Removing Orange Peel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why you getting rid of your jeep next year?

Because I hate it. My other option is just to trade with my father (he drives a KJ) and take over his payments, but I don't really like the ergonomics of the KJ much better than I like the driving (constant) dynamics of my JK. Maybe I'll feel differently when I have a car to drive again, but currently I want to get rid of the thing. Anybody want an '07 Rubi loaded? $25k.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I hate it. My other option is just to trade with my father (he drives a KJ) and take over his payments, but I don't really like the ergonomics of the KJ much better than I like the driving (constant) dynamics of my JK. Maybe I'll feel differently when I have a car to drive again, but currently I want to get rid of the thing. Anybody want an '07 Rubi loaded? $25k.

I'm sorry to hear that you are that unhappy with it. No offense, but I don't think anyone is going to want a used '07 for $25k. You can get new ones for about $28K here. I don't know KBB on it, but I know depreciation *****....

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a KBB for an '07 JK Rubi. I don't know if the Jeep in question is a 2 door or 4 door, has a soft or hard top. I added on the hard top, the auto transmission and used the standard mileage of 12k. I also selected 'excellant' for the Jeep's condition even tho less than 5% of any used vehicle qualifies for that rating.

Here are the numbers for an Arizona based JK:

- 2 door Sport... $27,265.00
- 4 door Unlimited... $29,265.00

Sport... http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...550|true&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=0

Unlimited... http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...400|true&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=0

I have to agree with desertkj. I think I would go for a new one for a few $$$ more, rather than a used one based in NH. sad2.gif

Boy has this thread veered off course... 8-[

Last edited:

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to sell it, I'm just looking to keep the mileage as low as humanly possible and in as good condition as possible so I can trade it in next August-ish on the '08 Saab 9-3 Black Turbo (300+ WHP, AWD, ~28mpg, good handling)
I've actually been unhappy with the JK for some time now, just I haven't done anything about it. However, if someone wants to buy it for a good price then by all means.

2wheeler

Reaction score
that dreaded orange peel

wasnt sure how to start a new post but here I am>>>>>>>just repainted a motorcycle part section, pretty scary but am working thru it. so I put down 3 base coats and tried to apply some clear with some very expensive clear from a rattle can, the tip must have been faulty cuzz it didnot spray out in a fan which is what I wanted, needless to say I got some runs and uneveness, so I sanded it down and started over with a better spray tip which was better

anyway, here I am with 3 coats clear and am seeing some OP...so let the clear dry and started rubbing out with maquires fine cut,it kinda helps but can see that damn OP....should I do more wetsanding with 700 G or try a machine?

I also see some here have some excellent advice so will keep reading but can still use some input

Last edited:

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am very interested in your Rubi.. PM me please

aside from that.. i take orange peel out of paint everyday working at a bodyshop (that my father owns).. i cut it down with 2000gt paper wet... i use water and a few drops of dish soap in a squirt bottle... use either a foam block or paint stick wraped with paper to avoid deeper than normal cuts from finger pressure.

then i use a white (has more knobs) 3M foam pad on a buffer and 3M extra cut compound (it's white)... buff it untill none of the scratches are left.. checking for scratches with a florescent drop light works well. then i go over it with a 3M foam pad with larger and less knobs.. it's black in color.. and i use that with a black in color 3M compound. if used correctly no wax or hand glaze is needed.. but if you get a lot of swirls you can use 3M hand glaze to remove it (tan colored liquid)

carful with that wool pad. will burn through edges ALOT faster than a foam pad.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in your Rubi.. PM me please

aside from that.. i take orange peel out of paint everyday working at a bodyshop (that my father owns).. i cut it down with 2000gt paper wet... i use water and a few drops of dish soap in a squirt bottle... use either a foam block or paint stick wraped with paper to avoid deeper than normal cuts from finger pressure.

then i use a white (has more knobs) 3M foam pad on a buffer and 3M extra cut compound (it's white)... buff it untill none of the scratches are left.. checking for scratches with a florescent drop light works well. then i go over it with a 3M foam pad with larger and less knobs.. it's black in color.. and i use that with a black in color 3M compound. if used correctly no wax or hand glaze is needed.. but if you get a lot of swirls you can use 3M hand glaze to remove it (tan colored liquid)

carful with that wool pad. will burn through edges ALOT faster than a foam pad.

i think he got rid of that thing about a year ago...not to mention, you can get a brand new one for $25K now with the way the economy is.:D