Rear Disc. Coversion Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has Anyone Ever Seen Or Heard Of A Rear Disc. Coversion Kit? I Hate Drum Brakes!! I Think That Is Only Thing I Dont Like On My Kj.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just find a wrecked 03+libby. All you need is the backing plate which also has the ebrake on it, caliper, and rotor. You would probably need to change out the proportioning valve also but I dont really know where thats at the liberty.

Im not sure how the ebrake cable would hook up either. Idk if the drum and disc are the same or what.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kits,need to piece together all the parts----

-disc brake backing plates(has the p.brake on it already)
-rear discs(L/R)
-rear caliphers(L/R)
-rear brakes lines,hard and soft lines
-brackets for the rear brake lines
-parking brake cables(they are different for the discs)

****OPTIONAL(but recommended)****
-new proportioning valve made for 4 wheel discs(the master cylinder is the same)

Just remove the rear diff cover,push in axles and remove the "C" clips,pull axles out.Unbolt the drum backing plates,bolt on the disc backing plates,swap brake lines(and prop. valve),replace p.brake cables.Put axles and "C" clips back in,put diff cover on(and refill) and bleed system.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, what about just grabbing a rear axle from an '03+ and swapping that in? Wouldn't that be easier in the long run, or do you run into other problems? I know you'd have to make sure the gearing is the same and I don't now how much more it would cost to buy the whole axle assembly, but other than that I would think it would be an easy swap.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Um, what about just grabbing a rear axle from an '03+ and swapping that in? Wouldn't that be easier in the long run, or do you run into other problems? I know you'd have to make sure the gearing is the same and I don't now how much more it would cost to buy the whole axle assembly, but other than that I would think it would be an easy swap.
my only worry about this would be the state the axle in a wrecked KJ would be.

Compared to just adding components to a "good" KJ

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see the point unless you add a complete ABS unit as well. My drums do their job just fine. And the E brake is soooo much better..

I agree with the E-brake on the 4 wheel disc system not very efficient...the E-brake system on the drum system has to be better...

Maybe you could add stainless steel braided flex lines to improve brake performance (if that's what your looking for...)...check the following thread I started:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34509

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was going to be next approach i need to crawl under and see what rear axle i have that might make my decision for me.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj said the same thing as me but he used '***', those. :D Haha, just kidding.

You could swap out the axles. Its not a real hard thing to do but you dont know if the oil has been changed in the diff, has it had water in it, etc.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the drums on the KJ is better. Many people on here complained about the calipers getting suck on the rotors. Plus, drums/shoes last longer than rotors/pads. IMO, I don't think it's worth it.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the drums on the KJ is better. Many people on here complained about the calipers getting suck on the rotors. Plus, drums/shoes last longer than rotors/pads. IMO, I don't think it's worth it.

I agree. I have the drums on my 02 and have had no issues with brakes. I can lock them up and skid so I have to be careful when its wet, no ABS.

Other than that, no complaints.

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Personally Don't Care For Abs. I Guess I Just Used To The Braking On My Lexus. So Its A Huge Difference.

Members online

No members online now.