Rear Door Speaker Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at removing the 6" door speakers. My Jeep has the powered speakers where the little amp is on the speaker. I am curious if anyone has put larger speakers in the rear doors.. I am thinking if I upped to like an 8" speaker I would get better bass response.
I just replaced my front door speakers since they were buzzing a bit.. I got the Kicker "official replacement" after I tore the door apart I realize that the kicker speakers didnt have the amp on them so I soldered the connection to the speaker leads and zip tied the amp to the magnet. They sound pretty good. But I am thinking some preventative maintenance. If I can add a little more capability to the rear door speakers maybe that will be enough.
I am looking at the JL audio Liberty box from Crutchfield and using an old school PPI 2075M amp I have laying around to drive it with a X-over but not really keen in robbing space in the back for the woof box.. So looking at something I can do to get more low end. I know the metal of the door may need some messaging. But if I put them in the door I will leave them.. Just checking if anyone has done anything like that?

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am wanting to know.. Has anyone put a larger speaker in the door other than 6.5 or 6.75? I really would like to put a 8" Infinity woofer and put a 3" speaker up in the C piller between the rear door and cargo glass above the seatbealt..
Thoughts?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't know anyone that has but my thought is that you would need to do at least 3 things:

1) Cut the hole bigger to accept the 8" speaker.

2) Make sure you get a SHALLOW speaker otherwise it won't fit depth wise.

3) Re-wire the wires in order to put out a woofer signal and a tweeter signal as opposed to a coaxial signal.

Anything's possible with enough tools and $$$.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the speaker required opening is close to size. if a 6.75 will fit. and an 8" Infinity woofer requires like a 7.5 inch hole... I am sure the woofer is a bit deaper but you can stand it out a bit..
And to use the facotry speaker amp in the door you can put Capacitors on the woofer to block the highs and you can put Diodes on the tweeters to act as a passive crossover. That is kinda how Coax or Triax speakers work.

But FYI, I already have plans to utilize a late 80's era Precision Power 2075M and use an active crossover to dial in frequency range on the woofer part and Cap off the Tweeter using the factory speaker amp to cut off the base end.

My whole question.. was/is.. Has anyone been there done that? Just thinking there may be conflict with the window and or plastic door panel..

Latest posts

Members online