Rusted rocker recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbeatrez

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on the forum here! I got a 2002 Liberty Sport about a a year ago. I was looking for a rust free one, but a deal came up and it didn’t look too bad. I knew the rockers were slightly rusted, but I didn’t look close enough at the time of buying it to notice that the previous owners had just sprayed over them to cover up the fact that they were just about completely rotted out. The rust has become extremely noticeable and I need to do something about it. At this point it’s so rotted out that I could probably just puncture through it with a single finger. Anyways, I’m looking for some kind of alternative to real body work. It’d probably cost me what I paid for the car to replace them at a body shop. So instead, does anyone know if there are some kind of covers I could put over them? I’ve seen some online, but I believe most of them are just for welding on after cutting out old ones. I just want an easy fix like a plastic cover if that’s a thing. Or if there’s some crazy DIY options like some kind of self molding rubber or plastic, that would work just as well; It doesn’t have to be pretty, it’s just gotta be better than rust. For now, I think I’m just gonna carry on with tradition and paint over them, but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be extremely appreciated!

You must be registered for see images attach

mbeatrez

Reaction score
For Example there are products online like this:

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/prod...YQcTVQNgG6iXsilYmmNlFHSD_ZmCzSRwaAscPEALw_wcB

I believe this is a steel sheet that will fit over my current situation and wont require welding. Is that correct, and if so would ya'll recommend it? Or is there a better option?

Then they also have this one too, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the sense that these would need to be welded on after cutting out the original rusted panel. The cost isn’t too bad. Do you have a friend who does welding?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 05+ libertys had covers over them, might could use those. Gotta wonder if Jeep decided to cover up the rockers instead of figuring out why they rusted. Its not normal for rockers to rust out so quickly.

I would suggest thoroughly coating the inside of the rockers yearly with fluid film or wool wax to slow down the rust if you do just cover them up. Should also coat the inside of the doors.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy replacement rocker panels . I only needed the out side not inner. Cut. Spot weld. Fill. Sand. Spray a chip resistant coating like bedliner.
I’ve seen two types of panels. One that looks pretty simple and seems to be a “patch” style.
The other had the B pillar and C pillar parts attached.

If a body shop is doing the work show them both and let them decide

mbeatrez

Reaction score
Buy replacement rocker labels. I only needed the out side not inner. Cut. Spot weld. Fill. Sand. Spray a chip resistant coating like bedliner.
Are you able to point me in the direction where I could find these? And is this an easy process? I've never personally welded, but my dad's got one I could use.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you able to point me in the direction where I could find these? And is this an easy process? I've never personally welded, but my dad's got one I could use.
Mig would be easiest to learn, and a great project to get introduced. Unibody panels are so thin you are only welding small moments. Plus if rocker covers can fit, you don't have to worry about how it looks.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like it's more time consuming than anything, it was one of the starting tasks I did when working in collision repair.

I think it depends how much OP is comfortable with. I'm sure there's some yt vids showing some of the process to get an idea if it would be too much to tackle.

Ruby

Reaction score
Go to a scrap yard, at least in utah I find libertys there all the time. Bring the tools you need and take the parts you want. It's always dirt cheap as well. For example I got a full set of steel armor for Ruby (engine, transmission, transfer, and gas tank plates) for 100 bucks.
I can't imagine they'd charge much for rockers.

Algoma56

Reaction score
Our 06 Limited had plastic factory covers that would hide your rust, but that's all it would do for you. Still rusted. I saw the C2C ones after I repaired ours, they look like a good piece but do need welding. I found that removing the rear door gave me a ton of room to do the install of the rockers. Easy to do, scribed where the hinges line up, and unplugged the wiring.

hvacmrm

Reaction score
For Example there are products online like this:

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/prod...YQcTVQNgG6iXsilYmmNlFHSD_ZmCzSRwaAscPEALw_wcB

I believe this is a steel sheet that will fit over my current situation and wont require welding. Is that correct, and if so would ya'll recommend it? Or is there a better option?

Then they also have this one too, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two

I get all my panels from raybuck.. just had them delivered for 02 liberty. Took 10 days. They are, cut out old and weld in new.. that's the way to go,,, cut out all that rust and they are heavy duty not thin ****. Nothing for nothing but I did all my panels and rockers on 93 E150, 6 years ago,, still beautiful

OldJoe

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on the forum here! I got a 2002 Liberty Sport about a a year ago. I was looking for a rust free one, but a deal came up and it didn’t look too bad. I knew the rockers were slightly rusted, but I didn’t look close enough at the time of buying it to notice that the previous owners had just sprayed over them to cover up the fact that they were just about completely rotted out. The rust has become extremely noticeable and I need to do something about it. At this point it’s so rotted out that I could probably just puncture through it with a single finger. Anyways, I’m looking for some kind of alternative to real body work. It’d probably cost me what I paid for the car to replace them at a body shop. So instead, does anyone know if there are some kind of covers I could put over them? I’ve seen some online, but I believe most of them are just for welding on after cutting out old ones. I just want an easy fix like a plastic cover if that’s a thing. Or if there’s some crazy DIY options like some kind of self molding rubber or plastic, that would work just as well; It doesn’t have to be pretty, it’s just gotta be better than rust. For now, I think I’m just gonna carry on with tradition and paint over them, but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be extremely appreciated!

I started watching Fitzee's Fabrication on YouTube a couple of years ago. With MIG welder, Hobart 140, I welded a patch on the door, new bottoms on both front fenders, and I welded in new rockers on my '04 Lib. Check out his channel. Everything is done with basic tools. He's saved me much more than the cost of my welded.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started watching Fitzee's Fabrication on YouTube a couple of years ago. With MIG welder, Hobart 140, I welded a patch on the door, new bottoms on both front fenders, and I welded in new rockers on my '04 Lib. Check out his channel. Everything is done with basic tools. He's saved me much more than the cost of my welded.
Sounds like a great excuse to buy that MIG welder!

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on brands or models?

A shop I worked in had a millermatic 250, great machine as expected.
Over the years at home I've owned some 120v machines: lincoln 140, hobart 140, miller 140. All great machines all bought 2nd hand for a good price, sold one to buy the next one or make some $ after the projects were done.
Lincoln model sp-135 I believe has either more, or infinite ranges on the dials which is nice if you come across one of those, but not necessary at all.

A big thing I've seen some overlook is how the machines are setup. I feel many use flux core wire, but most machines I've seen need the polarity changed to run optimum as its set up for gas shielded wire out of the box. Very easy to do, it takes a min or two and the instructions will be under the lid, and I'm sure tons of youtube vids on it. Some have a different groove the wire will be driven with too, all shown in the diagrams.

If I couldn't find a nice condition used one, I'd go with what DadOSix is considering with the harbor freight (good ol hazard fraud!). They have come a ways with their welders, and the exchange in store is basically no questions asked in my area. I've been using one of their budget auto darkening helmets for over a decade now, and if you have to convince the spouse, say it doubles to watch solar eclipses (which does work and is awesome). ;)

Latest posts

Members online