Replacing Steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aight dude, roll down the window, tie a rope to a tree then to the steering wheel.. Floor it, DONT put your hands on the steering wheel.. After the old one it gone, put the new one on before you wreck. \:D/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA ahhhh, my co-workers are looking at me, you blew my cover! Now I have to work........

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes before you even touch the steering wheel. After 20 minutes, the air bag system will be discharged, eliminating the possibility of it going off in your face.

Make sure to do this.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this to mine as well...I have the white leather accents on my seats and steering wheel...while my seats are mint, the steering wheel needs some TLC. It's gonna be hard to find another one to match it though.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I yanked the wheel, I was nervous. If you read the FSM, it says disconnect battery, wait 2 min, then go. I put in the new clockspring last night so that steering wheel radio controls would work. Got a brand new clockspring for $75, a Limited steering wheel in primo condition for $30. Only thing I needed was the new bolt they say to replace, which was $.50 from the dealer. According to the FSM, as long as the air bag did NOT deploy, clockspring is good, you just have to re-center it. Brand new ones come pre-centered, all you have to do is put it in, get it cinched in and connected, then pull of the plastic centering piece (guess I should've taken pics....). Put the wheel on (keyed shaft, only goes one way), plug it in, bolt it down, put the air bag back on and go! So nice now to be able to drive both vehicles and have the same options. Now I just need the overhead console.

Latest posts

Members online