Replacing Steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard could it be? and if difficult, how much do you think dealer would charge to replace it?
Looks like the steering wheels go for about $50 on e-bay, shipped. Mine is all scraped and cracked, and in the summer leaves a lot of leather piece on my hand, so I decided to replace it if I can find black leather wheel on ebay.
Just wanted to get some ideas.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt believe it would be to bad. Of course Im sure the dealer would charge an arm and a leg.

-Unhook battery.
-Take two screws off of the bottom of the case thats around the steering column.
-Take Air bag off
-Take steering wheel off
-Put new one on and be happy

Have you been putting Armor All on it? (whistle)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Taking the old one out and putting a new one should be relatively easy....i'd just be worried about the air bag.

Also make sure you get one with the same "options" yours has....If you have cruise control and steering wheel mounted radio controls, get another one with cruise control and steering wheel mounted radio controls.....the theory behind that is that everything shouldjust plug right up...

Temporary solution would be to get a steering wheel cover....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am also worried about the airbag going off, but as long as battery is disconnected, it should not go off, right?

Yes, I was looking at the one that had the same options as mine, but that was gone, the dude made short term auction or something.... peh! Now there is another one but that's brown/grayish, which I am not interested in. So I will wait for another one and get that.

For the temp solution, I really hate those covers, there was one which we've discussed here I believe, leather wrap, but that one costs almost same as a replacement wheel! :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Thanks, I am also worried about the airbag going off, but as long as battery is disconnected, it should not go off, right?

Disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes before you even touch the steering wheel. After 20 minutes, the air bag system will be discharged, eliminating the possibility of it going off in your face.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do NOT have to get one with the same options as yours, you're only swapping out the casing after all. The guts of yours are going to stay the same and transfer over to the new one (airbag, clock spring, steering wheel controls, wiring harness, cruise control). Once you take a steering wheel apart, the only thing you are left with is the wheel, as in THE ROUND THING, and a very small bit of casing. The part on the back where the audio controls go is a totally different part - a sleeve that attaches separately. So really, just get a steering wheel housing stripped down to it's absolute guts in a color you like and buy it. They go for 30 bucks all the time and are a 300 dollar part.

As far as deconstruction and reinstallation goes...get a steering wheel puller from Advance for free (with deposit) and you should have all the other tools at home if you have even a modest collection of sockets and drivers. Just disconnect the battery and turn the wheel a little bit side to side, without locking it, and hit the brakes a couple times and it will discharge all the juice left in the system. Either way, wait another 10 minutes to be on the safe side :) And do all your wiring unhooking from the passenger seat so you don't blow your nose off if it does find a way to deploy.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just remember to have the steering wheel perfectly straight before taking it off.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
especko said:
just remember to have the steering wheel perfectly straight before taking it off.

damn, just remembered, benz have angle display in dash :-s that's messed up.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to check with the dealer at least about the clock spring. On some vehicles the clock spring cannot be re-used. Although this may not cause the airbag to blow when you start the car back up, it could cause the airbag light to remain on. And be sure when you start the car back up, start it from the passenger side, but don't rest your hand on the seat so the pass airbag sensor will not active the pass side airbag. The clockspring is the worst part of hte job, the rest is easy. As long as you wait 15 min or so after you disconnect the battery cable, then there is nothing to worry about.

Tim

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think caused the leather on the wheel to crack? What if you went to the dealer first (warrenty-defect???) Are you within your 3/36 from your purchase date? Don't tell them you put anything on it.

Just thinking out loud here............

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
What do you think caused the leather on the wheel to crack? What if you went to the dealer first (warrenty-defect???) Are you within your 3/36 from your purchase date? Don't tell them you put anything on it.

Dave

been there, done that.
dealer = normal wear and tear.. and some of the dealers greasy hands on my wheel-- ](*,) while some people were getting replacements..

I have no idea what caused it, but the cracks are gone since it was sand-papered by my palms. In the summer the sunlight kills the leather.. I did not use excessive armor all on the leather, but yes I did use leather armor all on it. I think it was the sun.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dave said:

Dave
I'm wondering if there were a few bad batches of steering wheels because my '04 did the same thing... mine looked TERRIBLE even before 10,000 miles..... and even worse when I got rid of it. My sister's '05 looks great and my '06 looks the same.

(but it's still cheap leather)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they used Rat leather for the first batch, later upgraded to Weasel...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:
You might want to check with the dealer at least about the clock spring. On some vehicles the clock spring cannot be re-used. Although this may not cause the airbag to blow when you start the car back up, it could cause the airbag light to remain on. And be sure when you start the car back up, start it from the passenger side, but don't rest your hand on the seat so the pass airbag sensor will not active the pass side airbag. The clockspring is the worst part of hte job, the rest is easy. As long as you wait 15 min or so after you disconnect the battery cable, then there is nothing to worry about.

Tim
You don't have to remove the clock spring to replace the steering wheel.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind changing out my steering wheel due to excessive wear. I would like to add the radio controls to it though, if possible.

Be careful with the airbag system. You don't want it to blow off in your face...that would hurt. I just wanted to add that part.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I would like to add the radio controls to it though, if possible.

I've often wondered if that can be done as an add-on. My 2003 doesn't have steering wheel controls, and I would love to have them. Of course, I changed the HU to an after market unit, so that would probably complicate things a bit.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To both of you...it's been done. I added them to mine a while ago with 50 dollars worth of parts. Even less if you find a steering wheel from your year that has it. I have a semi-ready How To I was going to post in a little once I get better pictures.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
To both of you...it's been done. I added them to mine a while ago with 50 dollars worth of parts. Even less if you find a steering wheel from your year that has it. I have a semi-ready How To I was going to post in a little once I get better pictures.

with PAC interface? Only if someone could post the picture of where we needed to tap into the wires near starter cylinder... I looked and looked, don't know what they meant by those wires. SO I gave up on pac wired controller.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no, like add them altogether to a car that did not come with switches. If I ever install an aftermarket HU I will need the PAC unit, but I can't tell you how to wire it up, no.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
No no, like add them altogether to a car that did not come with switches. If I ever install an aftermarket HU I will need the PAC unit, but I can't tell you how to wire it up, no.

I see, No problem. I am sure it is much easier than it sounds.