Rear Wiper not working on my 2003 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D.Davie

Reaction score
I have just recently adopted my sisters old Liberty and front wiper and spray is fine. Rear sprays when I turn the know both ways but no wiper movement at all and sometimes I hear one click when I try to turn it on, but if I turn it off then try again no noise at all. I replaced fuse # 17, the blue 15 amp one by drivers door but do I need to check one in the power distribution center as well?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just recently adopted my sisters old Liberty and front wiper and spray is fine. Rear sprays when I turn the know both ways but no wiper movement at all and sometimes I hear one click when I try to turn it on, but if I turn it off then try again no noise at all. I replaced fuse # 17, the blue 15 amp one by drivers door but do I need to check one in the power distribution center as well?

Check Fuse # 9 (50 A) in the Power Distribution Center under the hood is not blown. If this fuse # 9 blows then you have a problem...this fuse feeds other components as well as the rear wiper. Also check fuse #22 (10 A) inside the cabin.

Put your DC meter probe across both sides of fuse # 17...you should get +12 volts with respect to ground when you activate the rear wiper. Then check for +12 volts on both sides of Fuse # 9 under the hood...this fuse feeds fuse # 17 and other components.

If the fuses do not keep blowing, check that you get +12 volts on connector pin 5 on the wiper motor..Pink/Black wire. If this voltage is not there then a connector inbetween the fuses and the motor may be bad.

If this voltage is there but the wiper does not work...check that you have ground on the black wire coming from pin 1 with respect to + 12 volts on the Red battery terminal...or your rear aux power output. This Ground must also be present on pin 3 Yellow/White on the motor.

If ground is not on the Black wire, temporary splice a ground onto this wire and connect to a clean chassis point....your ground may be missing.

If the ground is present on the Black wire and pin 1 but not on pin 3 Yellow/White wire then the Tailgate Flip Up Ajar Switch is faulty.

The Rear wiper is controlled by the Body Control Module. This BCM will not allow the rear wiper to operate unless it.....the BCM...is happy that the tailgate is properly closed, the flip-up glass is properly closed and the wiper is sitting properly in its home position. Once we are in this situation it will be time for you to download the wiring diagrams for the 2003 KJ and I can help you go through them. Worth doing all this before replacing the Rear Wiper Motor or the Multifunction Switch.:)

You can test the motor by disconnecting its connector. Then place ground on pins 1 and 3 of the motor and +12 volts...via an inline 15 Amp fuse....onto pin 5 of the motor.
Then touching +12 volts onto pin 2 or 4 on the motor should get it to move.....if not then the motor is probably blown....if it does move then connect it all back and check if you get +12 volts on pins 2 Dark Blue/Red or 4 Brown/yellow when you operate the Multifunction Switch to either Intermittant or Continue.....if voltages are not there than probably the Multifunction switch is bad or a fuse has blown.
You can strap a small pin or needle to your meter leads so as to get into the connector contacts or to pierce the insulation on the wires!

Check these items then get back to us here!

Last edited:

onrywayne

Reaction score

I found a small hairline crack in the housing just above the motor by the steal stake in the pot metal after I took everything apart you'll have to use a soldiering gun to pull the plastic board covering the gear and motor shaft "if the grease is dark brown" replace the wiper motor.
You must be registered for see images attach

grucu

Reaction score
Sprawdź, czy bezpiecznik nr 9 (50 A) w centrum dystrybucji zasilania pod maską nie jest przepalony. Jeśli przepali się bezpiecznik nr 9, oznacza to problem... bezpiecznik ten zasila inne elementy, a także tylną wycieraczkę. Sprawdź także bezpiecznik nr 22 (10 A) wewnątrz kabiny.

Umieść sondę miernika prądu stałego po obu stronach bezpiecznika nr 17...po włączeniu tylnej wycieraczki powinieneś uzyskać +12 woltów względem masy. Następnie sprawdź, czy po obu stronach bezpiecznika nr 9 pod maską jest napięcie +12 V. Ten bezpiecznik zasila bezpiecznik nr 17 i inne komponenty.

Jeżeli bezpieczniki nie przepalają się, sprawdź, czy na styku 5 złącza silnika wycieraczek dochodzi +12 V. Przewód różowy/czarny. Jeśli nie ma tego napięcia, złącze pomiędzy bezpiecznikami a silnikiem może być uszkodzone.

Jeśli to napięcie jest obecne, ale wycieraczka nie działa... sprawdź, czy masz masę na czarnym przewodzie wychodzącym z pinu 1 względem + 12 V na czerwonym zacisku akumulatora... lub na tylnym wyjściu zasilania pomocniczego. Masa ta musi być także obecna na styku 3, żółto-białym, na silniku.

Jeśli masa nie znajduje się na czarnym przewodzie, tymczasowo połącz uziemienie z tym przewodem i podłącz do czystego punktu w obudowie....może brakować uziemienia.

Jeśli masa występuje na czarnym przewodzie i styku 1, ale nie na styku 3 żółto-białym przewodzie, oznacza to, że przełącznik otwierania i uchylania klapy tylnej jest uszkodzony.

Wycieraczką tylną steruje moduł sterujący nadwozia. Ten BCM nie pozwoli na działanie tylnej wycieraczki, chyba że... BCM... nie będzie zadowolony, że tylna klapa jest prawidłowo zamknięta, podnoszona szyba jest prawidłowo zamknięta, a wycieraczka jest prawidłowo osadzona w swoim położeniu wyjściowym. Gdy już znajdziemy się w tej sytuacji, nadejdzie czas, aby pobrać schematy połączeń dla KJ z 2003 r., a ja pomogę Ci je przejrzeć. Warto to wszystko zrobić przed wymianą silniczka wycieraczki tylnej lub przełącznika wielofunkcyjnego.:)

Silnik możesz przetestować odłączając jego złącze. Następnie umieść masę na stykach 1 i 3 silnika oraz napięcie +12 V... poprzez wbudowany bezpiecznik 15 A... na styku 5 silnika.
Następnie dotknięcie +12 woltów na styku 2 lub 4 silnika powinno go ruszyć... jeśli nie, to prawdopodobnie silnik jest spalony... jeśli się poruszy, podłącz wszystko z powrotem i sprawdź, czy pojawi się + 12 woltów na stykach 2 ciemnoniebieski/czerwony lub 4 brązowy/żółty, gdy przełącznik wielofunkcyjny jest ustawiony na tryb przerywany lub kontynuacja... jeśli nie ma napięcia, prawdopodobnie przełącznik wielofunkcyjny jest uszkodzony lub przepalił się bezpiecznik.
Do przewodów miernika można przypiąć małą szpilkę lub igłę, aby dostać się do styków złącza lub przebić izolację przewodów!

Sprawdź te elementy i wróć do nas tutaj!
Prośba o podpowiedź. Wymieniłem silniczek tylnej wycieraczki. Kiedy włączam wycieraczkę, zamiast silnika słychać centralny zamek zamykający pokrywę bagażnika. Myślałem, że to zabezpieczenie przed otwartą osłoną, jednak gdy wszystko jest zamknięte jest to samo. Silnik nadal ma zasilanie, mimo że jest wyłączony ze względu na nagrzewanie się obudowy elektroniki. Na starej płytce drukowanej przepalił się jeden z elementów. Wyjąłem bezpiecznik.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prośba o podpowiedź. Wymieniłem silniczek tylnej wycieraczki. Kiedy włączam wycieraczkę, zamiast silnika słychać centralny zamek zamykający pokrywę bagażnika. Myślałem, że to zabezpieczenie przed otwartą osłoną, jednak gdy wszystko jest zamknięte jest to samo. Silnik nadal ma zasilanie, mimo że jest wyłączony ze względu na nagrzewanie się obudowy elektroniki. Na starej płytce drukowanej przepalił się jeden z elementów. Wyjąłem bezpiecznik.
Sorry, I don't speak Polish, I have used Google translation -

Request for a hint. I replaced the rear wiper motor. When I turn on the wiper, instead of the engine, I hear the central locking of the trunk lid closing. I thought it was a protection against the open cover, but when everything is closed it is the same. The motor still has power even though it is turned off due to the electronics housing heating up. One of the elements on the old printed circuit board burned out. I took out the fuse

I think the wiper has an interlock so you can't open the tailgate while it is running. The usual problem with wiper motors is rust on the spindle, mine sticks occasionally, at the moment I just spray it with oil and help it until its free again, long term I need to remove it and do a proper job.

grucu

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't speak Polish, I have used Google translation -

Request for a hint. I replaced the rear wiper motor. When I turn on the wiper, instead of the engine, I hear the central locking of the trunk lid closing. I thought it was a protection against the open cover, but when everything is closed it is the same. The motor still has power even though it is turned off due to the electronics housing heating up. One of the elements on the old printed circuit board burned out. I took out the fuse

I think the wiper has an interlock so you can't open the tailgate while it is running. The usual problem with wiper motors is rust on the spindle, mine sticks occasionally, at the moment I just spray it with oil and help it until its free again, long term I need to remove it and do a proper job.
So sorry. Chrome translator :(
Thank you so much for your help.

Back to the topic - if you agree.
I replaced the wiper motor, so there is no problem here. When the tailgate and window are closed, when the rear wiper is turned on, I can hear the door lock closing tailgate instead of the wiper motor. Maybe its the problem with tailgate window sensor?
Also the wiper motor get hot even if it is not working. The old one has overheated circuit board.