Rock Krawler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surfing the net on ebay for lift kits and I discovered this brand called Rock Krawler. It comes in either 3.0" or 3.5" and uses
(2) laser cut and precision welded new bottom strut forks out of 3/16 thick steel, (2) new front adjustable sway bar end links, (2) rear polyurathane spring spacers, (2) long travel rear shocks, hardware and detailed instructions. For about $599.00 for the 3.0" and $899.00 for the 3.5" which includes rear control arms and coil springs. Has any heard about this lift kit or actually used it?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to www.jeepinbyal.com, he has used the kit to get him past some design problems in his 5+ inch lift he is developing. He likes them/wheeled them alot and sells them for cheaper than I've seen at other places.

GilaMonster

Reaction score
Don't Buy It!!!

I'm currently going through hell with the 3.5 x factor kit. I'm going to generate a full post with pictures soon, but I want to give rock krawler the opportunity to respond regarding the failings of this kit.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Don't Buy It!!!

GilaMonster said:
I'm currently going through hell with the 3.5 x factor kit. I'm going to generate a full post with pictures soon, but I want to give rock krawler the opportunity to respond regarding the failings of this kit.

Yeah right, and good luck!.... Just like they responded on their 7" Liberty lift kit. The poor people that bought that kit went through hell trying to get RK to acknowledge anything was wrong with the kit. Their responce was, "you installed it wrong".

Please follow up here, and at L.O.S.T. with the post and pics to warn others of your findings.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said Al has wheeled to part hard with no problems, if you give him a call you may get some inside scoop. Can't remember which year you have, but Al told me they work better on mid '03 and newer rigs because of a change Jeep did. I have the CRD and my front end is dropped lower than the gassers so maybe that also helps. Everything else I've bought fron Al has been first rate.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a good kit then I'd probably buy it. Mine is 2wd and I hardly take it offroading. I want to get the biggest tire i can on there, mine's an 06. I want to either get 265/75/16 or 275/70/16.

GilaMonster

Reaction score
Re: Don't Buy It!!!

KJ04 said:
GilaMonster said:

Yeah right, and good luck!.... Just like they responded on their 7" Liberty lift kit. The poor people that bought that kit went through hell trying to get RK to acknowledge anything was wrong with the kit. Their responce was, "you installed it wrong".

Please follow up here, and at L.O.S.T. with the post and pics to warn others of your findings.

I purchased the Rock Krawler Liberty 3.5” X-Factor System for my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD from Discount Jeep Parts (also known as Off Road Motorsports). Please note that both Rock Krawler and Discount Jeep Parts web catalog of this item do not exclude the Jeep Liberty CRD.

Before Upon installation, I called Rock Krawler and talked to a talk to a technician regarding fitment of the kit and with general installation questions for a Jeep Liberty CRD. I was assured that the kit would fit just fine, and that no modifications were necessary. They had installe them on CRD model before, and the kit fits just fine.
I subsequently began the installation, and discovered that this kit did not fit properly on the front driver side suspension strut. The Rock Krawler clevis provided in the kit pinched the inner CV boot. I called that same day, during my installation, and talk to a technician at Rock Krawler who assured me that when the suspension is bearing the vehicle weight, with the wheels on the ground, the system will lower down enough that the boot will not be contactingin the Rock Krawler clevis brackets. Upon completion of the front and rear suspension kit, I lowered the vehicle and could see that the inner CV boot on the driver side of the vehicle was still pinched and bound up in the Rock Krawler clevis clamp.
I called Rock Krawler again, they explained that vehicle needed to be driven to load the suspension and then the boot would not be bound up in the Rock Krawler clevis joint. After a test drive, the boot was still bound in the Rock Krawler clevis joint.
Further, the CV boot was showing wear marks signs that this rubbing will contribute to premature failure due to the boot bound in the Rock Krawler clevis bracket.

Subsequent phone call with a different technician at Rock Krawler, and they explain that the Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor kit is not meant for installation on a CRD. The technician even went as far as to explain that one has never been installed at their shop, and that since the vehicle model was discontinued, they never intended to make a kit for that model. Upon asking what exactly was occurring, he wanted to know if the boot was just rubbing at full suspension droop (unloaded) because it was normal for the boot to rub their clevis at full droop. THAT IN ITSELF IS THEM ADMITTING THERE IS A DESIGN FLAW.

Rock Krawler and Discount Jeep Parts position on the matter is that since I installed the kit, none of them are responsible for it not fitting. They claim that their web pages do not SPECIFY a CRD fitment. I responded that their web information says it fits Jeep LIberty KJ models, and that they don't specify by engine. Anyway, this will not come as a shock to anyone I suppose, but they will not stand by their product.

So, it appears I'm out my money from the kit. I have modified the clevis bracket by cutting off the inner bent flanges that bind up the boot, and them box welding the outside of the driver side clevis brackets.

Additional problems with there lift kit include:
• Larger bump stops are required to keep the actual front struts from bottoming out at full compression. I spoke with the Rock Krawler technician and was assured that larger bump stops were not necessary, but they are incorrect. At full compression, there is no contact with the stock bump stop and the strut is taking all the force.
• The front suspension with the Rock Krawler kit design, like others, allows the upper ball joints to come in contact with the front strut springs, which has ruptured the upper ball joint boot, which will lead to premature failure of the upper ball joint.
• The rear shocks included with the Rock Krawler kit do not have the correct bushing sleeves for correct fitment to the upper shock mounts on the vehicle. These incorrect bushing sleeves lead to the rear shocks fitting too loose on the mounts and thumping very loud. The failure to include the correct bushing sleeves has lead to one failing by breaking apart. And they didn't even include the dust boots, a five dollar addition. (The remedy I have taken was to order and install Ranch RSX17004 shocks, since the have the correct bushings to mount to the vehicle rear shock mounts.)
• They did not include rear bump stops to keep the rear shocks from bottoming out during hard compression. This could lead to premature failure of a shock valve.

Here are pictures of the cv boot binding in their clevis bracket.
First one is from the rear of the driver side wheel with the suspension at full droop
You must be registered for see images

Second one is from the front of the drivers side wheel with the suspension loaded (on the ground with vehicle weight)
You must be registered for see images

I'm just letting you know my experiance with Rock Krawler. If anything, their business practices and customer service are lousy at best, and more on the lines of fraudulent. BUYER BEWARE.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that *****. Cause it looks like its a pretty well designed kit. What apealled to me was the fact it was a 3 inch kit. Especially since I want to put 265/75 or 275/70/16's on my KJ.