Renny Hitch Install + Tow Hook?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my Draw-tite hitch and wiring is showing up from Etrailer tomorrow. ~$15.00 shipping which I thought was decent.

Anyways, my Renny has a tow hook and after a quick glance it looks like it's bolted to one possibly two holes that are used for the hitch install. In looking through the service manual it appears that I'm correct in that guess. Question is, do you think I can place the hitch up first and then the tow hook, and then bolt them both to the frame? At first I thought that would be the way to go. Then I searched and found an earlier post on this site that someone indicated Uhaul had to take off the tow hook for the install so I'm not sure now. What do y'all think?

I guess as a second option I could ditch the tow hook and just get a D-ring mount for the receiver that i've seen on various forums.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amarony said:
I guess as a second option I could ditch the tow hook and just get a D-ring mount for the receiver that i've seen on various forums.

D-Ring is the best option.
Using a tow strap with looped ends (not metal hooks)...
If you hook the tow strap loop over the tow hook on your vehicle, there is a chance that it could slip off (usually when pulled on an angle upwards). If you put that same strap through the D-Ring and use the hitch receiver it isn't coming out of there without a major catastrophic faliure.
Although I have front hooks (which I installed), I also realize that a front hitch receiver would've been a much better option, but money always gets in the way of the things we REALLY want. :-({|=
So if you can afford the hitch receiver D-Ring setup, go that route. \:D/

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intalled

Well did the hitch install this afternoon. Pretty routine install and I opted to leave the tow hook off.

So anyone need a tow hook and mounting plate?