Rear End Noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a high pitched whine coming from the rear of my Liberty then traveling at a steady speed. It goes away whenever I speed up or slow down. I had a similar issue with my Crossfire. The noise was from the differential, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer.

Has there been a similar issue with the Liberty? Does anyone know what this TSB covers?

ake: JEEP
Model: LIBERTY 4X4
Year: 2006

Service Bulletin Number: 05032
NHTSA Item Number: 10017649
Summary Description:
REAR AXLE SHAFT BEARING SOUND. *TT

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Sister in-law had a high pitch bird noise coming from her 2003 s-10 pick up and it ended up being the u-joint in the front of the differential. Some of the teeth were rusted. We took it out and replaced it. Next thing you know the rear did the same thing.

You must be registered for see images

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whine when you let off the gas at a certain speed is normal. A guy ask me why I thought it was normal in that thread, every jeep ive ever been in does it..

Im not sure if you are hearing the same whine or not though. Huseyin knows what whine im talking about..

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whine when you let off the gas at a certain speed is normal. A guy ask me why I thought it was normal in that thread, we have 4 jeeps that do it.

Im not sure if you are hearing the same whine or not though. Huseyin knows what whine im talking about..
I don't know if we're talking about the same noise, but what I hear is not normal. The best I can describe it is that it sounds something like the humming sound you get from snow tires. My TJ has 31" BFG M/T's that make a noise, but it's not the same as I'm hearing in the Liberty. The noise I hearr in the TJ is constant tire noise and does not change when I let off the gas.

I'm thinking along the lines that the gears in the differential aren't right as was the case with my Crossfire.

Does anyone know what this TSB is all about?

Summary Description:

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to make light of your concern, all I can hear at that speed is my MTR's! ...but seriously, brake drag, final drive (Chryslers have always had a howl or whine from the diff area), U-joints. My vote is the final drive (diff). Chrysler has always had a whiny diff at speed. Hope you get it sorted out.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whine is only there at a certain speed not all the time when you let go of the gas. It is actually there only at that certain speed w/certain rpm. If the combination doesn't match it is not there.
MY guess is that it is the indication that you are riding the optimum speed and RPM combination that your jeep burns the least amount of gas.. That's just my guess. It always happens on the same turn on the highway when I am coasting and need to give a little gas. :) The jeep is screaming for more gas, it can go, but that is its way of telling you "please accelerate, need more gas, need more $3.50/gal juice"

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if we're talking about the same noise, but what I hear is not normal. The best I can describe it is that it sounds something like the humming sound you get from snow tires. My TJ has 31" BFG M/T's that make a noise, but it's not the same as I'm hearing in the Liberty. The noise I hearr in the TJ is constant tire noise and does not change when I let off the gas.

I'm thinking along the lines that the gears in the differential aren't right as was the case with my Crossfire.

Does anyone know what this TSB is all about?

Summary Description:
That TSB would probally be about defective axle shaft bearings that got put into some KJ's.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY guess is that it is the indication that you are riding the optimum speed and RPM combination that your jeep burns the least amount of gas.. That's just my guess. It always happens on the same turn on the highway when I am coasting and need to give a little gas. :) The jeep is screaming for more gas, it can go, but that is its way of telling you "please accelerate, need more gas, need more $3.50/gal juice"
What??? An automobile that tells you it needs more gas by making strange noises from the rear end? That's a new one on me.

Anyway, you got it backwards. The noise volume increases the faster the vehicle is traveling. When I let off the gas, or give it gas the sound goes away. At cruise the noise returns.... the same symtoms I had in the Crossfire before they replaced the rear end.

I guess it's not all that common of a problem since nobody here seems to be having the same issue, or know too much about it. Even the L.O.S.T. thread doesn't give the outcome. I'll have to schedule the Liberty for a service appointment and go from there....

That TSB would probally be about defective axle shaft bearings that got put into some KJ's.

Hmmm... I wonder if that would have anything to do with the noise I'm hearing? What was wrong with the axle shaft bearings on some Liberty's that they had to be replaced? What were the symptoms?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB are put out after the dealers(techs) run into the same problem with multiple vehicles(same year,make,and model) so as to give other techs a better(faster) way of diagnosing a problem and the fix.It seems that some '06 KJ's have some bad axle bearings,just because nobody on here or L.O.S.T. does not have the same problem doesn't mean that the other 180,000 some '06 KJ's don't.A TSB doen't mean that all '06's will have that problem but it's common enough that they issue a TSB to tech's to save some time and money.I worked at a dealer and checking the TSB's was the first thing I did,saved alot of time in some cases.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB are put out after the dealers(techs) run into the same problem with multiple vehicles(same year,make,and model) so as to give other techs a better(faster) way of diagnosing a problem and the fix.

It seems that some '06 KJ's have some bad axle bearings, just because nobody on here or L.O.S.T. does not have the same problem doesn't mean that the other 180,000 some '06 KJ's don't.

A TSB doen't mean that all '06's will have that problem but it's common enough that they issue a TSB to tech's to save some time and money.

I worked at a dealer and checking the TSB's was the first thing I did, saved alot of time in some cases.

Thanks for your post and you are correct, but I wasn't asking for the definition of what a TSB is or how it works, I know what they are and why they are issued. I also know that because a TSB is issued, all vehicles do not have the problem.

The question I asked was, "what the rear axle TSB covered and what were the symptoms"? Alldata list's TSB's, but does not go into any details and that was what I was trying to find out....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise you are describing sounds exactly like the noise Ive always heard AZKJ.. If you are coasting and barely give it some gas, you can usually hear it fairly good.

haha, and I believe hyedipin was just kidding around..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post and you are correct, but I wasn't asking for the definition of what a TSB is or how it works, I know what they are and why they are issued. I also know that because a TSB is issued, all vehicles do not have the problem.

The question I asked was, "what the rear axle TSB covered and what were the symptoms"? Alldata list's TSB's, but does not go into any details and that was what I was trying to find out....
As for what the whole TSB states I couldn't tell you,you need to go to a dealer for that info(if they will even give it to you) since they acess it over the net from Chysler directly and/or call the tech support and have it faxed.They also should have a hard copy book with all the TSB's,should,they may have done away with that over the last couple of years.Since you have a '06 just take it in and let the warrenty take care of it.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise you are describing sounds exactly like the noise Ive always heard AZKJ.. If you are coasting and barely give it some gas, you can usually hear it fairly good.

haha, and I believe hyedipin was just kidding around..
Yep, you described the sound perfectly, so what is it, the axle, rear differental or what? I know it's not normal, or all KJ's would make the same noise.

Here we go OT which seems to happen alot around here, but I guess that's the nature within some boards....

I didn't mean to come off on anyone or sound like I was for their input to this thread. I have a habit of playing when it's time to play and to be serious when the situation calls for it. That means reading what's written, as it's written and not trying to figure out if someone is kidding around. That's the problem with forums, you can't see body language or facial expressions of the people who are responding. And that's how arguments start.

Maybe save the joking around for the "just for fun threads". If someone has a meaningful input or idea to a serious issue at hand go for it, otherwise save the kidding around for some other place.

Now, back to the reason for this thread, Rear End Noise....

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for what the whole TSB states I couldn't tell you,you need to go to a dealer for that info(if they will even give it to you) since they acess it over the net from Chysler directly and/or call the tech support and have it faxed.They also should have a hard copy book with all the TSB's,should,they may have done away with that over the last couple of years.Since you have a '06 just take it in and let the warrenty take care of it.
Thanks for the input and suggestion.

I called two different dealerships this morning that I use just to keep everyone honest and asked them the same questions. I'm waiting for their reply before deciding which one to take the Liberty to.

Being informed before taking a vehicle in for warranty work is why I asked the original questions here. It saves a lot of bullsh*t from the dealership if you go in knowing something about the issue at hand. I pity women who get the run around the most....

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I made an appointment for today and took the Liberty in for the rear end noise that I've been talking about in this thread. The mechanic took it for a 10 minute test drive, opened the rear differental, confirmed it was a bad rear end and replaced all the guts.

Moral of the story, if something don't look, feel or sound right, do your reasearch and take it in and have them fix it.

All is good again... :)

Copy of the work order...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it got fixed,just remember to break those new gears in right.Drive until the rear diff is fully warmed up and then let totally cool off before driving again,repeat for 500 miles(no towing) and change gear lube and then you'll be fine.It's called heat cycling the gears to get the wear pattern down and to "harden" the gears.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Man, lucky you! That would have been a pricey repair had it been out of warranty!

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pinion gears

I know this is an old thread but my 02 started making noises about 3 months ago and thought AHHH Heck here we go so as of Sat. after long debate i decided that it wasn't going to fix itself just changing the fluids. :( I took it to a shop and he told me Pinion gears and most likley bearings and all the other good stuff in the rear diff. So no warrenty low on cash i will be paying a mechanic to fix the stuff. There goes the lift again, :shrug: always something.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same whine in my 06 KJ with 37K miles, but I've had that whine for any speed above ~58 MPH since I can remember. Now I'm wondering if it's just a normal noise or something is wrong. Nothing seems wrong with it...guess I'll take care of it before my extended warranty expires.