rear bumper fading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first post, but I have always had a hard time with plastic trim going chalky and fading on me. I have found just applying back to black works well on a clean and lightly faded plastic trim but for the stuff with oxidation I have found that when I wash the car a 3m pad (scrubby side of a kitchen sponge) will get the oxidation off (don't have to go overboard with the pressure) and when it dries just use your favorite product (back to black, etc..)

My dad is a marine (ie nautical, not military) guy and swears by formula 303 for vinyl on plastic and rubber. The canopy on his boat still beads water after a year and looks great. I use it on the interior of my cars and it seems to work well, and it has the added benefit of uv protection.

I just got an 06 kj and the rear bumper has a lot of oxidation (easily scrapes off with my fingernail) so I will post some before/after when I get around to it this weekend.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first post, but I have always had a hard time with plastic trim going chalky and fading on me. I have found just applying back to black works well on a clean and lightly faded plastic trim but for the stuff with oxidation I have found that when I wash the car a 3m pad (scrubby side of a kitchen sponge) will get the oxidation off (don't have to go overboard with the pressure) and when it dries just use your favorite product (back to black, etc..)

My dad is a marine (ie nautical, not military) guy and swears by formula 303 for vinyl on plastic and rubber. The canopy on his boat still beads water after a year and looks great. I use it on the interior of my cars and it seems to work well, and it has the added benefit of uv protection.

I just got an 06 kj and the rear bumper has a lot of oxidation (easily scrapes off with my fingernail) so I will post some before/after when I get around to it this weekend.

Welcome!!! Let us know how it goes.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do this on my door handles, door sills/guards, roof rack, etc..
speedracerbubba, we're looking forward to seeing before/after shots, oh and Welcome to the Jeep KJ Country.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally forgot about this, sorry guys.
I tried the 3m pad with the soapy water and where I really put elbow grease into it there is a difference, but not enough to constitute using this method. I guess the KJ has been washed enough that the oxidization doesn't just scrape off like our work vans and my old cars used to.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was oxidation cause I can scrape it off with my nail.
I know, I'll call it frosting! :)

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and f.y.i. for everyone on here, you can get the bondo restore black at walmart. look in the auto paint section.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
303 worker like any other vinyl protectant. Soaks in I guess as gray is back in minutes. Mothers back to black outlasted Formula 303 by mere minutes. Bondo Restore has lasted for 4 months but is due another coat. Warning about Bondo: Use gloves. It's lake a stain for plastic and will stain skin and get on/under fingernails. I looked like I was going Goth .... which I'm not ..... but it did go well with my *** .....

Last edited:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a good method to fix the whitened bumper issue? Anyone try the heat gun (before / after) pics?

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a heat to restore sun damaged plastics before. The results depend on the specific type of plastic. For example, a heat gun will work on the bumper mounted fog lights on the renegades, but not on the roof rack rail end mounts. As for the rear bumper I have not tried it so I can't say.

jettyspicer

Reaction score
I use a 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and linseed oil. I mix 2 oz. of each and put on with a clean rag. Wipe off access with another rag. I read about this online and it works great. It will last about 6 months. Takes about 15 minutes and is very inexpensive.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most all products on the market only work for a short while. They put some oils back in but not enough for over a few short months.
Peanut butter works just as well as most all 15-20-30 dollar crap on the market
While heating does work, its just pulling more oils to the top, which then there now is even less. Have to remember how plastic is made and from what products.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.