Scraping/rattle sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much different than I was imagining before my initial post..
And I see you've already checked the sway bar links I previously was thinking..
But now it sounds creaky from the outside and clunky from the inside..
My gut instinct from the outside sound though would say control arm bushings like you were talking about spraying(I believe).. but if you've sprayed them and it keeps going..
I'd jack the drivers tire about an inch off the ground and set it on stands with that tires suspension unloaded and about an inch or so off the ground.
Put a pry bar underneath it with the end against the ground and see if you can lift the wheel off the ground easily, or if this causes that noise to happen.
If it doesnt, at least you can start to rule out the lower ball joints..
Is there any visible damage to the upper ball joints or the bushings on either control arms?? Tried seeing from the video but couldn't quite make it out..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't sprayed any bushings yet, but maybe I will. The vid makes it sound clunky but it's not, feels pretty solid, just loud as hell. I thought control arms bushings clunked when bad at low speeds. I think all the bushings are intact.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Found a few vids on youtube of squeaky ball joints...sounded similar. Going to check for play/load up heavily with grease. But it seems like bad ball joints would make the noise just turning the wheel, I don't get any of that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jacked it up and tried moving the wheels around, everything is tight, no play in anything.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just reread my quick check post and realize I left a part out.
After setting it down on stands with the tire off the ground about an inch and suspension unloaded, put your jack under the lower control arm and raise it about 2 more inches before putting the prybar under there..
Didn't realize I left that part out (pretty crucial part of it lol)
But I figured you probably know how to do a quick check anyways.
If it's not that though, pretty much gotta be those bushings for the control arms doesn't it?
Did you try rocking the wheel forward and back (like you'd check your bearings) might show some play in the upper if it's there.. you'd need a jack under the LCA for this part as well..
When I was checking around for spraying the bushings.. seems to be a pretty common thing to do to see if they're the culprit.. but as you mentioned before the fact that it's a creak and not a clunk is what seems to stump me..
Feel like there's gotta be a couple jeep experts out there that know what this could be..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's how I checked the ball joints out...jack under the LCA. I just have no idea what it could be. It sounds just like bad sway bar bushings but it does it with the sway bar disconnected.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had anyone jounce it slowly while you lay under it to see if you can get a better idea of where the noise comes from?

If you do get new ones, do you need extended links because of your lift or do the stock ones work fine for you?
I went with a pair of moogs for just around 40 bucks and it was a great..great investment.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think anyone uses the extended ones...I'll try to have someone rock it with me under it but it just sprung a power steering leak. So I guess that's the priority now.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got your leak fixed!
Are you hopping back on this problem?
Could locate my icar cds and see if I can find some other checks to test out your ball joints if you'd like..
Some of them require you popping it out of the knuckle first but I believe theres another way to check them while still connected.
Don't know if you already know other ways, but just wanted to offer my help if you end up leaning towards the ball joints..

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone uses the extended ones...I'll try to have someone rock it with me under it but it just sprung a power steering leak. So I guess that's the priority now.

Yeah the extended sway bar links aren't needed. You can also have someone walking really close while you drive slow to try and narrow down the noise even further. If you're adventurous then you can have someone hanging on to the underbody on a creeper and listen for the noise.:happy175::happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got your leak fixed!
Are you hopping back on this problem?
Could locate my icar cds and see if I can find some other checks to test out your ball joints if you'd like..
Some of them require you popping it out of the knuckle first but I believe theres another way to check them while still connected.
Don't know if you already know other ways, but just wanted to offer my help if you end up leaning towards the ball joints..

That'd be great. I don't think it's the balljoints but I'd be open to a different test for sure. Hope that isn't too much trouble for you!
Yeah the extended sway bar links aren't needed. You can also have someone walking really close while you drive slow to try and narrow down the noise even further. If you're adventurous then you can have someone hanging on to the underbody on a creeper and listen for the noise.:happy175::happy175:

Sounds like a "hold my beer and watch this!" :gr_grin:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by the creaking I was thinking the bushings, but just by the explanation of the problem I thought sway bar links..
But the only reason I mentioned the ball joints before was a combination of two noises..
I've had clicks, clunks, rattles and creaks all from ball joints.. which is what made me lean towards that, and if you've come across videos that made you think it was possible just figure I'd throw the tests out there if i can find them..
Shit if you'd have been able to ride in my old Taurus when the lbj's went bad, you'd have thought the car was going to fall apart lol.. I realize that with a Macpherson style suspension it's much more noticeable though..
Cuz checking for visual damage or upward play only checks so much in a joint made for rotational movement...
About to start looking through my cds and hopefully they've got something helpful in there. I mean it's icar, so probably just some contradicting information lol.

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Probably not a bad idea, but if it's a suspension related issue, wouldn't you want the suspension to be being used to show movement?
Both ideas would probably work, but if it only makes noise on rough surfaces, would riding under it on smooth surface slowly show the symptoms?
If you lay where the camera is placed for the videos and have someone rock it slowly, you might be able to listen your way toward the problem

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking through and can only find some of my lower entry level cds, like the DAM06 cd for suspension damage analysis.. from the introductory series so doesn't get too in depth..
Basically only shows the vertical play checks for the ball sockets by using a pry bar.. like you've already done.
And to pop the ball joint out and check the shafts to see if it's bent, you can also try to rotate it by hand and see if the ball joint has freed up over time and rotational movements now too easy.
I believe with our ball joints there's a stud on the bottom(10mm) if I remember correctly..
So you may be able to take the nut off the ball joint and still leave it in the control arm and put a socket on the end with the nut removed to check the difficulty of the sockets rotational movement.

Although, if you don't think it's the ball joints you may not even need to check.
I'll look for my other cds and dig them up to see if I can find better info..
Downloaded them all onto a 1TB hard drive then lost it at college :favorites68:

If you do decide to check, may as well unload the suspension and check the tie rod sockets as well.. for them you just need to leave them connected, unload the suspension and firmly grip the tie rod end and push or pull them away from the steering arm on the knuckle.. should show any vertical play.
Although I'm sure you'd already be aware of this after just replacing the steering rack..

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the extended ones and they make all kinds of noise. I get all kinds of looks in parking lots depending on the style of speed bumps they have. I'll eventually put the stock ones back on.