Replacing radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ok, good to know. Actually, I wish I knew that about 20 months ago when my radiator sprung a leak. I had the shop replace it at quite a cost! I also used a generic radiator as I didn't know about the Mopar only stance. So far so good, though.

I'll replace it myself next time if I need to.

PaddyR

Reaction score
Yes you take the grill off but you do not remove the transmission cooler and A/C condenser(the 2 separate smaller radiators). They are the in front of the radiator and is the most PIA part of this remove and replace....getting the old radiator out around these two other grills will chew up your hands.
I just replaced my in-laws 06 sport (160K miles) with an amazon radiator (~$80). The reviews were very good (not that I really believe amazon reviews as much as I used to) and I have had luck with my 01 Cherokee sport amazon radiator (going on 4 years) so I figured I'd go cheap. I read in the forums to only buy the Mopar but disregarded this. I installed the amazon special and noticed a small leak on the passengers side of the radiator after only 2 days. The original leak of the original OEM radiator was on the upper drivers side of the radiator and was pretty significant. I bought some UV raditator leak detect (8 bucks Oriellys) and discovered the leak was on the new radiator, where the plastic meet the metal, lower passenger side. Now I'm buying the mopar on rock auto for $200....

Assuming I use a clean container, any issue trying to recover as much Zerex fluid and reusing? It's brand new and I already have about 15 quarts of old fluid I need to return and dont want to have to recycle double that....and I'm cheap.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming I use a clean container, any issue trying to recover as much Zerex fluid and reusing? It's brand new and I already have about 15 quarts of old fluid I need to return and dont want to have to recycle double that....and I'm cheap.

To be safe, span a paper towel or something similar over a funnel, and pour the used coolant through it. That will filter out almost all debris in it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes you take the grill off but you do not remove the transmission cooler and A/C condenser(the 2 separate smaller radiators). They are the in front of the radiator and is the most PIA part of this remove and replace....getting the old radiator out around these two other grills will chew up your hands.
I just replaced my in-laws 06 sport (160K miles) with an amazon radiator (~$80). The reviews were very good (not that I really believe amazon reviews as much as I used to) and I have had luck with my 01 Cherokee sport amazon radiator (going on 4 years) so I figured I'd go cheap. I read in the forums to only buy the Mopar but disregarded this. I installed the amazon special and noticed a small leak on the passengers side of the radiator after only 2 days. The original leak of the original OEM radiator was on the upper drivers side of the radiator and was pretty significant. I bought some UV raditator leak detect (8 bucks Oriellys) and discovered the leak was on the new radiator, where the plastic meet the metal, lower passenger side. Now I'm buying the mopar on rock auto for $200....

I had a shop install a cheap one like that (didn't have time to wait for a Mopar one) and it lasted 4 years, then leaked from that exact spot where the plastic meets the metal on the passenger side. Replaced it with a Mopar one.

Muddy

Reaction score
I just did this job yesterday after the aftermarket radiator the PO installed blew a 4" long crack in the drivers side tank, spraying coolant all over the whole engine bay. I replaced it with a Mopar one from rockauto (~180 shipped after discount code). It wasn't bad, the hardest part is dealing with those soft rubber air shield things on either side.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this job yesterday after the aftermarket radiator the PO installed blew a 4" long crack in the drivers side tank, spraying coolant all over the whole engine bay. I replaced it with a Mopar one from rockauto (~180 shipped after discount code). It wasn't bad, the hardest part is dealing with those soft rubber air shield things on either side.

Does a new mopar rad come with those soft rubber air curtain things? Those went in the garbage along with my old rad. So far I haven't had any issues without them but they must be there for a reason.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a new mopar rad come with those soft rubber air curtain things? Those went in the garbage along with my old rad. So far I haven't had any issues without them but they must be there for a reason.

No but you could probably fab something to fill the void.

Edit: Sorry I meant no the Mopar rad doesn't come with them...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes there is a reason for them to be there, funnel more air towards the radiator , everything on a vehicle has a reason to be where it is, although sometimes you wonder about why certain people are where they are:happy175: