Replacing wife's current 04 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00_Newedge

Reaction score
I am looking to get my wife a newer SUV. She has a 2004 Liberty Renegade w/ 110K miles. The ****** is starting to act a little wierd and it is leaking some fluids.

My question is, did they every improve the Liberty since its introduction. I like our vehicle for what it is but I despise its transmission. It never seems to want to accelerate and once at speed, it never seems to want to shift when passing.

My question is, are the newer KK's more reliable than the KJ's and did they ever put a better transmission in them?

Thanks

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the front of the drive line is the same (3.7L engine and 42RLE transmission). So no, you won't get any more reliability in the transmission there. HOWEVER. These 42RLEs can go pretty far from the factory...IF you treat them right. Flush and fresh fluid every 30k miles. I'm not being an advocate for the transmission, though, considering mine failed too and I hate the 42RLE. BUT it's also worth saying that I used to beat the ever living crap out of my old transmission. (N-drops, temperature spikes) It probably would have gone a lot further than 80k miles had I treated it right.

Last edited:

00_Newedge

Reaction score
Are there any fixes that can be done to the 42RLE ****** that makes it shift better? I found a shift kit with new springs online but was not sure if anyone tried that yet.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a loaded question. People have good and horrible opinions on the TransGo shift kit. Other people can chime in with their expertise in that area.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said it is an 04 with 110,000 on it. Was the ****** fluid ever changed? And ONLY ATF+4 used? Any other fluid will cause problems.

Dave

00_Newedge

Reaction score
You said it is an 04 with 110,000 on it. Was the ****** fluid ever changed? And ONLY ATF+4 used? Any other fluid will cause problems.

Dave

We bought the Jeep used. Within 6K miles, the ****** started shuddering and caused a horrible vibration. My brother in law worked for a transmission shop and helped me flush the transmission. He told me that the fluid coming out of the pan was GM fluid, he could tell by the smell and consistency. We replaced with the OEM fluid and that fixed the ****** issues for 60K miles, but it ocassionally slams into gear.

With it leaking fluids, probably needing a torque converter, and several onther items, I feel it is better to get one that is not 10 years old.

Besides that, it has been an very good, reliable vehicle.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling if you get one from new (or close to new) that you will have fewer problems with it. To me, it just seemed like bad luck and bad care on the previous owner. Considering the ****** lasted 60k miles (without a flush?) after having the wrong fluid in it...that's not bad at all. And it's still working. Maybe not 100%...but it shifts, right?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So, it looks like you bought the Jeep with around 40k on it. It wasn't even time for a transmission flush so why did it have GM fluid in it?

I can see why you had transmission issues if that was the problem.

00_Newedge

Reaction score
It still shifts fine most of the time, it only occasionally shifts hard.

I am not sure why it had GM fluid in it, I bought it from a non jeep dealership and the previous owners service reciepts were from some no name service shop. We flushed it at 45K miles and put in the correct fluid.

Why, I don't know.

My Brother in-law said it felt like the vanes in the torques converter were the issue before the flush.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
04 with only 110,000 miles? I drive it like I stole it , have the trans rebuilt when and if the time comes and keep it.
Love to find a low mileage 04 like yours
As far as hard shifts at times, seems to be sort of the nature of the beast. Every now and again mine will do that but doesn't hurt a thing

00_Newedge

Reaction score
04 with only 110,000 miles? I drive it like I stole it , have the trans rebuilt when and if the time comes and keep it.
Love to find a low mileage 04 like yours
As far as hard shifts at times, seems to be sort of the nature of the beast. Every now and again mine will do that but doesn't hurt a thing

I would be happy to sell it to you. It is in very good shape. Only issue are the ones I noted.

Runs and drives great most of the time.

Make me an offer haha.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it looks like you bought the Jeep with around 40k on it. It wasn't even time for a transmission flush so why did it have GM fluid in it?

I can see why you had transmission issues if that was the problem.

I misremembered the flush time and had mine done at 30,000 something. But also because the Trans pan's paint was chunking of and appeared to be rusting. I think I have the pic's in my computer. It appeared it would have started leaking soon. So that's a possible reason.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also drive mine like I stole it. And she has no problem shifting to pass or anything like that. I have 245/75/16 and stock gears also

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be happy to sell it to you. It is in very good shape. Only issue are the ones I noted.

Runs and drives great most of the time.

Make me an offer haha.

Is it black?
well any color but silver, white , green , blue,

00_Newedge

Reaction score
It is the black renegade.

Has a newer set of 255x65x16 General Grabber AT2's also. I don't have any pic's on me.