Rebuilding a 3.7 looking for a few answers..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69moparfan

Reaction score
Well my blown head gasket 3.7 has escalated into a dropped seats and damaged pistons. The parts should be ready for reassembly next week, I was hoping someone might has some recommendations regarding:
  • Bed Plate Sealing, type of sealer and technique.
  • Head Gaskets, Copper spray or not

Any other tried and true tips for the trouble free 3.7
Here are some images..
Viewer Discretion is Advised.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nooooo need for copper spray,

I used RTV orange high temp on the bedplate.

69moparfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I was pretty sure about the head gaskets as I have used MLS in the past and I always used them dry. I saw recently online that some people still suggest the spray, I just wanted some other insight.
On the bed plate did you lay out a single bead as stated in the FSM or "coat" the mating surfaces, as it also says...Kinda contradictory.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
laid a bead then spread it with my silicon gloved hand. didn't use an excessive amount.

69moparfan

Reaction score
Also wondering about the plates or shims behind the tensioners, I see these come with all the timing kits, but when I pulled my engine apart, there wasn't a shim on either side.
This happened when the Jeep overheated and dropped a valve seat. 1 in each head, #2 and #5 both munched a seat. The heads cleaned up good, needed 1 intake valve, damage to the margins, the bores had some scoring too, .020 over solved that.
Should be assembling this week, maybe installing by the weekend. Can't wait. I've never even driven this truck.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wondering about the plates or shims behind the tensioners, I see these come with all the timing kits, but when I pulled my engine apart, there wasn't a shim on either side.
This happened when the Jeep overheated and dropped a valve seat. 1 in each head, #2 and #5 both munched a seat. The heads cleaned up good, needed 1 intake valve, damage to the margins, the bores had some scoring too, .020 over solved that.
Should be assembling this week, maybe installing by the weekend. Can't wait. I've never even driven this truck.

I've rebuilt several 3.7l's and have yet to see a shim in, on, near, or around the tensioners.

good luck with the rebuild.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also say that the method I used for the bedplate has shown no leaks in over 8000 miles of driving

doolop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt my 3.7. Per manufacture use a thin layer of sealant on the bed plate or leaking will occur. Pm me if you would like the shop manual.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

69moparfan

Reaction score
I've rebuilt several 3.7l's and have yet to see a shim in, on, near, or around the tensioners.
That's reassuring, it's funny though the FSM makes note of the plate twice:
CAUTION: Plate behind left secondary chain tensioner
could fall into oil pan. Therefore, cover pan
opening.
CAUTION: Ensure the plate between the left secondary
chain tensioner and block is correctly
installed.
I'm certain this engine has never been apart, no plate
I'll use the technique you suggest, I was planning on using Ultra Black, but I went ahead and bought a tube of the Mopar RTV as listed in the FSM, at $6.50 a tube I figured it's cheap insurance.
Thank you for your responses

Pm me if you would like the shop manual.
I appreciate that, I do have one though, I've been wading through it for days. Possibly over reading..

69moparfan

Reaction score
To any interested parties, it turns out that there was in fact a spacer behind the left tensioner, looks like it is designed to restrict or meter the oil going to the tensioner. It was stuck to the back side. Mystery solved.

Latest posts

Members online