Road trippin in the CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I left Phoenix bound for Seattle via the Grand Canyon, Bryce canyon and Zion. So far Im in Page AZ. The trip meter is reading 445 miles and Im still above half a tank!

Gotta love them CRD's.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to stop at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? I love northern AZ and southern UT, wish I could live up there.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the south rim and tomorrow Im doing antelope canyons. Then its Bryce Canyon and on home. I think Ill get 600+ MPG which should work out to around 34 mpg.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First fuel up was a trip from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon to Page then on to Bryce Canyon.

Stats: 625 miles 19.1 gallons 32 MPG

Second fuel up was from Bryce canyon to Boise.

Stats: 648 miles on 19 gallons even 34 MPG

Third day Boise to Seattle 475 miles just past half left.

Not as good as the mileage I got driving from Tennesse home but then that was on BALD goodyears and not Firestone Destination LE truck tires.

Im happy.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First fuel up was a trip from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon to Page then on to Bryce Canyon.

Stats: 625 miles 19.1 gallons 32 MPG

Second fuel up was from Bryce canyon to Boise.

Stats: 648 miles on 19 gallons even 34 MPG

Third day Boise to Seattle 475 miles just past half left.

Not as good as the mileage I got driving from Tennesse home but then that was on BALD goodyears and not Firestone Destination LE truck tires.

Im happy.

I really want a CRD!

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive gotten as much as 745 miles on a tank. Crossing Kansas at 60 MPH on bald tires. 37+ MPG. I didnt expect that on new light truck tires, but Im happy with nearly 35 MPG.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
21 mpg is better than 32 mpg if that 32 mpg comes with required modifications to the stock drivetrain to make the vehicle reliable :)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's '79 Suzuki GS550E cost $900 and gets 55 mpg and runs high 13s in the quarter mile, and can cross the creek up at Dad's house, and parts are cheap.

Best of all worlds, good sirs :)

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I read that correctly, you said Suzuki? No thanks.

Plus I don't know what a GS550E is. I assume it is some sort of motorbike? Two wheel death machines if you ask me.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... two wheel death machine, gotcha ;)

I prefer 4 wheels and 12ft of lift with my monster SMART Car.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 mpg is better than 32 mpg if that 32 mpg comes with required modifications to the stock drivetrain to make the vehicle reliable :)

Thou dost have a point. When a diesel newbie asks me about buying a CRD, I give him the following advice - if it's going to be just a weekend vehicle, such that it won't be a major inconvenience if it's down with this or that problem if you leave it bone stock, then whatever floats your boat. But if it's going to be a primary vehicle and will affect your job and livelihood if it's down for any reason, then you best be ready to put around 3 grand into it AFTER the purchase price to make it reliable, if the PO left it bone stock.

Disclaimer - I'm talking only about the 05 and 06 U.S. versions.

OTOH, my old 87 MB 300D turbo cost me 6 grand used, didn't require any mods - just replacement of original worn out parts, and on the one round trip to Texas before it was t-boned easily hit in the 30 to 35 mpg range - with an old style four speed slushbox.