Remote Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one, I am lookin for some opinions because I am getting one for my gf for Xmas.

Make/Brand?
Price?
Install - DIY, or pay?
Like it so Far?
Reliability?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about it myself - but not sure. So far the only place I checked was the Mopar website and got this...

1) remote start module kit - part #82208859ab - $100.

2) remote start installation kit - #82288998ae - $199.

3) remote start - 2 way - #82209985 - $99. - says it updates #1 above???????

Anyway, I just looked this up yesterday and these seem to be the Mopar parts and they are a little pricey. I didn't go any further as I don't think I need it for those prices + installation. I was going to check elcewhere but didn't get around to it yet. I assume if you got the Mopar parts it would integrate well and you wouldn't have a warrenty problem as I don't think I feel comfortable enough to istall it myself unless the Mopar parts are just plug in (ya right!!!!!).

I could get a locker for those prices........

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i bought my 02 liberty used, it had one installed already. i like it a lot, and it works from REALLY far away. the remote says "cool start"

when i open the back door of the shop, ican start my jeep from the whole length of the parking lot away. and the doors lock when it starts so i dont have to worry about anybody getting in while its running

when i hold the start button, the parking lights turn on, then a few seconds pass.. they turn off as the engine starts and they turn back on. so you know it started when the lights flash. just gotta make sure when i get out of my jeep i have the fans on high and the heat on high so when i start it up its ready. i wonder if i can have someone wire it so that the rear defroster turns on when i start it

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did some shopping last night. I also looke on a jeep parts site that sells the Mopar kit.

According to Best Buy, because the key has that chip, they say they need to actually take the chip out of a spare key and use it, not to mention that the unit is $160, and some bypass for another $60 and something else. It came out to be almost $250-$260.

I looked online and found a Jeep site selling the Mopar kit for $159, and the Harness piece for $80. Total of $239 and I really think I can install this myself. I am calling today to make sure that is all I will need cause for $239 I would just rather get the OEM.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF your key has the chip, you will have to have a spare key programmed for your Jeep. This can be a blank off of Ebay. Then this key has to be put in the bypass box. This lets the computer read the key to bypass the starter key in the onboard security system.

IF you don't have the chip key (and I don't), then you can install an aftermarket starter without the extra key. However, you might want to look at a security system with the integrated start function. Cost won't be much higher, if any, and installation won't be much more involved.

I am looking at this myself. I just have a hard time justifying it since i keep my Libby in a garage. It would help to have it warm at work for the trip home though.

Another thing to keep in mind though is that they can be illegal. Here in my area there is a law against leaving a car running without a driver in it. I know that sounds stupid, but there was a news segment on people getting tickets because their car was in the driveway warming up while they were in their house. The insurance companies are pushing it for theft reasons. They specifically asked about remote starter systems and the police said that the law didn't specify any exceptions so that they would be tickted.

Go government and Corporations! Yay!
Rescu2000

Also, autotoys has a remote starter with keyless entry (crimestopper) for $67 and a security system with remote start and 2-way remotes for $82 that will work two cars from the same 4 button remote.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya,
Unfortunately my gf's Liberty (aka Louie) is outside all the time, no garaging as of yet (till we get a house together). The unit from Mopar comes with two new FOBs, so I am assuming you just pull the key out of your original FOB and drop it in the new one. The new one must have a starter button on it and I have a buddy who can do the install for way less than 100$ he says.

So I figure $240 for the equipment, and he can do the install.

I have seen cheap ones and other styles that have keyless entry. But why would I need that when she already has it, I am big on keeping things clean and neat, so no need for all these remotes that do the same thing.

Emydol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my boyfriend put one in my 04 as an early christmas present. i dont know the exact model # but it was viper. i can check it out some tomorrow for the model #.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whelan said:
The unit from Mopar comes with two new FOBs, so I am assuming you just pull the key out of your original FOB and drop it in the new one. The new one must have a starter button on it

The new fob is a seperate item, you will now have the original key fob and a smaller one for the remote start

Bob

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This leads me to think the $80 cartoys one that would give two-car capability, remote start, keyless entry, and alarm all with one remote might be a better choice.
Rescu2000

Y-Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Python 881? I pulled it out of my F350 with the intention of having it reinstalled once I get the Liberty. The remote start is great, but the best feature is the 2-way communication so I know if somebody is goofing around with my rig.

Ronald

Reaction score
IF your key has the chip, you will have to have a spare key programmed for your Jeep. This can be a blank off of Ebay. Then this key has to be put in the bypass box. This lets the computer read the key to bypass the starter key in the onboard security system.

IF you don't have the chip key (and I don't), then you can install an aftermarket starter without the extra key. However, you might want to look at a security system with the integrated start function. Cost won't be much higher, if any, and installation won't be much more involved.

I am looking at this myself. I just have a hard time justifying it since i keep my Libby in a garage. It would help to have it warm at work for the trip home though.

Another thing to keep in mind though is that they can be illegal. Here in my area there is a law against leaving a car running without a driver in it. I know that sounds stupid, but there was a news segment on people getting tickets because their car was in the driveway warming up while they were in their house. The insurance companies are pushing it for theft reasons. They specifically asked about remote starter systems and the police said that the law didn't specify any exceptions so that they would be tickted.

Go government and Corporations! Yay!
Rescu2000

Also, autotoys has a remote starter with keyless entry (crimestopper) for $67 and a security system with remote start and 2-way remotes for $82 that will work two cars from the same 4 button remote.
ANY ADVICE WILL HELP. my liberty had a broken open-door switch on the key chip FOB so I had to go quick and insert the key to shut it off [the alarm not the engine, I bought a new blank key had it cut and programmed so now the old key will still start the engine from outside the Jeep Liberty 2011 with its remote starter button yet still wont shut off alarm going off until I insert the same key into the ignition and turn it up once and everything is fine , so here's the question my new programed key fob wont start the engine outside the liberty with the remote start button yet everything else works, unlocks starts engine inside the jeep , question if the new fob chip key was cloned instead of reprogrammed because I only had one key maybe the hider key in the remote box under the dash hidden isn't responding to the new chip key for the engine to start outside the jeep . What's going on here the old key will start the jeep remotely but the new programmed wont start it but worked with everything else ?