Rear end knock after Ironman lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 with the standard length IronMan shocks and have had no "knocking" or noise issues whatsoever (have 6,000+ miles on them now). I'm somewhat surprised to hear that several people suddenly experienced this issue.

I read posts like this before buying and I was even more surprised when I got the knocking. Reinstalled OEM shocks now. Really can't stand when something sounds lose.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jba no longer has any ironman products listed....so i guess thats one way to solve the problem

Ranger1

Reaction score
Another one

Make that 4 cases. Rear Ironman shocks knocking badly. Same exact problem as described in this thread, knocking sounds on slight road imperfections. All new UCA and LCA's. Retorqued to spec several times, still knocked badly. Knocking sound became progressively worse as time went by, at times difficult to hold conversation over the noise.

Put old shocks back on using same OE bolts, same torque settings and the knock disappeared. Silent back there now on any road surface.

Well it looks like we have three confirmed cases of Ironman rear shocks knocking. So it looks like Ironman did poor job with designing and/or building KJ shocks. I really wish I'd seen a thread like this before buying.

I guess the thread should be made sticky. Hopefully this will protect other buyers from making the same mistake.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally tested the whole Ironman kit when it first came out, no issues, also have installed a few full lifts with the extended rear shocks, no issues with noises.
So either a bad batch OR some how got the stock length or ??

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's gotta be a pretty huge batch. I bought mine in Europe and it looks like the rest of the cases are in the US.

Ranger1

Reaction score
Appears to be a bad batch of shocks. A friend with the same model Jeep installed the same setup last year that I just did - Ironman springs, shocks and he has no noise at all. Both of us replaced the front UCA and rear UCA/LCAs at the same time. Neither of us had any problem with alignment.

Ride and handling is great, the noise in the rear shocks was the only issue. Rear was standard height, no extra isolators. Measures 21" rear, 20" front with a single 1/4" JBA clevis ring per side in front springs. Alignment done right after I installed the lift.

Last edited: