Scorched KJ!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the rest of the pics from the scene...

You must be registered for see images

I can't tell where this one was parked exactly...

Ah! There it is behind the KJ (referring to my question above)...

I don't know, guys...I hate to say it, but to me it looks like a fellow (more like former) KJ owner is a suspect. The gas cans explode, totaling the car behind the KJ and the Explorer...the gas flows down to the Caravan to the next car... and so on.

What do you all think?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
WTF! Metal Gas cans. They must have been like flamethrowers.

Maybe pressure built up causing the gas cans to spin around everywhere shooting flames?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Look like "safety" cans, if so they have or should have had flame arrestors in the neck. That would let the fumes burn off, but not explode (which explains why they are intact). That would mean that no pooling or flowing of fuel occured.

I bet it was a group arson. Did you guys here that story (CNN I think) that when the economy goes south and gas prices go north, suv fires/arsons increase.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
I bet it was a group arson. Did you guys here that story (CNN I think) that when the economy goes south and gas prices go north, suv fires/arsons increase.

At first glance, I thought arson, too, but I cannot imagine a group of people would decide to start a fire in a parking lot of a secured military installation in broad daylight. I'm assuming this happened in daylight because of all the military installations I've been to, the parking lots are nearly empty after work hours (night).

dnm45227

Reaction score
Ya, you're most likely right. What would be the point in arson? Gas prices what they are, it would have cost them more in gas (looks like 10 gallons worth) than what the insurance pay off's would be.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knows.. All we can say is lock up the person who left those cans. If this is near a military base, the cans could be for an army job or something else, you don't see those cans everyday.What (else) can you be carrying to forget about these two cans?

I am sorry about the small picture, it was the smallest I can find with a good view of a wreck in response to
he got a buddy to cut and weld about a 18" section of railroad rail
. Which I thought was very strange! :-k

2003KJ

Reaction score
Thats if the gas cans were full....doesn't take much to get a little fireworks show goin with cans like that out in the sun.

That Camry looked salvagable minus the little bit of front end work that needed to be done.

Man that fire musta gottan really freekin hot if it went as far as to do some damage to the other Exploder too.

What a shame...RIP KJ :-({|=

I'm also surprised the gas tanks on the KJ and the mommy van didn't explode themselves.

alljeep

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Thats if the gas cans were full....doesn't take much to get a little fireworks show goin with cans like that out in the sun.

That Camry looked salvagable minus the little bit of front end work that needed to be done.

Man that fire musta gottan really freekin hot if it went as far as to do some damage to the other Exploder too.

What a shame...RIP KJ :-({|=

I'm also surprised the gas tanks on the KJ and the mommy van didn't explode themselves.

They didn't explode, maybe, but look closer at the first set of pictures of the back of the KJ. The gas tank is gone since it's only HDPE. It melted and dumped it's fuel. Only thing left are a couple of straps that hold the HDPE tank up.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alljeep said:
The gas tank is gone since it's only HDPE. It melted and dumped it's fuel. Only thing left are a couple of straps that hold the HDPE tank up.
And a nice divet in the asphalt from the fire.

hyedipin said:
I am sorry about the small picture, it was the smallest I can find with a good view of a wreck in response to
he got a buddy to cut and weld about a 18" section of railroad rail
. Which I thought was very strange! :-k
Actually, I thought it was strange as well but later figured it would be an easy way to add extra weight to the rear end - that 18" section probably weighed 100 lbs. And I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he got it at a scrap yard.

MarineKJ

Reaction score
That happened in the back parking lot of the Army hospital at Ft leonard Wood, MO. I used to drop my wife off right there everyday. I've even parked right there. The parking lot is on a downward slant so thats why the fire went down that way. It had to start behind the KJ. Its the only way that the Focus directly behind the KJ could have received that kind of damage. I don't think it's arson because for what ever reason that parking lot is covered with security cameras. Not only on the hospital but also on poles and high tech movable and zoomable cameras not fixed. Plus, the hospital is right in the center of the base with busy roads on all four sides. Someone would be dumb to key or steal a vehicle from there much less put one on fire. It also happened during the day, like someone else said, because after 5:00pm that parking lot is empty or at least used to be. Hope this helps ya'll figure it out.