Rear screeching noise on my 2004 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SarahSmile

Reaction score
Last evening I noticed a terrible screeching noise coming from my back driver's side area. At first I just assumed that it had something to do with the cold water that I had just driven through, so I didn't think much more of it. This morning, the noise is still present. I noticed it immediately after beginning to move. I'm not sure if it is a brake pad issue or something else. Any ideas?

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back passenger tire of my KJ squeaks whenever I touch the brakes. I took it to my mechanic's shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and said sometimes they will just squeak. If it's cold weather and you drove through water, it could be ice being scraped off the tire when you're stopping. I would just call your mechanic and see what they think.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a brake pad/caliper hanging up. Maybe it just needs a little lube. You didn't say how many miles on your jeep or anything. I am guessing you have disc brakes as drum brakes were also used and you didn't say what you had. Someone will have to look at it.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake squeal is usually caused by dry metal-to-metal contact. This could include metal-to-metal contact between the pads and the caliper, between the caliper and slide pins, etc.

I read this one artical that said any vibration in the pads, caliper, or hardware will transmit through the rotor surface and the rotor will act as a speaker, amplifiying it.

I had this problem on my '01 Taurus after installing new pads and rotors up front. I put a thin layer of silicone brake grease on the backsides pads and it was gone. Never came back either. $.99 fix.