Scratchy audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD with the factory-installed "RBQ" AM/FM stereo radio with CD player, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls and six Infinity speakers.

The sound coming from all of the speakers has become very scratchy, no matter whether I'm listening to the radio or CDs or how I have the treble, fader and balance controls set.

What might be causing this problem?

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an after market speakers. I used kenwoods in mine. Cost 120$ a pair should be cheaper now (almost a year later) and upgrade to a better radio if you want. I upgraded to a song mex4000bt then just to the next model which is a mexn4100bt. Has Bluetooth and all the goodies and hands free calling as is compatible with steering wheel controls of you buy the kit which I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will replacing only the factory speakers with after-market speakers solve the problem? (I hate buying speakers only to find out that the problem is with the radio or other component).

Please note that I said the scratchy-ness occurs whether the fader-control is set to left or right or the balance-control is set to front or back

Andyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible your speakers are blown, both my front factory speakers basically shredded and sounded like crap. Take a bright light and shine it in the grilles while the stereo is playing and see if the cones are flapping around where they connect to the basket. Also, may want to try some contact cleaner on the head unit controls. May just be dirty contacts. Hard to say without hearing it firsthand.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speakers are blown replace them

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my 4 Infinity door speakers with Alpine Type S 6.5" Speakers and they sounded awesome. They are around $180 CDN a pair but I picked them up on Boxing Day for $68 a pair. Looks like MSRP is around $120 USD.

Alpine

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front and tears are the same size.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CalcityRenegade.

I have the factory-installed "RBQ" AM/FM radio (with 6-Disc CD player) with the upgraded Infinity system with six premium Infinity speakers. The front doors speakers have amps that power the front and rear door speakers, along with the dash speakers.

I got on Crutchfied’s Chat Line and asked about

Alpine SPS-610C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

The agent said the 610C's are components and require more power to drive them. He said the Infinity speakers in the front and rear doors are 2-ohms so, if I replace them with 4-ohm speakers, the power drops by almost half.

The agent recommends that I either:

1. add an amp
2. go with full range speakers in the doors
3. buy 3-ohm speakers like: Infinity Reference REF-6522ix 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

I’d really appreciate your comments