Running hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alanpeel64

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty with the V6 motor. Just 2 wheel drive, automatic. It's been a good Jeep with few issues until about an hour ago. Noticed the AC was running a bit warmer than normal. Headed home and the temp gauge which usually runs a tad less than halfway was up at 3/4 of the gauge. Wife said she thought she heard a popping noise. I turned off the AC and cranked up the heat to try and dissipate some heat. Got home and shut it down, ate dinner then went back out. Coolant level is fine,, no leaks there, no drips, no smell. My first thought. Was the radiator fan, but it's working seemingly okay. Let it idle and it was where it typically runs a bit less than half the gauge. Noticed the AC was not cool, got out and checked. Clutch is pulling in and popping out over and over. Then I started smelling something electrically hot, burning smell. Checked the temp gauge and it was at 3/4 hot. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm sure I left something out, so please ask questions and bear with me. Thanks in advance.

Alanpeel64

Reaction score
Just an update. Drove it to the store a bit ago, about 2 miles back and forth with no AC running. Temp stayed at it's typical level, a bit less than halfway on the gauge.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen my Jeep at 3/4 to hot. Hopefully I never do either! Something's not right. When it hit 3/4 I would have popped the hood and observed the cooling fans right there.
How many miles are on your Jeep? How long with AC on were you driving for? Stuck in traffic or on freeway?
What was outside temperature?
Bottom Line have the AC high & low pressure readings observed, and see where they stand.
You could be low on refrigerant and service required...
I would want to pressure test the the rad to ensure no leaks & then drain rad a bit and also install a new dealer thermostat as well, it could also be struck in a partially closed position.
I assume you have Hoat & maintain and refresh the Hoat every 5 years? Water pump after that....just overall inspection time..!

Last edited:

Alanpeel64

Reaction score
Brand new water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, new HOAT last September. Has 122k miles. I'm doubtful AC is low on refrigerant. It was cooling fine on the way to pick up dinner. Got back in and noticed wife feeling AC vents. It seemed to not be as cold. She said she just noticed it. When I noticed the temp gauge, I was stuck in traffic but just a few blocks from home. I'm leaning towards the AC clutch bearing being bad and when it's trying to engage it's dragging the belt and that's the smell I'm smelling. I'm deaf, so I can't use the usual troubleshooting by sound.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a clutch fan on the front of your water pump? If you do not have one you should get one because having the clutch fan helps move A LOT More AIR than the electric cooling fan.

Alanpeel64

Reaction score
I'll check into that. I'm going to change the AC clutch out this week. Wish this could have waited a couple of weeks since our hot weather is just about done.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't I seen somewhere that you can't separate the clutch from the compressor?

jaywatch_3

Reaction score
Check the electric fan in front of your clutch fan. Mine went out a few months ago and had the same symptoms as yours. I ordered one online for about 130$ and its run great ever since!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Brand new water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, new HOAT last September. Has 122k miles. I'm doubtful AC is low on refrigerant. It was cooling fine on the way to pick up dinner. Got back in and noticed wife feeling AC vents. It seemed to not be as cold. She said she just noticed it. When I noticed the temp gauge, I was stuck in traffic but just a few blocks from home. I'm leaning towards the AC clutch bearing being bad and when it's trying to engage it's dragging the belt and that's the smell I'm smelling. I'm deaf, so I can't use the usual troubleshooting by sound.
You dude why did you not mention the work performed when you originally posted? This saves folks from trying to diagnose a cooling issue right from the beginning..just sayin...

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the electric fan in front of your clutch fan. Mine went out a few months ago and had the same symptoms as yours. I ordered one online for about 130$ and its run great ever since!

X2 ^^^A/C not being cool is probably result of overheating not vice versa. When the A/C is on the fan should be on and running. If not its either a bad fan or relay. When mine went bad it never got hot when driving normal speeds of 50 and above or when the A/C was on but would get warm in city traffic if I didnt turn A/C on. Luckily on mine the fan still worked with the A/C till I could replace it and I just left it switched on.

Alanpeel64

Reaction score
Only have the electric fan, no clutch fan. To the other poster, I apologize for not stating more details, but like several people I was a bit stressed when I posted my original question.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken, if you have the non-HD cooling system, the e-fan has 2 speeds?
The connector to the rad. fan should be 3 pins.
Maybe the rad. fan is going kaput and not fully operational.

Alanpeel64

Reaction score
Update, and happy ending. My original suspicion that the clutch bearing was dragging, evidently proved true. Monday evening I bought an 82 inch belt, rerouted it so it bypassed the AC. I drove it to work Tuesday, 95+ degrees out! even in rush hour traffic the temp remained normal as it ever was. I decided to just go all new with the AC instead of messing with renting a clutch puller and going that route. I'm in the hvac field, so I have a cpvacuum pump, gauges etc from my service days. Swapped the compressor, accumulator/drier and orifice tube. Everything is working fine. Today was a record high of. 101 for September 10 in DFW, temp was normal as ever, nice cold AC.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a clutch fan on the front of your water pump? If you do not have one you should get one because having the clutch fan helps move A LOT More AIR than the electric cooling fan.

This is incorrect.

The electric fan is the primary fan while the clutch/mechanical fan is the secondary or supplemental fan. While the mechanical fan does move a lot of air it is only fully engaged when the temp hits around 220 degrees F while the electric comes on at a much lower temp or when the AC is on. That's why the mechanical unit is the secondary fan.

Bob