Same rims, same size, new tires... Don't fit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJKID

Reaction score
So I have wide rims on my jeep, and I needed new tires. I got some General Grabber AT2s, (I highly recommend these, I had them on my truck, and 60,000 miles later still were still inspectable, and great off road, figures will be the same story for my Jeep) I just bought it, and it had pretty well bald Cooper (somethings don't remember) They were more of a street/all season. Needless to say, I got the tires on the rims, and everything put them on and now they rub. They rub about 1/8th of an inch. I don't want to lift it, but I want to make sure they don't rub without cutting. Is there a good leveling kit option or something? I am not that good with suspensions. Its the beefyer treads that are making it rub. And also, cheaper the better, but it has to work... be reliable ect.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without more info, one thought would be some top plate shims if it's not rubbing too badly on the front...could try some of the 3/8" shims...there's a template here to cut your own, or Boiler sells some pre-cut and ready to install.

KJKID

Reaction score
I believe the rim size is 16 x 9 I don't know the rim, its just a black steel rim, like in the picture, I bought them already on, they don't have any brand markings. Orginaly I think it was a 16 x 7 stock. Tire size is 265/70r16

KJKID

Reaction score
Also, I don't know the history of the Jeep, it might already have a small lift into it, I don't know it was bought at auction.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Max tire size for an un lifted KJ is 245-70-16 on a 16X7 inch wide wheel.
265-70-16 is a 30.9 inch tall tire. Which is too tall for starters and 16X9
is too wide as well for a stock height KJ.
An 8 inch wide wheel is about the maximum size... For a lifted Liberty.
That's why it rubs!
Only way to rectify the rubbing is going to be ditching
the wheels and tires and going back to a stock sized wheel
and tire combo (215-75-16, 225-70-16, 235-70-16) or the slightly
larger 245-70-16.
"cheaper the better" does not apply in your situation!
I would go back to where you bought the wheel/tire set and see if they
can help you out if possible!
Unless it was a private sale...

Buyer beware unfortunately!

Last edited:

KJKID

Reaction score
The rims I have on it now, came with the Jeep. The tires that were on it before, didn't rub (were close but didn't). I bought the same size tires as what were on it... I don't get it. lol

KJKID

Reaction score
So what do I do to make them fit. Is there like a 1 inch lift kit? Or something.. Without spending like $800

KJKID

Reaction score
I have 1,500 I can put in it. I wanted to get a nice bumper, exhaust and the rest for the tire rub issue.
I can just focus on a lift, so what is it I need to do, to make it not rub. Period.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is possibly you're easiest/cheapest bet at a solution
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43643

No guarantees, but it may work.

Where are the tires rubbing? Flares? Pinch welds? A little more info on position/place of rubbing will help. Also, could you get some detailed pics of the rims? Maybe someone knows what they are and then we can get the size and backspacing specs.

Lots of knowledgable member on this forum, maybe we can figure something out, and learn something in the process.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I have 1,500 I can put in it. I wanted to get a nice bumper, exhaust and the rest for the tire rub issue.
I can just focus on a lift, so what is it I need to do, to make it not rub. Period.

Spend $800.00 on a full Old Man Emu (OME) coil spring lift.
(4 springs and 4 new shocks) Then add the clevis lift and you
might get away with reducing the amount of rubbing you get.

But now here is another problem.

With that tall of a tire, you loose allot of engine power. And it is very noticable
with the 3.7 liter V6!
You will really feel it with the four ******, even though it already has 4:10
gear ratio!

If I were you, I would take the $1500.00 you have and use it towards a trade in for a V6 model KJ.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Liberty?

KJKID

Reaction score
I paid $5,500. I can just downsize tires. I really like how the Jeep is a Jeep, a SUV, and still gets mid 20s for MPGs. So I don't want the V6... Whats a good downsize that won't rub?

KJKID

Reaction score
Sorry jo6pak I didn't see your reply.

How do I upload a larger picture? My default is a lot larger and you can clearly make it out.
I found one online that looks exactly like it, but its a rock crawling rim, I don't see why that would be on it..? I'll upload that picture. Its in the shop at the moment for the driveshaft, I'll have it back friday.

Its rubbing when you turn the wheel all the way on the inside of the fender.

KJKID

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

The hubcap isn't the same, it doesn't say anything on it. Its just chrome/silver. And covers the bolts.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
You can heat up the inner plastic fender liner with a heat gun and then reshape it.
That will also get you some more clearance.
The for lamp doors are a common area as well as the pinch weld at the back of the tire.
Read up here on the forum. All the info you need is right there for the picking!
I'd suggest a 235-70-16 or a 245-75-16 inch tire. The latter one will fit but still might cause rubbing if you indeed have 9 inch wide wheels. You need to measure your wheels.
They may be 8 inches wide.

KJKID

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question. How do I measure them? Do I take the tire off and measure? Or can I just stick a ruler through one of the holes in the rim and just eye ball it? lol

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question. How do I measure them? Do I take the tire off and measure? Or can I just stick a ruler through one of the holes in the rim and just eye ball it? lol

The best way to measure the rim width is to take a straight edge and
place it within the wheel lip in both the the front and rear of the rim.
Hold it down with some tape and then get a ruler and measure the inside
edge of the straight edges.
That is the most accurate way to get a measurement with a tire on.
Of course, you should first look over the outer and inner rim to see if
there is a numeric measurement stamped into the wheel itself.
Some wheel manufactures will use a stylized/funky looking "J" in front
of a wheel measurement (JFYI, Usually only for "Factory" fitted wheels.)
Again, search the interweb and you can also teach yourself how to measure
wheel offset/back spacing, PCD, or Pitch Circle Diameter {wheel bolt pattern
size}
More fun and educational if you figure it out for yourself Mr. Kid!

BTW, what is your first name and where the hell you from?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do I do to make them fit. Is there like a 1 inch lift kit? Or something.. Without spending like $800

bds makes a kit i just picked up and their kit is 473 but that would also be reusing the stock front shocks and cheap rear hydraulic shocks a good lift is about 800 for the liberty but that will get rid of your rubbing for the 473 plus s+h unless you live near a dealer and have it sent to them and pick it up