Rim question for an 07 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FATKAT750

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just bought an 07 liberty that has the basic rims on it. Would like to upgrade them, however I would like for the moment keep the 225/75r16 tires, because they are new. I found a local guy that is selling a set of 16x8 Rubicon rims that are 5x114.3 16's, just not sure if it's too wide.

The other set that I like are from the new Liberty rims which look like they have the same stats, just not sure on backspacing?

I have used the search to try and find the answer, so any help would be appreciated.

FATKAT750

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. How about the new Liberty's? Has anyone installed a set of those rims on theirs?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a picture or link to the rims your talking about on the new liberty?

x 3 on 225 being way to skinny for 8 inch wild wheels as has already been pointed out.

To keep your current tires you would be looking for the factory size of 16x 7 with 5.5 inches of back spacing. If you have less backspacing you will rub on your fenders when you turn your wheels unlifted.

Most of the new libertys come on 17 inch rims which won't help you keep your tires either. I cannot confirm the new rim sizes but they are likely the same as the limited editions rims that were available in 2007. 17 x 7.5 , slightly less then ~6 inches of back spacing

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the ones that I am interested in. (2010 Jeep Liberty Renegade)

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201001/2010-jeep-liberty-renegad_1600x0w.jpg

They show to be 16x7 5x4.5. Not sure on the backspacing though

I've seen a picture on here with those rims on the KJ, but I have no idea what size tire he or she was running. Or if it was lifted, for that matter. If you're going to drop a lot of money on rims, you might as well do it right and get the Rubi wheels, tires that fit, and lift. But that's a lot of money and I understand why you wouldn't want to do it.

I would just paint the factory wheels. Simple, cheap, and effective.

FATKAT750

Reaction score
I found a set of 16x8 Moab rims on craigslist and looking to get a set of 235/70 16's. I've seen the combo on other libbie's and the tire shows that it will fit. Not looking to do a lift any time soon and wondering if I would have rubbing issues at all?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The moabs will kick your tires out a ~couple inches so when you turn they will rub on the front fender when turned. IE you need a lift to run moabs.

I have 245 75 on my moab copys and they are narrow for that rim, I would have went 265 70 but do not like the tire options for my needs. my front fender is 22 inches wheel hub to fender and they do rub slightly when flexed and this is after i got the heat gun to it. If i had bought stock 16 x 7 alloys like many run, i would have ZERO rubbing, well maybe on the sway bar.
3183-p4210012.jpg

note how they aren't very fat near the rim.

235 70 will not be happy for an 8 inch rim. smallest tire I've seen (forum wise) mounted on moabs is 245 70 16 and not highly recommended by most but will "fit" according to some tire manufacturers. you do risk blowing the tire bead if you air down excessively/ at all, hence why most recommend the 7 inch wide rim.

You can however fit 245 70 16 unlifted on stock rims 16 with no issues. Unless your lifting, stock size rims are your best choice. Even after lifting they will not practically limit you up to 245 75 16s, only with wider tires.

I choose the 8 inch wide rim as i really needed to get rid of my 17 inch chrome and am lifted enough to fit. Also gave up looking for replacement stock alloy wheels after limited success in finding 5 matching and not wanting to go to steel. Shipping to Canada also *****.

Last edited: