Rear LCA Replacement Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for. Can someone give me some advice on replacing the rear LCA's? I have Moogs to go in and will be handling today. Should I even bother lifting the Jeep? If so, axle on jack stands or frame on stands? The only reason I could think to lift the Jeep would be to remove tires just for clearance. I assume i would want the axle on jack stands so it does not try to rotate as with the UCA replacement.

Thanks in advance.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you can do it either way, I'd probably do it without jacking it up just so things don't move much. Although when I had the recall done for them the dealer put it up on the rack.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do one at a time and put the new one on before loosening the other side.

Torque with vehicle on ground with full weight to avoid preloading bushing like the dodge techs do when they did this recall a couple years ago.

Torque is somewhere around 110 ft lbs not 300 like they did to my jeep.
Deep 21 mm socket required if i recall.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can do it either way, I'd probably do it without jacking it up just so things don't move much. Although when I had the recall done for them the dealer put it up on the rack.

Do one at a time and put the new one on before loosening the other side.

Torque with vehicle on ground with full weight to avoid preloading bushing like the dodge techs do when they did this recall a couple years ago.

Torque is somewhere around 110 ft lbs not 300 like they did to my jeep.
Deep 21 mm socket required if i recall.

Beautiful. SHOULD be quick and easy then. I won't even bother taking the wheels off.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
*should*

lol

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this one works out for you :D

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
floor jack strategically placed on rear diff can alter the angles of the pinion to move the mounts closer or further away depending on what you need when mounting the new.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
floor jack strategically placed on rear diff can alter the angles of the pinion to move the mounts closer or further away depending on what you need when mounting the new.

Yep figured as much. Same as the UCA. Thank ya! :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Floor jack under the rear diff is doable, if it rotates some very easy to bring it back into specs. PLUS if only removing one side at a time, won't go far anyways, PLUS the fact that if they are bad enough you'll need to rotate it some anyways .
Not sure why you'd leave it on the ground

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Floor jack under the rear diff is doable, if it rotates some very easy to bring it back into specs. PLUS if only removing one side at a time, won't go far anyways, PLUS the fact that if they are bad enough you'll need to rotate it some anyways .
Not sure why you'd leave it on the ground

Just to get the bolts off. Adjust with the floor jack under the pumkin when reinstalling is what I figured.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an FYI I just finished. I had to dismount the lower mount on the shocks due to the rear LCA bolts pulling out towards the outside of the Jeep on both sides. The shocks would have been in the way. I also had to move my exhaust a bit because the front bolts pulled out towards the inside of the Jeep. The exhaust was in the way for the right side bolt. This might not be the case with everyone as I do not have a stock muffler. I have since flipped all of the bolts around so I can now change LCAs without removing/moving a single thing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As an FYI I just finished. I had to dismount the lower mount on the shocks due to the rear LCA bolts pulling out towards the outside of the Jeep on both sides. The shocks would have been in the way. I also had to move my exhaust a bit because the front bolts pulled out towards the inside of the Jeep. The exhaust was in the way for the right side bolt. This might not be the case with everyone as I do not have a stock muffler. I have since flipped all of the bolts around so I can now change LCAs without removing/moving a single thing.

Yes have to do them all that way ( remove shocks and right side front bolt ) I usually just cut the front bolt off and install a new one in the other way. Much faster and since my time is worth 20 bucks a minute a new bolt is cheap comparably :gr_grin: