Rebuilt Engine Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpsutich

Reaction score
Drove to the local shopping center, turned off the engine, came out and tried to start it up. The only way that I could get it to run (with lots of rumbling and jumping) was to lightly hold my foot on the gas. Had it towed home.

Replaced the plugs, neighbor hooked up diagnostic system and showed what looked like errors with the O2 sensors. Decided to tow it to the shop.

Mechanic called me today and said that there was zero pressure on cylinder 2. The valve cover was bent. He did a wet/dry compression check. He is still trying to totally figure out what the cheapest option is.

The mechanic mentioned "rebuilt engine"..any idea of what that would cost? I have almost 150,000 miles on the jeep..should I fix it..should I just get a new vehicle? My 16 year old is about to drive..would it be worth it to get it fixed for him?

Not sure of what to do next.

Thanks for any insight.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your looking at about $2500-$5000 for a rebuild,including all labor(removal and install included) .Your probably still looking at at least $3000-$4000 for a used engine with removal/install.

I'd say spend $5000-$6000 to rebuild the engine and trans and you'll be good to go for another 150,000miles or so.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd rebuild it...your gonna spend that much on another car for the future Jeeper, so why not on fixing the KJ that is in good shape otherwise???

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Having a rebuilt installed is more economical than buying another Liberty!
Either that or find a written off/totaled KJ with low miles and install (or have that engine installed)
Friends of mine in the U.S. use these guys.
http://www.barbersauto.net/
BTW, a rebuilt here in B.C. Canada runs $3200.00 and $1270.00 to install.
A 2005 3.7 liter complete engine with 40000 Km/24855 miles $1800.00
A 2004 3.7 liter complete engine with 70000 Km/43496 miles $1400.00

Might be something to look at.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternate viewpoint: Govt. is offering $4500 credit if you trade in a vehicle towards a new one with 3+mpg better rating than the trade itself. We know our KJs don't get great mileage, so if you combine the $4500 credit with $4500 you'll spend on a rebuild, you are already half way to a new vehicle. Just my .02

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternate viewpoint: Govt. is offering $4500 credit if you trade in a vehicle towards a new one with 3+mpg better rating than the trade itself. We know our KJs don't get great mileage, so if you combine the $4500 credit with $4500 you'll spend on a rebuild, you are already half way to a new vehicle. Just my .02
Well if you want to stay with a SUV type of vehicle there is virtually none that get 3mpg better then a KJ.Wouldn't bet on the govt actually honoring that anyways.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well if you want to stay with a SUV type of vehicle there is virtually none that get 3mpg better then a KJ.Wouldn't bet on the govt actually honoring that anyways.

Unless, you get a (blarg)Crossover....but I'd rather walk.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think most small SUV's now would actually support that. I can think of three right now. They are not meant for off-road, but if it's for a first vehicle that may be an advantage.

And to the OP, that would be a hard decision for me. Mine is only worth about $7k now according to KBB, so you may want to do some research first.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep and those include everything that is considered in the KJ's class except the H3 and the Land Rover.

And both of those are(blarg).....

The only vehicles I'd replace the KJ with (none are fuel efficient)- JK, Dodge Ram, Ford F-150...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope......................................

The Jeep Rescue

You must be registered for see images attach

And only for the one with the 5.9 Cummins I-6 and the 68RFE.

(kneel)

Drooooooool!!!!! Love the chrome rear shocks.:p

Dana 60's in that rig?

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Nope......................................

The Jeep Rescue

And only for the one with the 5.9 Cummins I-6 and the 68RFE.

Chrysler sould of built that!
Probably would of killed H2 and H3 sales with it!
I had the pleasure of sitting in that thing after it first came out.
It was actually on display at our "International Auto Show" some
years back.

You could always go for a "Toy"ota FJ Cruiser!:D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rebuild it...your gonna spend that much on another car for the future Jeeper, so why not on fixing the KJ that is in good shape otherwise???

Agreed. You might wait on the trans and do it later. If you're like me and you drive your cars a long time, probably worth it. If you can keep everything else in good running order-- hoses, interior appointments etc., $5000 to get another 100k+ miles is better than $20,000+ and five years of payments for a new car. Not including interest, of course.