Scraping noise in all 4x4 modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David A. Warr

Reaction score
My 2003 Liberty with select trac is making a scraping noise when in all 4x4 modes. The Jeep was laid up for the winter and was only put back on the road last month. The sound is like the brake pads are worn out and scraping on the rotors but I know that is not the problem. Each mode is working properly. I can’t tell where the noise is actually coming from and the Jeep is running smoothly in all modes. Luckily I don’t need to use the 4x4 option at this time of the year. The sound is worrisome. Thanks for any ideas.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the CV at the rear of the front driveshaft
rubber boot deteriorates , then CV gets dirt etc and goes bad after a few years/ 65-70,000 miles
cost 35-40 to rebuild, very easy to do ( www.driveshaftparts.com )
If not then could be the right side CV/Intermediate shaft , they can make strange noises when more pressure is applied and they are worn out

David A. Warr

Reaction score
Thanks! I jacked up the Jeep on all four corners and ran it in drive at idle speed in all modes. The sound starts at about 20kph, about 12 mph. I could not tell where the sound was coming from. I didn’t want to run it like that with no one in the driver’s seat. A helper would have been good. I have checked the joints and they seem to be ok but with 200,000 km, or 120,000 miles anything could be the issue. I did find a small bit of play in the right wheel bearing and that must have been a poor quality bearing because it was only put in last year and only has about 6000 miles on it. There is no sound at all in two wheel drive. Tomorrow I will change the fluids in the front diff and transfer case.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.