Replacing front hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kasey Hill

Hntnlib
Reaction score
Hi all. Let me start by saying I am not very mechanically inclined. I got a quote from a local shop to replace the front hubs on my 2004 kj, and it was over $800! I was able to purchase both front hubs for a reasonable price and now I'm thinking about doing it myself. Do any of you have experience with this? I have all basic tools, but are there any specialty tools needed? Is this something that someone with very limited experience can do? Thanks in advance

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve done it myself before. If the hub is rusted into the knuckle, it can be a challenge. But it’s doable. You’ll have to rent a hub puller from your local auto parts store. Borrowing or owning an impact is extremely helpful also. Check out this recent video by ChrisFix over on YouTube. He’s doing the job on a Ford Ranger but the KJ hub replacement procedure is pretty much the same.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Also watch this how to video by 1AAuto.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I added a second video above that is also important to watch to decide if you want to tackle this job.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! They mustve really not wanted to do that job.

Like was mentioned above, its not a bad job IF everything isnt rusted into place. Removing the CV joint nut and tightening it is the hardest part. Think its a 35mm (MAYBE 36mm) bolt, and mine needs a deepwell.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If no rusted in place not a bad job, just take your time Changed a bunch of them and never needed a hub puller
How did you get them out? The slide hammer was nearly useless for me but I needed to puller to put pressure on the hub while I hit it with my 2 lb sledge so it would pop out. Also used a ton of penetrating oil in the process.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna mention the above tool e-14. No puller needed. A mini sledge 3-4 pound is all you need. A couple knocks straight in on the axle to separate the splines and a few knocks on the sides of the hub to bust it loose. Also a large screwdriver into the disc vent and rotate it against the brake caliper bracket (not the caliper) when removing and torqueing the axle nut.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get the axle nut socket and puller from your LAPS tool loaner program.

Last edited:

Big jon

Reaction score
Hi all. Let me start by saying I am not very mechanically inclined. I got a quote from a local shop to replace the front hubs on my 2004 kj, and it was over $800! I was able to purchase both front hubs for a reasonable price and now I'm thinking about doing it myself. Do any of you have experience with this? I have all basic tools, but are there any specialty tools needed? Is this something that someone with very limited experience can do? Thanks in advance

You can absolutely do it yourself! As stated, they can be a bear if they "rust weld" themselves in but heat and a BFH has always been a nice helper for hubs. Whether they be bolt in or press in I have had them go both ways.... Fall right out or spend HOURS beating on them first. That price is insane! A buddy of mine was quoted $525 to replace ONE,1, rear hub on a '06 impala and he already had the part! That was a local midas..... I was so pissed because he didn't tell me this until AFTER he had them do it. He didn't want to call me because it was early on a Sunday.... He'll call next time lol. Another buddy was charged $315 for a front hub on his van... Took the guy 20 minutes from start to finish and still demanded the full $315.....anyway, I'm getting off track here.... As long as you have the right tools and patience you can absolutely DIY... After the first one you'll see they just look intimidating. Get in there and show that knuckle whose boss buddy! You got this.

frankmacer

Reaction score
Hey, you can do it, you just need the sockets to release the Hub from the back it's a specialty socket I'm not sure what its called. it's like a star socket or something, you can buy it at Harbor Freight they're not expensive at all. you need to soak everything in penetrating oil the day before you're going to need to take off the the hub nut because you're going to need to release the the front CV shaft so that you can pull the Hub out you're going to have to disconnect the the wheel sensor as well the new Hub should come with new wheel sensors because you're not going to be able to pull them out of the old hubs you can try I had them been. Remove roter caliper, hang it from the spring with a bunch cord. Get good hubs I bought them on Amazon, one went bad aft 2 years. My mechanic replaced it this time no time I was working. It was from autozone and the new one is good. So far 1 year np. Good luck can ask me anything I have replaced everything on my 2006 liberty. I love my jeep. Water pump change today leek aft like 6 years. It happens.

Christine Tomlin

Reaction score
Anywhere East of the Rockies & Carolinas and South

I watched the ChrisFix video this last week and I agree if I decide to do it myself I believe I could if I had the pull tool. Just for one side, my Chrysler dealer quoted me $430 when I found Hub assemble by Moog for $124 at O'Reilly's, which comes with the abs sensor.

justjeeps

Reaction score

I did not require a puller to replace the driver side knuckle on a 2002 liberty - Be sure to buy a known part manufacture with good track record - rock auto gives its customer choices but most auto parts will sell the brand they carry. No big deal unless you want to do it twice...

Tomliberty05

Reaction score
And don't forgot to put antiziese on everything
on a side note I change both of mine and the rear sensor because the sensors went bad and the dam abs light and brake light are still on

stumpumper46

Reaction score
When I replaced mine the first time they were STUCK.
So I used a gear puller and a 2 foot long handle. I pushed so ******* the handle I feared I would break the puller, but it still would not let loose.
I got a torch that sits on a tall skinny bottle of gas and put it right on the old bearing.
Then I got out of the way because I was sure it would come off with force. And I was right. That thing flew six feet when it let go. If I had been standing there it would have done some serious damage to me.
Get or borrow a reliable torque wrench and use locktite on everything.

Do NOT use an impact wrench on the gear puller. It will damage the threads.