Rear windshield on 06' Liberty won't close and lock in most of the time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YungAsianGentleman

Reaction score
I apologize if this is something a man with half a brain could figure out on his own, although I only have a quarter. My 06' 3.7L V6 Liberty's rear window shuts all the way and locks in only when it wants to. I've noticed the locking mechanism is pushed back instead of being out forward, but it still functions and moves properly, sometimes. I've been able to close it only after opening and closing the tailgate many times and messing with the handle on the tailgate. Is there anybody who can offer me some insight as to what might be wrong or what I can do to fix it?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Shoot some WD-40 in there and maybe that'll loosen the mechanism up. You should be able to hear a release "click" when you pull the handle a little bit. This small handle movement actuates a small switch that opens the glass just before the door unlatches. The switch in the handle goes bad more often than the window release/latch mechanism but it wouldn't keep it from latching.

It might need adjusting. The inside plastic door panel can be removed by prying the bottom and side out until the plastic push connectors release and then lifting up very gently so the thin plastic along the top doesn't break. It might help to loosen the latching mechanism and make an adjustment but it's probably just grunged up.

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely won’t need the duct tape ;)

But a screw driver to help pry the latch open and closed as you work the mechanism while also spraying it with the WD40 may be helpful

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot some WD-40 in there and maybe that'll loosen the mechanism up. You should be able to hear a release "click" when you pull the handle a little bit. This small handle movement actuates a small switch that opens the glass just before the door unlatches. The switch in the handle goes bad more often than the window release/latch mechanism but it wouldn't keep it from latching.

It might need adjusting. The inside plastic door panel can be removed by prying the bottom and side out until the plastic push connectors release and then lifting up very gently so the thin plastic along the top doesn't break. It might help to loosen the latching mechanism and make an adjustment but it's probably just grunged up.
Exactly this + when the switch fails it doesn't pop the glass, when you open the gate it wrenches it free but the latch doesn't reset so you can't close the glass until you manually reset it or pop it from the fob and then close it.
Mine also developed a habit of randomly opening when I was driving in rain, also a switch fault.

YungAsianGentleman

Reaction score

Thanks man

YungAsianGentleman

Reaction score
Exactly this + when the switch fails it doesn't pop the glass, when you open the gate it wrenches it free but the latch doesn't reset so you can't close the glass until you manually reset it or pop it from the fob and then close it.
Mine also developed a habit of randomly opening when I was driving in rain, also a switch fault.
Thank you man

Reaction score
You definitely won’t need the duct tape ;)

But a screw driver to help pry the latch open and closed as you work the mechanism while also spraying it with the WD40 may be helpful
Wrap the screwdriver tip in duct tape to prevent scratching the paint while prying

kjhhovan

Reaction score
This little switch in the tailgate corrodes over time. You'll see green by the contacts when it's bad. I went to the junk yard and grabbed 3 of them. I'm on my second one already

Attachments

• 20240422_110314.jpg
    20240422_110314.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240422_110305.jpg
    20240422_110305.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 5

topaz

Reaction score
I apologize if this is something a man with half a brain could figure out on his own, although I only have a quarter. My 06' 3.7L V6 Liberty's rear window shuts all the way and locks in only when it wants to. I've noticed the locking mechanism is pushed back instead of being out forward, but it still functions and moves properly, sometimes. I've been able to close it only after opening and closing the tailgate many times and messing with the handle on the tailgate. Is there anybody who can offer me some insight as to what might be wrong or what I can do to fix it?
It is the micro switch in back door . Take the square plastic plate off . Once you open it .
My 2006 jeep liberty was doing same thing.
just order one off eBay only $15 . You can also watch a video on YouTube on how to change it . hope this helps you

topaz

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240422-213804.png
    Screenshot_20240422-213804.png
    331.1 KB · Views: 7

cruisingram2000

Reaction score
Mine won't stay closed, the latch is not stuck or sticky, it just won't stay closed- is this the wire thing you think?

cruisingram2000

Reaction score
Will do that today. I have to remove panel I presume? Any pics of what I am unplugging, or is it complete intuitive when I remove the panel?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You can remove the little inset panel to unplug it. The 10mm handle fastener(s) can come off working through the small panel. The wiring is annoyingly fastened by a wire tie and/or a plastic press plug wire holder.

cruisingram2000

Reaction score
Going home in a bit and going to try just this, Would that indicate a bad switch, wiring or what? I want to get it working properly again?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You can remove the small panel and disconnect the molex(?) connector for the window switch in the handle. Drive around with it disconnected and if the window stops opening then your switch is probably bad. I went into more detail than necessary in case you have to remove the handle to replace the switch.