Rear Fender Clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just went wheeling for the first time since my lift and bigger tires last night. In certain situations, I have A LOT of contact from the rear tires. Just wondering where those contact points typically are, and what people do about it. Id love to be able to move the rear wheels back some so they are centered in the fender once again, but I am sure thats way easier said than done.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So just went wheeling for the first time since my lift and bigger tires last night. In certain situations, I have A LOT of contact from the rear tires. Just wondering where those contact points typically are, and what people do about it. Id love to be able to move the rear wheels back some so they are centered in the fender once again, but I am sure thats way easier said than done.

They do center unless your LCA bushings are bad
Been discussed many times over the years as the wheel / tire combo compresses up in swings in an arc . My 265-75-16s go up in the wheelwell centered no issues at all.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many think the rear axle is centered in the wheel well but it's not and due to upper tri-link it actually does not move upwards in a clean arc.Not much you can do with the stock setup unless you get the true 4 link setup from JBA.

I had moved my rear axle a full 1.75" rearwards to get my rear tires to "stuff" 35" tires perfectly center in the rear wheel wells.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Testing to see how much bumpstop I was going to run
You must be registered for see images attach

265-75-16s on 8 inch wide Moabs with 5 inches of backspacing

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

How much bumpstop are you running?
Size of wheels ( width and backspacing
Tire size

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
how much lift is on the front of the kj in this photo?

If I remember correctly when that was taken it was only about 4 inches
Not real sure since I was always changing it around
Should of been my modified Frankenlift at that time I believe

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly when that was taken it was only about 4 inches
Not real sure since I was always changing it around
Should of been my modified Frankenlift at that time I believe

Ok cool thanks. I was just curious as visually that is the perfect height for these rigs for my eyes. Wish I could just get mine to sit at 3.25

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok cool thanks. I was just curious as visually that is the perfect height for these rigs for my eyes. Wish I could just get mine to sit at 3.25

Visually yes, to get them to work good, more work and frustration. Had serious issues with coil spring/ UCA contact at that height, ( before going JBA coilovers, only way to go ) and then of course CV angles get ya

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Visually yes, to get them to work good, more work and frustration. Had serious issues with coil spring/ UCA contact at that height, ( before going JBA coilovers, only way to go ) and then of course CV angles get ya

Yea for the money and the headaches the extra .5" really isn't worth it. But with the troubles I've had with mine now in hindsight I wish I had just bought the coil overs in the first place. Could have just turned it up to the max of the cv's and then down the road if I wanted that extra height I could have swapped out the CVS and turned it up some more

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea for the money and the headaches the extra .5" really isn't worth it. But with the troubles I've had with mine now in hindsight I wish I had just bought the coil overs in the first place. Could have just turned it up to the max of the cv's and then down the road if I wanted that extra height I could have swapped out the CVS and turned it up some more

PLUS the ride, handling and flex are way better
Some thought I would lift the 03 up in the 4 inch range, but 2.5 is good enough for me and less headaches, plus with all 4 shocks being adjustable , ride is great

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two hockey pucks per side.

16x8's with 5 in spacing.

Should be like mine then. I have ran 2.5 hockey pucks per side on the 04 just to give a bit more . Also did slight trim to the plastics that stuck over the metal on the inside of the flare

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is why I think my axle is more forward, but after looking at lots of pics of others they seem to be pretty close.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Here is why I think my axle is more forward, but after looking at lots of pics of others they seem to be pretty close.

When you lift them that is what they look like
BUT if you look at my pictures above you can see how they tuck up in nicely
Nothing to worry about really
All the same
PLUS if you move it back to centered when sitting flat in the driveway then they will rub like everything when stuffed
Kick the OCD to the curb:happy175::happy175:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is another of mine from the side
as you can see the tire is closer to the body / flare in front

BUT stuffed its fine, almost same front and rear