rear cargo shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me rephrase my question.
Any ideas on a way to mount to the rear seat bracket with something that can be quickly removed?

a rated carabiner?

didn't someone use this? most of the images are gone.

You must be registered for see images attach
I drilled two holes and put a zip tie through the wood onto the bracket. Easy to remove and very stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like this idea...much better than the L brackets I have now that simply slip over the rear seat bracket. let me know if it work's out for you. i'm going to change it up in the near future but need something semi-permanent and easily/quickly removable as you said.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like this idea...much better than the L brackets I have now that simply slip over the rear seat bracket. let me know if it work's out for you. i'm going to change it up in the near future but need something semi-permanent and easily/quickly removable as you said.

Yeah..... this is going to be far down the line project for me.

bajasoobnut

Reaction score
I still have yet to get going on mine, finances are a lil tight but would cost me about 75 in materials and a six pack for labor to punch and bend the sheet metal then Tig weld it all together, I was planning something similar the gate latch and is a hook that hooks into those brackets in a way that you just slide the back part into the slots and it would be secure.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the link to downtown's profile page. you'll see the albums there.
Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country - View Profile: Downtown

downtown-albums-fourm-pics-picture3275-img-20120603-00298.jpg

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got tired of having this:

this is much better:

with a motion activated light:

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of mounting a rear shelf on a spare power seat track I have lying around. I could then drill out an area for the controls somewhere in the trunk. Still trying to flesh this out but any ideas?

Trying to determine if it would have any benefit or if I am just insane

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of mounting a rear shelf on a spare power seat track I have lying around. I could then drill out an area for the controls somewhere in the trunk. Still trying to flesh this out but any ideas?

Trying to determine if it would have any benefit or if I am just insane

To do what? It could go backwards and forwards... forwards is the rear seats, backwards is the swing gate ... how do you imagine this working and to what end?

Having it able to swing UP would be more useful.. so you dont have to duck under the shelf to get things in and out.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do what? It could go backwards and forwards... forwards is the rear seats, backwards is the swing gate ... how do you imagine this working and to what end?

Having it able to swing UP would be more useful.. so you dont have to duck under the shelf to get things in and out.

I was thinking I could use it as either an incredibly over engineered slide out camping table to use with the swing gate open or I would mount it to the rear seat so it can travel up and down. Maybe weld some bars to the frame of the power seat and then mount the shelf onto the bars.

This is more like one of those I "could"do things not really a "should" do thing. Maybe after like 8 beers I will have a vision of how this could serve a practical purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking I could use it as either an incredibly over engineered slide out camping table to use with the swing gate open or I would mount it to the rear seat so it can travel up and down. Maybe weld some bars to the frame of the power seat and then mount the shelf onto the bars.

This is more like one of those I "could"do things not really a "should" do thing. Maybe after like 8 beers I will have a vision of how this could serve a practical purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without making the shelf a three piece design, and only sliding out the middle piece, not sure how this would work as a slide out the back. Firstly, remember the notches we cut into the front corners of the plywood shelves... the shelf is wider then the D pillars of the Jeep... so it physically cannot move backwards.

If you Cut and slide out only the middle section so that it cleared the D pillars, it'd be about 6" narrower.. and less useful.

Additionally, the entire shelf is only about 23" deep.. you'd essentially have a table that is 23" by perhaps 30"... and it won't be able to slide out very far, the way things would have to be mounted, it'd only extend the same length as the power seat tracks allow, which is what? About 8-10" at most?

For out back, I think a table that folded flat onto the swing gate itself is a better idea.

spr0k3t

Reaction score
I know this is bumping a bit of an old thread... but I finally did this today (keep in mind I've only had possession of the jeep maybe three days at most). The dimensions were good and I was able to mount mine in using 3/4" dowel. I went with 3/4" birch plywood, should be strong enough for a while. I'm waiting on carpet and 12V motion lights to finish the project. I'll grab a picture or two to add to my post when it's light out, and on the weekend. I just got the jeep and it's not licensed yet. Still a few things to fix before it's ready for a daily driver.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love my rear cargo shelf...one of the most used, practical upgrades I've made to my KJ [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love my rear cargo shelf...one of the most used, practical upgrades I've made to my KJ [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yep! I still have yet to carpet mine, got a roll of heavy duty high-traffic stuff sitting there waiting for me to get off my ass...