Ripped CV boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did an oil change and realized the driver's CV axle boot nearest the diff is torn. Can I get a new boot? It's a Napa reman.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can, I might be wrong though. Just getting into liberty's. I've replaced them on other vehicles thoug. The kits usually aren't that much neither is whole cv axle! Lol. Way quicker swapping those out than breaking the cv axle down to replace boot. New cv is kinda 2 birds with one stone. Guess it depends how you look at it. As I reread this I realize it's probably no help to you. Lol.

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the boot with grease and ring for around 20 bucks from a quick search. That was at parts geek. New axle 35-100 or so. Same site. Do you have any type of warranty from Napa? To me it would just depend how many miles were on the cv axle. Time wise axle swap will be quicker plus you get a new part!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can get another one from Napa under warranty...to replace the boot you'd still have to pull the axle right? If I'm going to go through that hassle I'll just replace the whole thing. I was hoping someone made a 2 piece boot I could slap on without taking it apart.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the price of a NAPA remanned I always just replace the whole thing. Have to R&R anyways so my time is worth more than that

I put a stick through one with less than 500 miles on it, just swapped it out with new one

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can get the boot with grease and ring for around 20 bucks from a quick search. That was at parts geek. New axle 35-100 or so. Same site. Do you have any type of warranty from Napa? To me it would just depend how many miles were on the cv axle. Time wise axle swap will be quicker plus you get a new part!

ONLY use NAPA remanned CVs by the way
A "LOT " of the other aftermarket ones are too short causing issues down the line.
Just a FYI for ya!! :gr_grin:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tom. Just get a whole new NAPA remaned one.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just ordered one...now if my Napa actually gets it remains to be seen. LOL

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ONLY use NAPA remanned CVs by the way
A "LOT " of the other aftermarket ones are too short causing issues down the line.
Just a FYI for ya!! :gr_grin:

Thanks MUD! Good info to know. And yes I think you made the right call on just replacing. Especially since your out no money!!! Lol. Mine have never been changed before so I might as well get some for next time I have it apart changing all the surf out I just put in. Lol. The upgrades come so quick! Plus it's my sons just mention safety and the wife is all about buying it. Got some nice JBA stuff so far. Now to get to feeling better so we can change the stuff out! Stupid strep throat.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive torn up a couple boots here and there, aside from the time and effort it takes to remove the cv its a quick fix to put on new boots , if the boots are still good on cvs whenever you put on new ones, salvage the boots off of them before you deliver them as cores and youll always have replacement boots available, only issue ive ran into with replacement boots is some of the repalcements have a different number of ribs and the passenger inner boot if you put on a 5 rib vs a 4 rib or maybe its 6 rib vs a 5 rib may want to pucker at it's normal straight on ride level which may shorten its lifespan

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Napa doesn't even list the inner boots but good idea, I'll pull the good outer one off.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Napa doesn't even list the inner boots but good idea, I'll pull the good outer one off.

If you're like me I have 7 right side ones and 5 left side ones laying around so always have spare CVs, and thats just here, more down home ! :emotions34::happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can't remember from the last time I did this but does enough diff fluid come out to warrant a top off? And how hard is the seal hard to damage?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't remember from the last time I did this but does enough diff fluid come out to warrant a top off? And how hard is the seal hard to damage?

No, you won't lose any fluid from the diff. The correct fluid level is just below the opening for the axle so you should be able to just pop out the old axle and tap in the new one.

Bob