Roof Rack Crossbars - No Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the last week, I have actually bought 2 Jeep KJ's - a 2002 and a 2003. The 03 has a roof rack with crossbars and I noticed (after we got home) that the rack has a lock on each end of the crossbars.

Well, unfortunately - we got no key to go along with that. Aside from calling a locksmith - thoughts on getting them off?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill out the lock and tumbler or if there's a number on the lock cylinder contact the manufacture.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not contact the previous owner before you go drilling out the cylinder? A roof rack key is pretty easy to forget about, and if they dont have it call the manufacturer and a lock smith before you drill anything out

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not contact the previous owner before you go drilling out the cylinder? A roof rack key is pretty easy to forget about, and if they dont have it call the manufacturer and a lock smith before you drill anything out

Bought from a dealer - so not sure how to go about doing that. I'll give the sales person a call and see but am guessing drilling it out or seeing if there is a number on the lock will be the route I have to go.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought from a dealer - so not sure how to go about doing that. I'll give the sales person a call and see but am guessing drilling it out or seeing if there is a number on the lock will be the route I have to go.

Yea i assumed it was a private party sale. Before you drill it out you might want to see if it has a replaceable cylinder if you want to continue using the cross bars

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont over dill it you usually can put a lock and tumbler back in it with a controller key all depends on the quality of the lock and if the lock has a number stamped on it where the key goes a lock Smith will have it. Might want to call different locksmiths and get a price to key it, you might find its cheaper then you think. If you find the right locksmith.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont over dill it you usually can put a lock and tumbler back in it with a controller key all depends on the quality of the lock and if the lock has a number stamped on it where the key goes a lock Smith will have it. Might want to call different locksmiths and get a price to key it, you might find its cheaper then you think. If you find the right locksmith.

Looks like I'll have to call and ask a lockmith. There isn't anumber on the lock. Plus the bars aren't in great shape. Just want to get them off...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to call and ask a lockmith. There isn't anumber on the lock. Plus the bars aren't in great shape. Just want to get them off...

Just drill them off then?

Dave