scouting trip this weekend anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im always itching for a scouting trip, esp now =D te he he. IF anyone is interested let me know, going places alone isnt always the best idea. Anyone think of a place they want to go check out or explore? See whats out there? Ideas: BCH, reno pass, telagraph line, some random mountain that looks cool that may hopfully have a dirt road leading to it?

if not ill just have to go toodle arround in my back yard again! Anyone wanna toodle arround in my back yard w/ me? there's places i havent gone b/c i was unshaparoned.

o8k

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see, but I could be in. You're backyard is quite a ways from my backyard, and I still gotta make drawers for the bathroom cabinet, but I could get away for a day. Are we talking Wickenburg area?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, can't make it this weekend. We'll see you on the 18th.

Russ, how about putting a run together down Tucson way? All I ever did in your area was the road down the back side of Mt Lemon before the fire. I've been looking to doing the Mexican Boarder Road through the Patagonia Mountains. But then, I don't know what issues we'd run into with our visitors from the south coming over the fence in that area....

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Patagonia Mountains (Well2 #75, Massey & Wilson South #12) has been on my list for a while as well, and it has a lot of built-in options. Most of what I've read leads me to believe it's mostly just a dirt road. Neon-able, as I like to say, but there are many side trails as I understand it.

One of the other trails I want to do is Gunsight Pass (Wells #72), a.k.a. Helvetia Road, a.k.a. Rosemont Junction. It's closer than the Mexican border.

It would either have to be one of the two weekends following the 18th (08/25 or 09/01) or one of the last two weekends in September. We're out (probably in Colorado) from 09/07 through the following weekend.

Thoughts? Preferences?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ... Wells #73, Gardner Canyon, with it's many side roads also looks interesting. Maybe make a full day of it by combining #72 and #73?

Whatever trail, Beth and I would be up for it. Maybe when you get back from Colorado? We'd probably drive down the night before and get a room somewhere.

Any inputs from other Phoenix area folks???

AJ

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds fun! When we did #73 there after bullhead springs there were lots of side trails ect too, it was fun up there, i would go again no problem, and ive not run #72 yet or #75 Im up for that.

As for this weekend, 0= work chown'ed me! jerks! not sure what day, sat er sunday, one of the two but not the other, or niether! but i have a tentative work comitment unfortunatly. I will know by the end of tomorrow for sure. Hey Russ if your the only one interested, and willing to leave which day to chance till tomorrow.... My "back yard" is right at the very bottom of the White tank mnts 85 and I10. lots of little trails and a good place to play and not be too far away from anything which is nice, but still lots to explore and is usualy quite fun.... But if you dont feel like making the drive that far down, ill kindly meet you somewhere closer to you, too. RUn Mt lemon? er somthing? Wonder if Ram50 (Glen) is in town? So if all this still sounds interesting, ill know when i get home from work tomorrow what the plan is and what day is open. Im supposed to have friday off too! so surely ill have one day off fri,sat, er sun.... not sure....

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mt Lemmon would certainly help to settle your springs - it's an easy run but very bumpy, about 5 miles of dirt road and about 20 miles of bouncy bouncy bouncy. We could run it up, then turn around and run it back down.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that may work ill know end of today what the deal is. ill call glen and see if he wants to go too

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that may work ill know end of today what the deal is. ill call glen and see if he wants to go too

Looks like Im good for sunday. Will that work? If so, where you wanna meet?
Havent heard from Ram50 yet....

Sunday works. We're headed for Oracle - say the western end of American Ave where it comes off 77, there's a Circle-K about a block down American. My map says that it's 2000 W American.

Pick a time. Probably take you two hours to get there from way over where you're coming from.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great,,, ill shoot for about 10am then

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 1/2 hours if you come down 79, instead of coming down I-10 and going up from Tucson. But yeah, it's still a hike. Feel free to say no.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in, ill just leave at 7 nbd. kevin, u goin too? that would be cool =D havent googled the way yet, somone post save my dialup challenged self some work

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can get you directions: Take I-10 outta Phoenix, get on 387 (before Casa Grande) going east toward Florence. 387 T's into 87 after maybe ten miles or so, turn right (southish) and continue on to Florence. 87 turns off south before you get to Florence, ignore it and stay on what is now 287 and get on into Florence. Turn onto 79 south in Florence. 79 goes for a long ways and T's into 77. Turn left on 77, go about 9-10 miles and you'll see the town of Oracle. Turn right onto American Ave, find the first Circle-K on your left.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...havent googled the way yet, somone post save my dialup challenged self some work
Here you go:

- About 135 miles = 2:15 to 2:30 hours

- 10 East
- Exit 167 Riggs Road and East
- 87 South to 287 East into Florence
- 79 South
- 77 and Left to Oracle
- American Ave is on the Right

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k im leaving at 7 ish so i get there bout then ish.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have fun and file a trip report w/pics and let us know how the new lift rides.... :p

Last edited: