Vibration in CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gypsygirl

Reaction score
I posted this over on LOST so sorry if you've already read/ignored/responded to this, but I'm getting a little worried...

1.) I bought my 2006 CRD Liberty Sport on Sept 2 with 20 miles on the clock up in NJ. Drove her back down to my house in VA after putting a couple hundred miles on her in PA. I didn't notice any problems.

2.) On my next trip to PA the vibrations started. Happened 3 or so times over the course of 150-200 miles. They'd start somewhere above 50-55 mph and wouldn't stop until they were ready -- I think it was 10 or so miles and then they would stop out of no where. I took it up to 80 (didn't want to take the engine up too high since it was still so new) to try to find a speed where it would smooth out and I never found one. I didn't slow below 50 because I was on I-95. The vibrations would vary from a slight steering wheel shimmy (0.5 inch?) to the steel wheel shimmying ~1.5 inches and the entire truck shaking violently. This was when I was at 50 mph debating just pulling over and calling a tow truck. Then it just stopped out of no where.

I took the Jeep right to the local dealership where I was headed. They did a TSB (the ****** computer reprogram I think?) and the LBJ recall. Said the tires were balanced fine (that's what I thought it was) and said they didn't experience it vibrating.

Drove it back to VA with only slight vibrating. I thought it was just me being not used to All Terrain tires so I ignored it (my last car was a Jetta and that thing drove smooth as silk).

3.) I ended up taking it into the shop (one in VA, near my house) about 2 weeks later when I had the time to get a ride again. I told them I spoke to someone who experienced the same thing and it was warped front rotors. They ended up determining the front tires were unbalanced. Odd, because 2 weeks ago they were fine, but whatever. They said it was driving smooth. I picked it up and it seemed fine.

4.) Couple days later, it was definitely still not fine. It didn't vibrate as badly as that first time (where the whole truck shook, violently), but it would get so bad where it's uncomfortable for me to even hold the steering wheel. I dropped it off on the 15th (of this month, Oct). I finally got it back the night of the 19th.

Short story is -- they ended up putting 100 miles on the truck and replaced the brake calipers, rotors, and, from the smell, apparently the pads as well. They said it was all fixed.

Longer story -- They said the calipers "weren't releasing completely" and heated the rotors to the point where they warped.

I picked it up Thursday night. Drove it a bit this past Saturday and it's definitely still not fixed... at all. Yesterday it shook so bad it was uncomfortable for my foot to rest on the gas pedal while driving.

5.) ?? I'm taking it back down Friday morning to do a test ride with the service manager. He seems to think it's just me not knowing what a Liberty should ride like... but it's 100x worse than my friend's old Wrangler with off road tires.

Any tips?? I really don't want to go the lemon route, but it only has 1600 miles on it and I'm not sure they're ever going to fix it... sad2.gif

Thanks so much for reading all of this...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, does it do it when you brake? Is it any worse when you brake? If it doesnt do it any worse when you brake then the rotors have nothing to do with it. Usually with a warped rotor, it will only shake when you hit the brakes.

Could be a bent rim, a knot on a tire although this usually makes some noise, or they suck at balancing tires.

You could try taking it to a good tire shop and see if they can balance the tires.

You didnt say what kind of tires it has either... O:)

gypsygirl

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Hmm, does it do it when you brake? Is it any worse when you brake? If it doesnt do it any worse when you brake then the rotors have nothing to do with it. Usually with a warped rotor, it will only shake when you hit the brakes.

Could be a bent rim, a knot on a tire although this usually makes some noise, or they suck at balancing tires.

You could try taking it to a good tire shop and see if they can balance the tires.

You didnt say what kind of tires it has either... O:)

Doesn't necessarily do it when I brake. Usually I'll be driving on the highway with cruise control on and it'll just start up out of nowhere. Did it today again, so it's definitely not fixed.

I didn't answer sooner cause I had to check the tire size/kind... 225/75 16" All Season tires.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats crazy. Ive heard of shaking coming and going with different speeds, but since you have cruise set I have no idea. Maybe even though cruise is set, you are slowing down just enough to bring the vibration back? 8-[

gypsygirl

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard of the shaking at certain speeds too, that's why the first time it happened I tried to find a speed where it stopped... with no luck.

A couple people have suggested the drive shaft... most others seem to think the tires. Either way, I just hope they can fix it. I didn't really have a "second choice" vehicle when I bought it.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does the same exact thing at 50-55MPH. I just have gotten used to it or i just mash the go pedal and the shaking seems to disapear. I think its the ****** trying to lock the torque converter but no way of telling for sure.

Latest posts

Members online