Rear Diff - Draining Plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I was looking for the drain plug on the Rear-Diff (8.25), I was going to change the fluid. And at the same time, put on some axle-armor.
But, I can't find the drain plug or a fill plug. I understand if you remove the cover to possibly drain it, but how do you replace the fluid.
Little help guys?

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no drain plug, you must remove/reinstall it (with RTV as the gasket). There is a plastic cap that just pushes/pulls on/off on the rear (if your looking at it from the back its in the upper right quadrent (sp?)).

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could get a cheap hand pump from Harbor freight and suck most of the stuff out. You will need a hand pump anyways to fill it back up.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Strange there isn't a threaded drain plug. Wonder if there's a replacement cover out there?

MNMiata

Reaction score
Threaded drain plug....

I have wondered the same thing about a threaded drain plug. Looked around and couldn't find anything like it. Maybe there's something out there... I just didn't find it.

The best I could come up with for why was that I imagine it is NOT a good idea for a 4X4 that is likely to see any off-road or rock crawler action to have a threaded plug that could be damaged, bent or broken off. The design of the rear end would require the plug to be so far down as to make it very venerable. So I am guessing that traditionally the rear differentials on 4x4s have had diff covers with no drain plugs.

With fewer and fewer 4x4s actually seeing that kind of punishing usage, it would seem that someone would make a nice cover with threaded drain and fill plugs for use by owners whose off-road excursions are not likely to externally abuse the rear differential. Just my 2¢.

(And all this is coming from someone who just came in from the garage after changing the rear differential oil. What a crude, archaic mess! Somehow it just seems wrong to put modern expensive synthetic gear lube in a differential that has to be cracked open like an egg to drain, and then is re-sealed with sloppy RTV silicone! I purchased a lube-locker gasket but during a senior moment I ordered the wrong one... so the rear differential in our '02 Libby is still sealed up the old-fashioned way. Thanks for letting me rant. :eek:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
I was just about to say the XJ's 8.25's have a drain plug on the back (as seen in pic above)

ogfalcon

Reaction score
Actually, they don't have a drain plug; just a fill plug. The easiest way to drain these types of diffs is to remove the lower-most bolt completely, and just loosen the rest of the bolts. Get a flat screwdriver between the cover and diff (where you removed the bolt) and pry the cover away from the diff just a bit. "Most" of the gear lube "should" drain predominatly from where you removed the bolt.

To seal up the cover after draining it, you have a couple of options. 1. You can buy a paper (cardboard) gasket from Jeep or a local auto parts store and use a little rtv sealant to hold it in place while you line up the cover and get the bolts started; 2. you can use rtv sealant only. Personally, I prefer the gasket and rtv, but either way will work. If you do decide to use only rtv, the best stuff out there is called "Honda Bond" and despite the name, is sold at your local GM dealership. It's grey in color and is not cheap (about 10-15 bucks a tube). GM uses this stuff in place of gaskets altogether on a lot of applications. Most dudes who work in the parts departments will have no idea what you're talking about, but if you talk to one of the shop techs, they'll know what Honda Bond is. If they don't just describe it as grey rtv-type stuff that costs a ***** load!!

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
broncsrule said:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/jeep_liberty.htm

I've ordered this one. waiting on ship date.

That thing looks brutal! Wow1.gif

You must post a thread when it arrives with pictures and then an installation report...

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broncsrule, do you have a gas tank skid? If so let us also know how much room you have after the install between the two.

ogfalcon

Reaction score
Trodo,
I talked to Martin Verburgt, the owner of Rock Lizard Fabrications about the very same thing, and here is what he said: "The diff does clear the factory gas tank skid. In fact it is only about 1/4" taller than the factory cover, and there is enough room for a dual exhaust setup, as shown on my guinea pig KJ with a Borla Dual Exhaust system."

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/100_3492.jpg
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/100_3502.jpg
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/100_3493.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I thought that was a different rig in the shot, because of the exhaust pipe. Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll order one for myself.

cowpie1

Reaction score
For those that are not getting a new diff cover, you might want to try a lubelocker gasket for the rear diff. I got one and they are great! It is listed on their site as a Chrysler 8.25. No RTV required and makes for easy fluid changes. Forget the RTV!!!!! Even if you were to get a new diff cover, I would go with the gasket.

www.lubelocker.com

Of course if you like messing with applying RTV, letting it set up, and then scraping it off each time you change fluids, be my guest. I have better things to do with my time. \:D/

ogfalcon

Reaction score
cowpie1 said:
For those that are not getting a new diff cover, you might want to try a lubelocker gasket for the rear diff. I got one and they are great! It is listed on their site as a Chrysler 8.25. No RTV required and makes for easy fluid changes. Forget the RTV!!!!! Even if you were to get a new diff cover, I would go with the gasket.

www.lubelocker.com

Of course if you like messing with applying RTV, letting it set up, and then scraping it off each time you change fluids, be my guest. I have better things to do with my time. \:D/

Sweet gasket; I ordered a couple, too. Thanks!!