Rear Diff - Draining Plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwyatt

Reaction score
front diff cover

is the stock front axel differential cover serviced same as the rear one? No drain plug? Does the Rock Lizard cover fit the front also? I am nearing the time to change the fluid on my 2006 Liberty, but the factory service manual seems to imply that there are drain plugs for both the front and rear. I am also planning on getting the lubelocker gaskets and I need to know how many I need to get. I take it that the fill level, as typical, is to the bottom of the fill hole for both the front and back.
Thanks for the info.

broncsrule

Reaction score
The front stock cover has drain and fill plugs. And no this cover only fits the rear corp 8.25. The front is a Dana 30a.(very easy to change fluids)

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this this weekend....it would not be that hard to buy a new OE rear diff cover and weld on a bung for a drain plug. This (depending on price for new cover) could be a much cheaper option than the Rock Lizard rear cover assuming you do not need the added protection.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Rock Lizard cover.

IMHO, I can't imagine why someone WOULDN'T buy one.

Just over $100 for an indestructible cover that offers both drain and fill holes. You can't beat it.

N / A

Reaction score
broncsrule said:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/jeep_liberty.htm

I've ordered this one. waiting on ship date.

I have this one, it's pretty bad ass

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to try a lubelocker gasket for the rear diff. I got one and they are great!

I just ordered mine Friday night.......all I have to do is round up fluid and limited slip additive and I'll be ready to change the rear fluid for the 1st time at 40k miles.

Greg

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a gasket from randys ring+pinion and its been working out great. It was just the regular paper gasket but I think I paid around $2 per gasket. Not bad at all.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the KJ got 40.000Km (~25.000mi) I did the differential fluid change. The front fluid was OK (perhaps the fluid was Syntethic 75W140?) but the rear one OMG! :eek: It was such a mess! The fluid was, idk how to say it properly... lets say metalized (the oil had a silverish tone)...

I follow the HOW TO posted here and when I sprayed the brake cleaner I saw tiny little metal particles in the bottom of the housing.... I use the entire can...

Personally, I wouldn't get a cover with drain plug b/c I'm sure that I want remove the cover for spraying, clean and remove the metal particles again.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front and rear covers have/had screw in fill plugs on my TJ
dana 30/44 combo
the dana 35 found on the rear of MANY TJ's and YJ's has the same plug as the 8.25

I bent the cover on my 44 so I just got a random HD cover with a fill plug
I would not fix it if it aint broke
that is if you keep getting water in your diff or the plug just falls off one day then I would just leave well enough alone

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that rocklizard doesn't carry the diff with the drain plug anymore. Any reasons why? Or did I miss a thread explaining that?

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to contact Marty (Rock Lizard Fabs owner)
The one I bought (on the photo way up on top) was made by a diffrent vendor which had issues and he no longer deals with them. FYI: The new ones he sells now do not have a drain plug.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Takes what 3 minutes to pull the cover whats the big deal? That way you can look inside to see what it looks like, clean it out good and make sure there is no problems, I hate it that I can not do the same for the front. I would never have one with a drain plug , thats for lazy people:eek::D:D:D:D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takes what 3 minutes to pull the cover whats the big deal? That way you can look inside to see what it looks like, clean it out good and make sure there is no problems, I hate it that I can not do the same for the front. I would never have one with a drain plug , thats for lazy people:eek::D:D:D:D

I'm lazy. sad2.gif

I agree that every so often one should look inside the diff to make sure there's no damage, get a full, 100% drain etc., but if you just want to do a quick change of your diff oil, if you have a drain plug, you avoid all the torque issues, sealing, gaskets etc., then three days of paranoia about leaks due to failure to seal properly etc.