Rear suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Hi There - recently bought a liberty ( cherokee where i come from )
2002 CRD with 24000 miles on the clock. I love it, looks and drives great both on and off road - I live high up in the Welsh mountains so get the opportunity to test it out. Just one question tho - when driving on the road I hear a very slight popping noise from rear susspension when driving over small bumps or uneven roads - can anyone help - cheers.

Last edited:

KJ79

Reaction score
Not State side exactly, but Canada eh?
This problem is likely the upper bushings of the rear shocks. I had this on my '02 Liberty. I had repalced the shocks with ProComm shocks (after market) and had the same popping or tapping noise. I went back to the place where I bought the shocks and they gave me steel bushings and of the correct length and diameter and this solved the problem entirely.

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Thanks KJ79!

Thanks for the reply and appologies for my ignorance - it's info like this from someone with previous experience that saves a lot of time and hassle - thanks again :)

05 CRD

Reaction score
I had simular issues, on mine in was the "rear ball joint"
I know I thought he was pulling my leg but there really is one, and when it goes bad it makes a popping sometimes grinding noise.

Latest posts

Members online