Renegade A/C Condenser different than non-Renegade Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
Is the A/C Condenser for 05 Liberty Renegade (3.7 L) different from non-Renegade Jeeps?

I'm cannot seem to find an A/C condenser that will fit/replace my original condenser on my 05 Renegade version Liberty.

My A/C compressor recently failed on my 05 Jeep Liberty Renegade so I pulled a used one from Pull-A-Part and then ordered a Drier and A/C Condenser from Rock Auto. When I went to install the new A/C Condenser, the two male fittings would not fit/align into the new condenser no matter how hard I tried to manipulate them. When I pulled the new A/C Condenser from the vehicle and lined it up against my original, that's when I noticed the difference on the mating surface between my original condenser and the new condenser (my original condenser is on the right in the side-by-side photo). The tubing on the new condenser also did not match exactly that of my original even though the product picture for the new part featured on the website did match my original.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RockAuto returned the Condenser and agreed it did not match, labeling it a incorrect labeled part, however the replacement was exactly the same as the first. I then ordered from PartsGeek seeking a different manufacturer and by purchasing a new A/C Condenser based on product picture matching my original - but received the same style condenser that I was sent by RockAuto. It seems that none of the parts companies provide a Top-View of the condensers which would instantly help in identifying if the mating surface matches my Renegade Condenser.

I also own a 2003 Liberty Sport and its condenser mating surface is the same as the new A/C condensers shipped to me by both RockAuto and PartsGeek however none of the part websites offer a different condenser part number for the Renegade model only for 2.8L diesel model. I wonder if my Condenser is the same as the 2.8L as it is the only variation offered.

At this point, I guess I'll have to re-use the original condenser unless I can find one that fits.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm I'm not sure.

My condenser fittings is exactly like your broken one.

Possibly the difference I could think of is you either received one for the 2.4L or this doesn't have the in radiator transmission cooler.

Sorry, I'm only guessing here since I don't know.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
hmmmmm I'm not sure.

My condenser fittings is exactly like your broken one.

Possibly the difference I could think of is you either received one for the 2.4L or this doesn't have the in radiator transmission cooler.

Sorry, I'm only guessing here since I don't know.

No, though my initial thought was that RockAuto sent the wrong part because the OEM product number referenced for the Dorman Condenser was not correct but the actual dorman part shipped contained the correct Dorman part number. As I said earlier, the new Condenser would fit perfectly in my 2003 Jeep Liberty which has the same mating surface. The condenser part description says it fits 3.7L gas and the 2.4L diesel. Only the 2.8L diesel has a different OEM Condenser part number.

The 05 & 06 Renegade has a taller grill and flat hood than your standard 02-07 Liberty which is why I think the A/C Condenser is different on this model.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if you took note of what my KJ model is.
I have an 03 limited version so I don't think your last statement is true. IDK

Hard to believe they would spend the extra money to retool the production line for different KJ trim models.

Might as well go to a B&M autoparts store and pick one up.

probably one of those stupid aftermarket stupidity.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does 06-07 have a different part number? Might be worth looking at, especially if you have a late 05. Jeep did a bunch of running changes...like some 07s have an open cooling system. Or like my LR3 is an 07 but they changed O2 sensors then so I actually have to get 08 ones.

If you give your vin to a dealer they might be able to help.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
Does 06-07 have a different part number? Might be worth looking at, especially if you have a late 05. Jeep did a bunch of running changes...like some 07s have an open cooling system. Or like my LR3 is an 07 but they changed O2 sensors then so I actually have to get 08 ones.

If you give your vin to a dealer they might be able to help.

I'll give the dealer a call. I actually own three KJs. one 2003 and two 05 Renegades and both Renegades have the exact same A/C Condenser vs. the 03 Liberty.

I just called an online dealer, gave him my vin and he gave me the OEM part number 5183560AC which is the same part number I ordered from RockAuto that didn't fit.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might just need to go to a dealer with your VIN and buy OEM. What's the part number on your old condenser? What if you run your part number from the damaged condenser through a search engine, does anything come up?

When I run that 560AC number myself, and check if it fits my 03, moparpartsgiant.com says NO. The part numbers that they then give are 55037465AC which they say was replaced by 5161913AA.

I think you should see what part number you had that DID fit.. and then run that and see if it was superceded and go from there.