Recurring PO132 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluerolo

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a O2 sensor problem I'm having.
2005 3.7 motor...keeps throwing PO132, I've replaced the 1/1 sensor two times thinking that maybe I had a bad one from the parts store. So even with the second new one the code returns almost immediately. Are theses sensors fused?...or maybe relay?..thx for any help!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a O2 sensor problem I'm having.
2005 3.7 motor...keeps throwing PO132, I've replaced the 1/1 sensor two times thinking that maybe I had a bad one from the parts store. So even with the second new one the code returns almost immediately. Are theses sensors fused?...or maybe relay?..thx for any help!

Check the harness going to that sensor to see if the wiring is frayed or burnt. That code often points to a short in the wiring and the computer assumes it's a problem with the sensor readings.

Also, what brand sensor did you use? If it is a Bosch there are many here who've had problems with them - though you'll spend more an O2 sensor from the dealership they have solved many a problem. If you've purchased two Bosch sensors you've spent the money you would've spent on an OEM sensor.

Check for frayed, burnt or bare wiring on the engine harness connector to the sensor connector first. That might solve the problem.

Bob

bluerolo

Reaction score
Thanks Bob yes they were both Bosch...Ill check wiring ...if ok replace with OEM sensor... here are a few more facts/clues...
1. It seems to throw the code immediately on cold start up....if the truck is warm and has no codes it will not throw the p0132. So if I turn it off it will not come back on until the truck sits awhile and has a cold start up.
2. I don't understand how it can throw the code while the monitors are incomplete?...so after turning it off and not going thru a drive cycle yet, on the next cold start it will throw the code. Isn't it the case that the monitors have to be ready for a code to be thrown? ...if this is the case then maybe this indicates a computer problem? thx for any help..Ron

Last edited:

bluerolo

Reaction score
update...checked all wires and connectors...all good. Decide to go on the info Bob gave regarding the Bosch sensors having issues. The bank 2 upstream was factory original so I swapped that one into the bank 1 spot, and installed the new bosch in bank 2 to see if I could get the code to change and follow the bosch sensor. Sure enough I came up with a bank 2 code now...Although it is different from the former bank 1 code. This one is P0430...insufficient catalytic efficiency. I will give it a bit more drive time to see if the bank 1 code does re-appear, but the fact that I did not have a bank 2 error prior to swapping in the Bosch sensor may be encouraging that I in fact just need to junk the Bosch and goe OEM....thoughts?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update...checked all wires and connectors...all good. Decide to go on the info Bob gave regarding the Bosch sensors having issues. The bank 2 upstream was factory original so I swapped that one into the bank 1 spot, and installed the new bosch in bank 2 to see if I could get the code to change and follow the bosch sensor. Sure enough I came up with a bank 2 code now...Although it is different from the former bank 1 code. This one is P0430...insufficient catalytic efficiency. I will give it a bit more drive time to see if the bank 1 code does re-appear, but the fact that I did not have a bank 2 error prior to swapping in the Bosch sensor may be encouraging that I in fact just need to junk the Bosch and goe OEM....thoughts?
Get a NTK or Denso O2 and be done with it.The only thing bosch that works well on yoru KJ is there Icon wiper blades.