Rear end experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 03 Liberty 3.8. I bought used axles from what I assumed was a 4 cly gas with 4.10 gears. I also installed Truetrac diffs front and rear. The front has been fine but I keep having issues with the rear. It destroyed the diver side carrier bearing after about a year of use. New new one has been in for about 5 months and is making noise again. I'm now wondering if my used axle came out of a CRD? I noticed on the Eaton application chart that the diff I have will not work with a CRD. Did the CRD have a Chrysler 8.25 rear end and did they come with 4.10 gears? If they did what is different about that rear end vs the gas? As in how would I id the rear end as one from a CRD. I still have my old axle that I could swap everything over to if I have to.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRD came with Chrysler 8.25, and stock gears were 3.73 - certainly on the export models. The front was 3.73 as well.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 03 Liberty 3.8. I bought used axles from what I assumed was a 4 cly gas with 4.10 gears. I also installed Truetrac diffs front and rear. The front has been fine but I keep having issues with the rear. It destroyed the diver side carrier bearing after about a year of use. New new one has been in for about 5 months and is making noise again. I'm now wondering if my used axle came out of a CRD? I noticed on the Eaton application chart that the diff I have will not work with a CRD. Did the CRD have a Chrysler 8.25 rear end and did they come with 4.10 gears? If they did what is different about that rear end vs the gas? As in how would I id the rear end as one from a CRD. I still have my old axle that I could swap everything over to if I have to.

Besides some unlucky '02 owners all KJ's rear diffs are 8.25's(some '02's had D35's).From '02-'05 there is zero difference and the only thing different for '06/'07's is the lack of a tone ring between the ring gear and carrier since they went to a 4 channel ABS system placing the tone rings on the axle ends.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides some unlucky '02 owners all KJ's rear diffs are 8.25's(some '02's had D35's).From '02-'05 there is zero difference and the only thing different for '06/'07's is the lack of a tone ring between the ring gear and carrier since they went to a 4 channel ABS system placing the tone rings on the axle ends.

Ok so I just need to figure out what is going on with my diff/rear axle. The only issue I ran into with the diff going in was the factory ring gear bolts had shoulders that were to big to go thru the mount holes in the Truetrac. We drilled out the diff to accept them.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have pics of what you actually drilled? Sounds like improper gear setup to me, did you do the work yourself?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just need to figure out what is going on with my diff/rear axle. The only issue I ran into with the diff going in was the factory ring gear bolts had shoulders that were to big to go thru the mount holes in the Truetrac. We drilled out the diff to accept them.

That sounds like the 10mm bolts from '05-newer... which are a tad larger than the 3/8" bolts used prior.

The same diff was used in many Dodge V8 trucks, so I can't see the CRD being too much power for it. Having done a full re-bearing job on our KJ's 8.25", I think the trick is setting the backlash adjusters properly. You can make a tool, or buy one - I made mine. Basically a rod with a big nut welded on each end. Its the only way to torque the adjusters properly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the 10mm bolts from '05-newer... which are a tad larger than the 3/8" bolts used prior.

The same diff was used in many Dodge V8 trucks, so I can't see the CRD being too much power for it. Having done a full re-bearing job on our KJ's 8.25", I think the trick is setting the backlash adjusters properly. You can make a tool, or buy one - I made mine. Basically a rod with a big nut welded on each end. Its the only way to torque the adjusters properly.

The 8.25 has the same general strength rating as a D44,only rated slightly lower due to being a C-clip axle.