Odd crack in the windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got up before the sun rose yesterday to head out looking to make a sunrise photo. There was a little frost on the windshield, so I turned the defroster on for the first time this season. Me and another photographer drove the 16 miles to Silver Lake, found some amazing picture possibilities and didn't stop pressing the shutter buttons for about 45 minutes. I walked back to the rear of my Jeep to change my oxygen tank (they only last 40 minutes, so I was gasping a bit) and looked through the KJ and through the windshield to see what looked like a gentle wavy line glistening in the early morning sunlight.

My hope was that it was either a reflection or maybe a spider web. When I went around to the front of the Jeep, I could see it was a crack. It ran almost all the way across my windshield in a wavy pattern about 3 or 4 inches above the bottom of the window. It wasn't continuous though. There was a few inches separating the crack right in the middle and it didn't reach the sides of the windshield - about 5 or 6 inches shy on each side.

After driving off and on all day, the middle of the crack seems to have joined. It's kinda odd that it appears to join, then a few minutes later it's an inch or so from joining, then it's joined again. The ends seem to be closer to the far sides of the glass too.

Could the defroster have caused that? The crack(s) seem to be waving in a peak right about center of each defroster vent.

So, I called a couple glass shops. Fast Glass wants $180.00. The other shop said I had 2 choices; a generic brand for 150.00 and the MOPAR branded glass for 230.00. When I asked the difference, the guy said a MOPAR sticker. Not the kind of answer I wanted from a "glass professional."

My insurance will cover glass, but my 500.00 deductible applies. If any of you have any experience or good advice, I'd appreciate it. This will cut into my lift budget and plans, but I still want to make the right choice. I was thinking to wait until Spring so as to miss the rock throwing season Winter seems to be with all the sand (and small rocks) being thrown on the icy and snowy roads. The crack is prob'ly within the legal zone - it's pretty low and doesn't obstruct my vision. I'll ask a CHP friend tomorrow, to be sure.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have way too much experience with broken windshields. Seems like I or my family members attract them. Currently a chestnut "pod" from a very tall tree on my daughter's outback. We just went with Safelite since she's away at school. Jeep has a softball ding under the pside wiper and the wife's Sienna has about 5 checks in it. Other daughter is driving my Avenger and that got cracked by a stone from a landscape truck about 6 months after we got it. Hit right near the pillar and didn't think anything of the strike until the next day when it went all the way across the center.

What you have described is a really weird one though. I've always had some sort of impact from an object that caused mine. I'd doubt the defroster would do that and most likely there was a hit somewhere. The two location thing is the really weird part. Might have been continuous from the start and the moisture is causing a bit of an optical illusion. I'd say check with the CHP friend and see what they say. If it is okay to go I'd definitely wait until after the rock throwing season.

Prices sound okay to me. The Mopar sticker thing is a bit scary with that outfit. Most I've had replaced are in that ballpark although the Outback has a winter package (started it's life in Owego NY) so it has the wiper heat pads in it driving the cost up to almost 300.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mopar doesn't manufacture glass. Like the other auto makers, they assemble vehicles with parts made by others, so there may be some validity to the glass guys statement. Could be you had a small ding/chip you didn't notice, and it finally spread.
$500 deductible, wow, is that a "special" California rate? lol. Are you looking at the comprehensive deductible and not collision?. My comp is $100, collision is $250.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Windshield%20OEM%20Markings.jpg
    Windshield%20OEM%20Markings.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Windshield%20clip2.jpg
    Windshield%20clip2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used a couple of the " cheap china brand" windshields before on ones I was flipping, wouldn't on my own. More money but would go Mopar.
Like has been mentioned, bet there was small rock chip and the defrosters hit it just right. Have seen it happen before .
On my 04 got it replaced several years back, 2 days after replacement rock hit the very middle right at the bottom. Could barley see it, but 3 months later first time I used the Defrosters, I saw it spreading out. It stopped about a foot out one way, 2 foot on the drivers side, never went farther, was only 3 inches up so just left it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 04 got it replaced several years back, 2 days after replacement rock hit the very middle right at the bottom.

Murphy's law hard at work, might as well put a "hit me I'm new" sign on it. :happy175:
Back when I had a Wrangler, I replaced my windshield. Less than a month later, I get a friggin stone thrown at me, made a nice nickel sized chip right in the line of sight. It was worse than the one I replaced.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what happens. A small chip that you didn't notice at first but the defroster expands the glass and bam its a crack. if there are existing cracks defrosters will expand them..

And i have the same luck with windshields. If i replace it i will catch a rock the next week. So now if its not in my line of sight i just leave it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd go with any name brand one, like Pilkington or Saint-Gobain, likely they made the mopar one.

Had a safelite brand one once on the Durango and it seemed blurry.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I didn't ask about brands when I called. I should have. And I don't know who makes the MOPAR branded one either. I'll let you know what Sarah says (she's the local CHP commander). If I have to replace it, I'll do more thorough research.

Jim

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The three major OEM/Dealer replacement windshield manufacturers are PPG, Pikington and AP Tech. Any one of them could have made the original glass, and any different one could now be making the Dealer replacement glass. Companies like Safelight are aftermarket, but aftermarket ones don't necessarily follow OEM specs. Given the not so huge cost difference, I'd likely go with the "Mopar" glass, unless you can get one of the three above mentioned OEM manufacturer ones for less. Then, the only difference would be the name on it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check the windshields next time I see the daughter' vehicles. See if I can find a manufacturer label. Both are out of town at school but both were replaced by Safelite. I remember the Avenger was a definite improvement over the previous one but that might not have been factory when we purchased it used. Had the full glass coverage with no deductible on that one when it was replaced. We did have a heck of a hailstorm after the swap without incident.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You've got an "Alaskan windshield"! They cost more if you fix them.

Mine has the same defrost-crack. Any rock ding will do it.

I just ignore any cracks down low and buy cheap windshields when I get golf-ball sized rock dents. They all crack.

Many years ago in MD I was driving my Opel GT with a new windshield out in the country without anyone in sight and the windshield got a bulls-eye ding. Still don't understand how.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought it was just the glass. Do they replace the frame too?

No. I think he means the framework of the glass. Correct me if I'm wrong lol

Mine has a Pilkington in it now. Has since I got it when it was 2 years old.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes framework of glass.
What you see in post #4 (picture 2) is the nice OEM windshield about to be re-installed due to a potential leak.
Heavy rains last few days on & off and no leaks so far now.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Many years ago in MD I was driving my Opel GT with a new windshield out in the country without anyone in sight and the windshield got a bulls-eye ding. Still don't understand how.
The one I got last spring was similar. No idea where it came from.

...$500 deductible, wow, is that a "special" California rate? lol. Are you looking at the comprehensive deductible and not collision?. My comp is $100, collision is $250.
Jim, you might re-check your policy provisions for glass. I also have a $500 deductible but my company patched mine (I know a patch is not going to work in your case) at no charge. Your company may have different deductible requirements just for glass. (I'm with the lizard people.)

And my old Tracker had something similar. Came out one fine cold morning and saw a hairline crack about two inches long. A day or two later it had grown to about 4-5". A week after that it went nearly all the way across. I had it replaced, then it started leaking in one corner about a years or two later. I'd say where you get it done might be more important than what brand part you use.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Safelite the Co. that comes out to your place and replaces the windshield in your driveway uses a "FY symbol with a diamond around it" branded windshield that is cheaply made.

As others have indicated, check around as to the quality of the glass with the "Mopar" one being the best. You are on the right track.

The last time I had a broken windshield a rock hid dead center of where I look out the windshield....my luck....lol

Dave

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, you might re-check your policy provisions for glass.
Thanks for the tip. I found I had only a $100.00 deductible for glass, so a nearly 300.00 job only cost me a yard. It rained hard the 80 miles to Safelite in Reno and then it quit just as I was handing my keys over. So, I pulled my Segway out of the back of the KJ and glided a few blocks to a great little place to have breakfast. I had a leisurely meal, read the local paper and answered the same tired old questions about my Segway that I have been fielding for the last 10 years. Why do complete strangers think it's okay to ask me how much I paid for my Seg... I mean for their very first question? I don't know why I get so disturbed about that. I don't mind the question at all if it is asked after several minutes of conversation.

Anyway, I get back to my Jeep and enjoy a mostly rainy drive home. It was dry while I was gliding on my Segway and then it got wet again - and it's still raining as I type this. I'm happy I posted about this here because you guys helped me get better quality glass and saved me a lot of money.

Thanks.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the windshield on my kj replaced a couple months ago by SafeLite.. was happy with the speed(they did it on my 20 minute lunch break).. but the windshield cracked from a rock on a tar&chip road 4 days after their warranty expired on the glass..
You get what you pay for right? :buttkick:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Safelite the Co. that comes out to your place and replaces the windshield in your driveway uses a "FY symbol with a diamond around it" branded windshield that is cheaply made.

As others have indicated, check around as to the quality of the glass with the "Mopar" one being the best. You are on the right track.

The last time I had a broken windshield a rock hid dead center of where I look out the windshield....my luck....lol

Dave

This windshield ^^ is exactly the one I just described.. and hopefully you weren't so blessed as to receive the same glass.. if so, hopefully yours holds up better to the test of time than mine did!