes i have power windows

well since you do have power windows just buy a good battery and you will be set bc if you didnt have power windows then when you was to run all your lights and then turn you head lights on all of them would dem out.so just buy a good battery and you will be set.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
well since you do have power windows just buy a good battery and you will be set bc if you didnt have power windows then when you was to run all your lights and then turn you head lights on all of them would dem out.so just buy a good battery and you will be set.

Man no offense lol but I don't think you understand how much power my lights pull. I've got 820 watts of light not counting my headlights. Plus all the other things using power in my Jeep like the air conditioning/heat, the stereo, my cb, the electrical units to run the engine its self, the dash lights/gauges. My headlights dim when I roll up a window, turn the ac/heat on, and definitely when I turn my lights on! I don't always run them all at once but on occasion I do. I just don't want to waste the immense amount of money I have spent on these lights by not getting them sufficient power causing them to be dim.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well i was just telling you but a good battery thats made for stuff like that would to fine but my .02 is out of this thread

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Man no offense lol but I don't think you understand how much power my lights pull. I've got 820 watts of light not counting my headlights. Plus all the other things using power in my Jeep like the air conditioning/heat, the stereo, my cb, the electrical units to run the engine its self, the dash lights/gauges. My headlights dim when I roll up a window, turn the ac/heat on, and definitely when I turn my lights on! I don't always run them all at once but on occasion I do. I just don't want to waste the immense amount of money I have spent on these lights by not getting them sufficient power causing them to be dim.

Hey Wes,

In my green Mini, I have a total of 980 watts of frontal light.
One custom high output alternator and dual yellow top Optima batteries.
No problems other than burning out the 230 watt head ligh bulbst every 8-9 hours!
But thats the price I pay for night time high speed driving!

I'm about to add an isolator to the KJ and stuff an additional yellow or blue top battery where the factory air box sits.
(I don't feel like getting into all the mods needed to do this right now, I'll pm you with more detail if you are interested!)

Also, check out this site from the UK:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/
, t
There are batteries there that are low profile racing batteries that can be stuffed almost anywhere!
Some are available in North Amareica BTW!

Remember, where there is a will there is a way!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting a bigger wire from your alternator to your battery's + and from the ground to the - on the battery would probably help a lot too. That little wire coming from the alternator can only handle so many amps before you will start to get some dimming. I plan on putting a 5 gauge or so wire from the battery to alternator and from the battery to the ground. At peak Im pulling over 1500 watts with the head lights. At idle my voltage will drop below 11 volts.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Putting a bigger wire from your alternator to your battery's + and from the ground to the - on the battery would probably help a lot too. That little wire coming from the alternator can only handle so many amps before you will start to get some dimming. I plan on putting a 5 gauge or so wire from the battery to alternator and from the battery to the ground. At peak Im pulling over 1500 watts with the head lights. At idle my voltage will drop below 11 volts.

Do you happen to know what alt. you have on the KJ? How many amps I guess I should say.....