Second Battery Options and Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
You got problems with the PCM or battery if your dropping below 11 volts.

With my stock alt(136amp) and Odyssey PC1500 battery(Sears Diehard P4) I get very little dimming when using my winch which pulls over 450amps(figure that into watts).

That's 5400 watts for the winch alone...how big is the CCA on the diehard? 750-800CCA's?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock alt is 136amp, 160 on rennys.

Nothing wrong with the PCM or anything, just cant put out enough to keep the volts up at idle. With the engine revved to 1500rpm or so it went back up to 14 volts. Going to do the big 3(Ill call it big 2) and see if that helps anything.

Battery may be getting weak too. Its going on 5 years. May get a yellow top or a Diehard when that time comes. Ive ran the current red top slap dead around 5 times now. :)

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock alt is 136amp, 160 on rennys.

Nothing wrong with the PCM or anything, just cant put out enough to keep the volts up at idle. With the engine revved to 1500rpm or so it went back up to 14 volts. Going to do the big 3(Ill call it big 2) and see if that helps anything.

Battery may be getting weak too. Its going on 5 years. May get a yellow top or a Diehard when that time comes. Ive ran the current red top slap dead around 5 times now. :)
Stay away from Optima's,Johnson Controls now own Optima and the 1st thing they did was fire all the engineers,which all now work for Odyssey,dragging there reliabilty down also(think toyota).The DieHard Platinum P4 is made by Odyssey( has the same specs as my Odyssey PC1500) for about the same price as the Yellow Top.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score

ha! i've got some generic everstart something and have ran it bone dry more times than i can count in less than a year, i'm not sure on the date on it i need to check it really but soon as its gone i'm probably gonna go with that die hard tj showed me

OptimaJim

Reaction score
Hello, I saw some confusion surrounding our batteries and wanted to help out however possible. BlueTops have threaded top posts, but are otherwise identical internally to their YellowTop (BlueTop/light gray case) and RedTop (BlueTop/dark gray case) counterparts. We strongly recommend using YellowTops for winching or any other deep-cycling applications. Winches should always be attached to top posts.

Johnson Controls has continually improved the production process of Optima batteries, including the continued use of 99.99% pure, virgin lead, since acquiring the company in 2000. Most of the “bad” batteries returned to us today are merely deeply-discharged and work fine when properly recharged. This video explains how to recharge a deeply-discharged AGM battery- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

Weston, whether you are choosing larger capacity batteries or multiple batteries, it’s a good idea to make sure your alternator is up to the task of charging them properly. Dimming headlights indicate an alternator is not supplying enough power and given the demands you are putting on your electrical system, a high output alternator might be a wise investment. It might also be a good time to check your grounds. There is no such thing as a ground that is “too good” and one-wire alternators are especially sensitive to good, quality grounds. As JeepJeepster mentioned, doing “the Big 3” upgrade is cheap insurance in the long run.

Although our batteries are sealed, it is important that any lead-acid battery has proper ventilation. ALL lead-acid batteries can vent gas. Traditional wet batteries do this immediately when recharged, since they are not sealed. Sealed lead-acid batteries like Optimas and all other “dry cell” AGM batteries have safety release valves that should only vent if they are seriously overcharged.

Under normal operating conditions, an AGM battery will not vent gas. Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for enclosed spaces, like passenger compartments, is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle. If someone custom-mounts a battery in a passenger compartment we recommend venting the battery to the outside of the vehicle as well. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. Other AGM manufacturers can tell you which of their batteries have ports for venting.

Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there’s a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of “ifs,” but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario. If you have any other questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for coming on here,Jim,maybe you can offer some deals to us?